Knoppix/Lunix help, regarding modem

R.L

Hi, I have finally (successfully) downloaded Knoppix on a dial
up and gave it a try. It booted up with CD fine and I like its
interface a lot. However, can't get it to connect to the
internet. Tested every COM port. It seems that all ports
report modem busy except COM1, for which Knoppix gave out a
message saying that modem is not responding or occupied (or
something like that, forgot the real specific words). Where can
I get some info showing me that what modem would not work with
linux (or knoppix)? I am using a Dell data fax modem.

Thanks

dszady

Hi, I have finally (successfully) downloaded Knoppix on a dial up and gave
it a try. It booted up with CD fine and I like its interface a lot.
However, can't get it to connect to the internet. Tested every COM port.
It seems that all ports report modem busy except COM1, for which Knoppix
gave out a message saying that modem is not responding or occupied (or
something like that, forgot the real specific words). Where can I get
some info showing me that what modem would not work with linux (or
knoppix)? I am using a Dell data fax modem.

Something I have learned to find a good group to ask any legitimate Linux
(non-Flame) question: (Your example below - ignore the keyword brackets)

Google Groups > Advanced Search >
Find messages with the exact phrase <Knoppix>
with at least one of the words <modem>
<Sort by relevence> - if you give the exact build of Knoppix
Newsgroup Return only messages from the newsgroup <*Linux*> (Meaning
all Linux groups)
Results: 1 - 30 of about 2,120 for Modem "Knoppix" group:*linux*. (0.08
seconds) listing four groups that are probably safe to ask in. Comes in
handy.
Or forums in:
http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org/

R.L

... Where can I get some info showing me that what
modem would not work with linux (or knoppix)? I am using a
Dell data fax modem.

Thanks for the replies.

The documentations I found on the Internet about modem and
linux all seem quite complicated (especially when I am using
Knoppix on a CD and it is hard to figure out the "drive"
mapping). I think I got the right port for my modem, I got
Kppp to say that my modem is ready, only that it sits at
"initializing modem".

I also downloaded a program to scan the modem type in knoppix
but again, the files generated after the scan are again very
complicated to read. I guess I will have to put Knoppix
aside for a while and wait until I have more time at hand to
figure it out.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

-- RL

Max

"R.L" <ringomeinew(removehere)@hotmail(remove).com> says in
Thanks for the replies.

The documentations I found on the Internet about modem and linux
all seem quite complicated (especially when I am using Knoppix on
a CD and it is hard to figure out the "drive" mapping). I think I
got the right port for my modem, I got Kppp to say that my modem
is ready, only that it sits at "initializing modem".

First, become an expert in the hardware you own by reading over the
supplied printed docs. Back this up by going to the manufactures
site and double checking the info (patches or upgrades?). If you
must, send an email to them and ask if linux is known to work with
the modem.

Next, if you plan on asking a question about linux in a group based
on Gates butt-hole, be more precise. Is the modem a dial-up,
win-modem or something else?. Is the modem internal or external?. Is
it a plug and pray device? ISA or PCI? Just what *exact* model of
Dell modem are you using? etc... This also applies to asking
questions in a linux group. Leave no stone unturned. The less one
has to guess the better the results. Common sense I think.
I also downloaded a program to scan the modem type in knoppix but
again, the files generated after the scan are again very
complicated to read. I guess I will have to put Knoppix aside for
a while and wait until I have more time at hand to figure it out.

Typical windows user you are. Meet resistance (Wah!!! Too hard to
understand) and give up!. I had a very similar situation with my
Zoom faxmodem when I first installed Slackware. Oddly, I'm thinking
it was exactly as you described it in your OP. I finally solved it
by toying around with the 'isapnp' tools and suppling 'setserial'
with the proper values in rc.local -> (wouldn't it be funny if all
you needed was a proper 'setserial' command?). Unfortunately,
knoppix doesn't fully allow you this latitude without installing to
your HD. Hence, get a real distro and experiment there. Mandrake or
an older version of Redhat might be nice. Suse, if you want to pay
for it. Debian or Slackware if you want knowledge.

You can also hunt down a few of the UMSDOS (file-system) versions of
linux. These don't require partitioning a HD and install directly
under a windows file system (fat/vfat). Use google and look for
dragon linux (pathetically old), peanut linux (Redhat based, more
modern, and I *DID* get my modem to work with this!!!), or use other
appropriate search terms. Using 'Live CDs' is only good for preview,
testing, and/or repair purposes! Linux is never best served via a
'LiveCD'. Too bad the Gates smurfs don't comprehend this.

If you were initially impressed with knoppix, I'd urge you to find
and settle on a proper distro. If you don't actually have a
winmodem, you're just a hop, skip, and jump from having linux access
the Inet.

Good luck!
Thanks for the replies anyway.

Reply. You only got one reply up until now.

Max