"Knowledge Management Policy"

Dennis D.

To: Microsoft Corporation
From: Undersigned
Subject: Knowledge Management Policy

Dear Sirs:

Executive Brief: Author and implement a comprehensive knowledge management
policy.

Symptoms:
1. Current search engines require scanning of very large resources to find
very small resources.
2. Default directory names in Windows Operating Systems as My Documents, My
pictures are machine related, rather than informational.

Treatment: Adopt a knowledge management policy that is logical and
intelligent, and apply it all products, services, systems, and data,
especially to personal computer operating systems and storage solutions .

Result: KM policy will be implemented by user (machine and human) methods.

Meaning: A user will see information organized in a logical hierarchical
system.

Interpretation: If you want to adopt a strategy of separating applications
from data, then do it, but do it in an intelligent manner. Both the methods
of storage and the content must be logically organized. A user should know
that on any system, whether it be a document system, a storage system, or an
operating system, that a piece of information concerning an atom will be
found in a subtopic of molecule in an applied knowledge management
hierarchy.

Application: Naming storage drives a: b: c: is intelligent only if the
knowledge management system hierarchical object is naturally alphabetic. In
the application/data scenerio, why not name drives: Applications: Data:, or
better, suggest a naming strategy from Library Science such as, Humanities,
Physical Science, and Social Science? People are involved with Taxonomy, and
Microsoft should lead the charge, because it is developing the tools that
make people smarter.

Human knowledge can be logically organized. Digital systems must find and
apply algorithms that translate information into something logical,
meaningful, and useful. This incorporates the idea that the solutions
Microsoft provides should, by definition, consider and implement a baseline
knowledge management architecture that can categorize sensory or mechanical
analogs. A knowledge management policy provides the wheels for intelligent
systems.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How to Contact the Microsoft Wish Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;114491

Microsoft Product Enhancement Suggestions
http://register.microsoft.com/mswis...=/isapi/gomscom.asp?target=/mswish/thanks.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| To: Microsoft Corporation
| From: Undersigned
| Subject: Knowledge Management Policy
|
| Dear Sirs:
|
| Executive Brief: Author and implement a comprehensive knowledge management
| policy.
|
| Symptoms:
| 1. Current search engines require scanning of very large resources to find
| very small resources.
| 2. Default directory names in Windows Operating Systems as My Documents, My
| pictures are machine related, rather than informational.
|
| Treatment: Adopt a knowledge management policy that is logical and
| intelligent, and apply it all products, services, systems, and data,
| especially to personal computer operating systems and storage solutions .
|
| Result: KM policy will be implemented by user (machine and human) methods.
|
| Meaning: A user will see information organized in a logical hierarchical
| system.
|
| Interpretation: If you want to adopt a strategy of separating applications
| from data, then do it, but do it in an intelligent manner. Both the methods
| of storage and the content must be logically organized. A user should know
| that on any system, whether it be a document system, a storage system, or an
| operating system, that a piece of information concerning an atom will be
| found in a subtopic of molecule in an applied knowledge management
| hierarchy.
|
| Application: Naming storage drives a: b: c: is intelligent only if the
| knowledge management system hierarchical object is naturally alphabetic. In
| the application/data scenerio, why not name drives: Applications: Data:, or
| better, suggest a naming strategy from Library Science such as, Humanities,
| Physical Science, and Social Science? People are involved with Taxonomy, and
| Microsoft should lead the charge, because it is developing the tools that
| make people smarter.
|
| Human knowledge can be logically organized. Digital systems must find and
| apply algorithms that translate information into something logical,
| meaningful, and useful. This incorporates the idea that the solutions
| Microsoft provides should, by definition, consider and implement a baseline
| knowledge management architecture that can categorize sensory or mechanical
| analogs. A knowledge management policy provides the wheels for intelligent
| systems.
|
| --
| Dennis D.,

Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

| To: Microsoft Corporation
| From: Undersigned
| Subject: Knowledge Management Policy
|
| Dear Sirs:
|
| Executive Brief: Author and implement a comprehensive knowledge management
| policy.
|
| Symptoms:
| 1. Current search engines require scanning of very large resources to find
| very small resources.
| 2. Default directory names in Windows Operating Systems as My Documents,
My
| pictures are machine related, rather than informational.
|
| Treatment: Adopt a knowledge management policy that is logical and
| intelligent, and apply it all products, services, systems, and data,
| especially to personal computer operating systems and storage solutions .
|
| Result: KM policy will be implemented by user (machine and human) methods.
|
| Meaning: A user will see information organized in a logical hierarchical
| system.
|
| Interpretation: If you want to adopt a strategy of separating applications
| from data, then do it, but do it in an intelligent manner. Both the
methods
| of storage and the content must be logically organized. A user should know
| that on any system, whether it be a document system, a storage system, or
an
| operating system, that a piece of information concerning an atom will be
| found in a subtopic of molecule in an applied knowledge management
| hierarchy.
|
| Application: Naming storage drives a: b: c: is intelligent only if the
| knowledge management system hierarchical object is naturally alphabetic.
In
| the application/data scenerio, why not name drives: Applications: Data:,
or
| better, suggest a naming strategy from Library Science such as,
Humanities,
| Physical Science, and Social Science? People are involved with Taxonomy,
and
| Microsoft should lead the charge, because it is developing the tools that
| make people smarter.
|
| Human knowledge can be logically organized. Digital systems must find and
| apply algorithms that translate information into something logical,
| meaningful, and useful. This incorporates the idea that the solutions
| Microsoft provides should, by definition, consider and implement a
baseline
| knowledge management architecture that can categorize sensory or
mechanical
| analogs. A knowledge management policy provides the wheels for intelligent
| systems.
|
| --
| Dennis D.,
| http://www.dennisys.com/

There are far too many people in positions of responsibility who write crap
like this, and by extension think in gobbeldy-gook. The OP is advised to
find and read the essay by George Orwell entitled "Politics and the English
Language," and then come back when he's learned to write clearly.

Dennis D.

Thanks Carey Frisch:
This is a recommendation for a corporate policy. I expect someone in Redmond
will read it, look at their file tree, and figure things could be better.
Seems that after the invention of newsgroups people chucked aside the idea
of inventing and maintaining a categorical information architecture for the
personal computer.

Dennis D.

Dennis D.

There are far too many people in positions of responsibility who write
crap
like this, and by extension think in gobbeldy-gook. The OP is advised to
find and read the essay by George Orwell entitled "Politics and the
English
Language," and then come back when he's learned to write clearly.
news:%[email protected]...

re fr mny crp, nd gobbeldy-gook. OP dvised nd red essy nd the
Lnguage," nd bck lerned clerly. There too in of who write like this,
by extension in the is to find the by entitled " English then come when
he's to write

People in positions of responsibility think George Orwell is politics.

Ray Jay, no doubt an executive would find him or herself LTAO after scanning
the message, but the point is made.

Currently I am reading:
http://www.cluetrain.com/book/index.html
It is more important that I keep the battery charged on my forklift than to
read anything by George Orwell.
Sleep well Ray Jay. Sleep well.

Urs n Chrst,
B|a, B|a, B|a

Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

| > There are far too many people in positions of responsibility who write
| > crap
| > like this, and by extension think in gobbeldy-gook. The OP is advised
| > find and read the essay by George Orwell entitled "Politics and the
| > English
| > Language," and then come back when he's learned to write clearly.
| > |
| re fr mny crp, nd gobbeldy-gook. OP dvised nd red essy nd the
| Lnguage," nd bck lerned clerly. There too in of who write like this,
| by extension in the is to find the by entitled " English then come when
| he's to write
|
| People in positions of responsibility think George Orwell is politics.
|
| Ray Jay, no doubt an executive would find him or herself LTAO after
scanning
| the message, but the point is made.
|
| Currently I am reading:
| http://www.cluetrain.com/book/index.html
| It is more important that I keep the battery charged on my forklift than
| read anything by George Orwell.
| Sleep well Ray Jay. Sleep well.
|
| Urs n Chrst,
| B|a, B|a, B|a

| > | From: Undersigned
| > | Subject: Knowledge Management Policy
| > |
| > | Dear Sirs:
| > |
| > | Executive Brief: Author and implement a comprehensive knowledge
| > management
| > | policy.
| > |
| > | Symptoms:
| > | 1. Current search engines require scanning of very large resources to
| > find
| > | very small resources.
| > | 2. Default directory names in Windows Operating Systems as My
Documents,
| > My
| > | pictures are machine related, rather than informational.
| > |
| > | Treatment: Adopt a knowledge management policy that is logical and
| > | intelligent, and apply it all products, services, systems, and data,
| > | especially to personal computer operating systems and storage
solutions
| > .
| > |
| > | Result: KM policy will be implemented by user (machine and human)
| > methods.
| > |
| > | Meaning: A user will see information organized in a logical
hierarchical
| > | system.
| > |
| > | Interpretation: If you want to adopt a strategy of separating
| > applications
| > | from data, then do it, but do it in an intelligent manner. Both the
| > methods
| > | of storage and the content must be logically organized. A user should
| > know
| > | that on any system, whether it be a document system, a storage system,
| > or
| > an
| > | operating system, that a piece of information concerning an atom will
be
| > | found in a subtopic of molecule in an applied knowledge management
| > | hierarchy.
| > |
Data:,
| > or
| > | better, suggest a naming strategy from Library Science such as,
| > Humanities,
| > | Physical Science, and Social Science? People are involved with
Taxonomy,
| > and
| > | Microsoft should lead the charge, because it is developing the tools
| > that
| > | make people smarter.
| > |
| > | Human knowledge can be logically organized. Digital systems must find
| > and
| > | apply algorithms that translate information into something logical,
| > | meaningful, and useful. This incorporates the idea that the solutions
| > | Microsoft provides should, by definition, consider and implement a
| > baseline
| > | knowledge management architecture that can categorize sensory or
| > mechanical
| > | analogs. A knowledge management policy provides the wheels for
| > intelligent
| > | systems.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Dennis D.,
| > | http://www.dennisys.com/
| > |

Thanks for confirming my initial impression.

Dennis D.

So you're just a troll trying to stir up arguments.

This subject began in an attempt to design config files.

One of the things Microsoft prides itself in is the number of ways a task
can be accomplished. This leaves a lot of latitude to the user, but the user
is often confused by the number of choices, not understanding the
differences between them. The remedy is to exercise discipline over the
latitude. One way to achieve that discipline is to organize the subjects
logically.

The default naming structure in the file system does not favor logical
organization. Examples are: Program Files, and My Documents. In either case,
a search engine is the best remedy to find a utility or document when there
are literally thousands of choices in a file tree. As we all know, sorting
alphabetically falls short primarily due to naming of programs and
documents. Example: I want an antivirus program. It is not named antivirus.
It is under N for SymaNtec. The firewall not named firewall, it is under Z
for ZoneAlarm. So goodbye "program files", hello
science.computer.security.zonealarm.

As PC storage and networking grow to hold terabytes of data and millions of
files, it becomes apparent that it would be better if the information was
organized into traditional knowledge groups, thereby shortening search times
for the user.

Another consideration is that with the PC, especially the home PC, there are
multiple uses for the machine, where in business the software is limited and
easily configured. I would tend to design for the home PC (network) where
the most sophisticated projects can live peacefully with the more mundane
utilities organized by a subject classification system, or more accurately,
under a knowledge management system. That KM system should be part of the
system design.

D.

Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

| >So you're just a troll trying to stir up arguments.
|
| This subject began in an attempt to design config files.
|
| One of the things Microsoft prides itself in is the number of ways a task
| can be accomplished. This leaves a lot of latitude to the user, but the
user
| is often confused by the number of choices, not understanding the
| differences between them. The remedy is to exercise discipline over the
| latitude.

"Discipline the latitude" is Newspeak for "dumb the system down."

|One way to achieve that discipline is to organize the subjects
| logically.

Thus removing the "latitude" for the user to decide what's logical within a
given context.

| The default naming structure in the file system does not favor logical
| organization. Examples are: Program Files, and My Documents. In either
case,
| a search engine is the best remedy to find a utility or document when
there
| are literally thousands of choices in a file tree. As we all know, sorting
| alphabetically falls short primarily due to naming of programs and
| documents. Example: I want an antivirus program. It is not named
antivirus.
| It is under N for SymaNtec. The firewall not named firewall, it is under Z
| for ZoneAlarm. So goodbye "program files", hello
| science.computer.security.zonealarm.

Where did "science" come from? What good is "computer"? Isn't it bloody
obvious? What prevents a user from using his "latitude" to create the
directory structure you suggest, if that's what works best for him?

| As PC storage and networking grow to hold terabytes of data and millions
of
| files, it becomes apparent that it would be better if the information was
| organized into traditional knowledge groups, thereby shortening search
times
| for the user.

There's no such thing as a "traditional knowledge group" except in the minds
of people like you who want to dumb everything down to their own level, and
to hell with anyone who has the temerity to think for himself.

| Another consideration is that with the PC, especially the home PC, there
are
| multiple uses for the machine, where in business the software is limited
and
| easily configured. I would tend to design for the home PC (network) where
| the most sophisticated projects can live peacefully with the more mundane
| utilities organized by a subject classification system, or more
accurately,
| under a knowledge management system. That KM system should be part of the
| system design.

And by making a "knowledge management system" part of the system design,
what you're proposing is imposing your myopic and intellectually lazy view
of organization on the world at large. Go ahead and configure your own
computer to a level of simplicity commensurate with your own intellectual
deficit, and leave mine alone.

| D.

| >> If it were necessary, then it would be useless.
| >> d.

| > --
| > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
| > Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
| > http://www.fjsmjs.com
| > Protect your PC
| > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

Dennis D.

The Dewey decimal system in a library does not dumb down the library. It
makes it more functional.
Yes it is an imposed strategy, but the application of it is planned and
dynamic. If you think about it, schools, hospitals, and government offices
are constituted under some undefined organized naming system. KM gives a
name to the method of organization, and specifies a plan for implementation.

That is no where more important than in information processing, especially
in intelligent systems. Microsoft could, and should, be a leader in the
field. IBM has already accepted the challenge, and produces product
specifically to help with KM in the workplace. Neither corporation seems to
have a KM policy at the corporate level, or at least I have been unable to
find one, and that is where it should exist.

Could be that it is a difficult process, a challenge, to create a (any)
policy with such a broad spectrum, and the idea of creating a somewhat
restrictive policy on information systems is not in line with things as they
are now (the status quo). All the more reason to pursue it I say.

D.

Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

Dennis said:
[...]

You can't even organize your own thinking, let alone a "knowledge
management system." Your Dewey Decimal System analogy is irrelevant. You
want to manage *my* library. I don't think so. And you don't think.

Dennis D.

Thank you Colin Barnhorst.
People under-estimate the power of newsgroups, especially this one.

Respectfully,
D.

Colin Barnhorst said:
I'm old fashioned. To me what remains is simply to read the books. :)

Dennis D. said:
I add that books organize information. What remains is to organize the
books, and then the libraries.

D.
http://www.dennisys.com/

Dennis D.

Carey Frisch: I made some minor edits and submitted it to the wish program,
but never received an acknowledgment or reply. Probably forwarded to the big
Chinese bit basket.

Will Microsoft, Intel, and AMD begin selling off their stuff to China, which
won't need to hire tech support from India, while US techs will be required
to minor in Manderin?

Thank you for the suggestion.

Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

| Carey Frisch: I made some minor edits and submitted it to the wish
program,
| but never received an acknowledgment or reply. Probably forwarded to the
big | Chinese bit basket.

Wow, there's a big surprise. I bet they didn't can it before passing it
around and having a good laugh, though.

| Will Microsoft, Intel, and AMD begin selling off their stuff to China,
which
| won't need to hire tech support from India, while US techs will be
required
| to minor in Manderin?

Do you mean "Mandarin"? Looks like you'd better do a little work on English
before tackling Chinese.

| Thank you for the suggestion.
|
| | > How to Contact the Microsoft Wish Program
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;114491
| >
| > Microsoft Product Enhancement Suggestions

http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp?from=cu&fu=/isapi/go
mscom%2Easp%3Ftarget%3D%2Fmswish%2Fthanks%2Ehtm

| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| >
| > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
| > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

| > "Dennis D." wrote:
| >
| > | To: Microsoft Corporation
| > | From: Undersigned
| > | Subject: Knowledge Management Policy
| > |
| > | Dear Sirs:
| > |
| > | Executive Brief: Author and implement a comprehensive knowledge
| > management
| > | policy.
| > |
| > | Symptoms:
| > | 1. Current search engines require scanning of very large resources to
| > find
| > | very small resources.
| > | 2. Default directory names in Windows Operating Systems as My
Documents,
| > My
| > | pictures are machine related, rather than informational.
| > |
| > | Treatment: Adopt a knowledge management policy that is logical and
| > | intelligent, and apply it all products, services, systems, and data,
| > | especially to personal computer operating systems and storage
solutions
| > .
| > |
| > | Result: KM policy will be implemented by user (machine and human)
| > methods.
| > |
| > | Meaning: A user will see information organized in a logical
hierarchical
| > | system.
| > |
| > | Interpretation: If you want to adopt a strategy of separating
| > applications
| > | from data, then do it, but do it in an intelligent manner. Both the
| > methods
| > | of storage and the content must be logically organized. A user should
| > know
| > | that on any system, whether it be a document system, a storage system,
| > or an
| > | operating system, that a piece of information concerning an atom will
be
| > | found in a subtopic of molecule in an applied knowledge management
| > | hierarchy.
| > |
Data:,
| > or
| > | better, suggest a naming strategy from Library Science such as,
| > Humanities,
| > | Physical Science, and Social Science? People are involved with
Taxonomy,
| > and
| > | Microsoft should lead the charge, because it is developing the tools
| > that
| > | make people smarter.
| > |
| > | Human knowledge can be logically organized. Digital systems must find
| > and
| > | apply algorithms that translate information into something logical,
| > | meaningful, and useful. This incorporates the idea that the solutions
| > | Microsoft provides should, by definition, consider and implement a
| > baseline
| > | knowledge management architecture that can categorize sensory or
| > mechanical
| > | analogs. A knowledge management policy provides the wheels for
| > intelligent
| > | systems.
| > |