Windows XP LAN card can't be detected

Reaction score
hi

I have installed windows XP on my latitiude D630, then when I install visual studio 2005, it confused and go to BLUE screen. after that, when I try to change my IP, it goes to blue screen and my lan card (it is a braodcom card) corrutpted!!

I update its driver, and its problem solved partially, and sometime it not work. after that when I want to install eset smart security, it harmed again and display message "a network cable is unplugged", I heard someone that uninstalling and reinstalling device may be helpful and I did it, but this time lan card did not detected at all. I try every solution that I found in internet and none of them work for me, Can anyone give me some guidance please? It is noticeable that when I go to safe mode every thing is fine, It says "this device work properly" and there is no problem with device driver.

Reaction score
The card could be faulty?
When it's installed are any lights on, on the card?

Reaction score
Chances are that your registry is now corrupted.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the device showing fault will not remove the corrupt registry keys, instead it creates a new instance of the device.
When windows boots up it loads the drivers and references in the registry.

If your extremely confident with regedit you can manually remove the entries, however, if your not, don't. Removing the wrong entry can prevent certain devices from ever working, unless you reload the o/s.

Advice..... backup and reload. (Redownload visual studio and install it incase it was corrupt and caused the crash).
Other possibilties are that your HD has sustained minimal damage (clusters etc), this is very common amongst laptop HD's and has caused me various issues like this in the past.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot JaLing for his help, I uninstall device and then run registry cleaner tool, and after restarting the NIC appear. But now there is another problem, it gets the message "a network cable is unplugged", but when I go to device manager everything is fine. It says "this device work properly" and there is no problem with device driver, Do you have any idea to solve it? It is noticable that I do common tips like checking cable and etc

Reaction score
Is there any lights on the card now its installed? Have you tried another cable to see if that corrects the issuse?

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
I change "speed & duplex" option from auto to 100 MB full, and the light become on, but still I have a problem.َ Alternatively coneconnection fails and "a network cable is unplugged" message is appeared. I think it is of hardware, is it true?

Reaction score
Boot it into safe mode.

Enter device manager and in view enable hidden devices.
Remove everything that has the name (or chipset) of ur nic in it.
Reinstall the device in windows (normal).

This is gonna sound really stupid.... the Dell Latitude D630 has a power saving feature in one of the network interface control programs in control panel.
By default if you unplug the laptop from power it uses a power saving feature which semi-disables all nic devices, they report as unplugged.
The only way to re-enable them is to reboot with power plugged in.
(I always disable these power saving features..... I'd rather a laptop that worked 100% for 2hours than one at 50% for 3)

Ask a Question