I have an XP Pro machine that seems to 'disable' both
mouse and keyboard when it starts up, making it
impossible to operate the machine. The hardware works
perfectly, e.g. the keyboard can be used to access the
BIOS, but as soon as Windows loads, the keyboard lights
flash off and it no longer works. The mouse, too, is
completely non-functional once Windows has loaded - this
is the situation even in Safe Mode. Is it some kind of
virus? Other peoples keyboards dont work and it cant be the USB ports as they function with other devices fine. Any help please? Cheers

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oops

One reason many of us like to have an old PS2 mouse & keyboard handy ... they will work, as long as your PC ain't dead. ;)

Go into the BIOS ... look for the USB Legacy Support setting. Usually, this setting is found under the Advanced, Peripheral, or Peripheral Configuration menu, however your BIOS may be different.

Select USB Legacy Support and change the setting to Enabled. Do not change any other BIOS settings.

If this setting is already set, then I suggest using a PS2 mouse & keyboard and tell us a bit more on what your PC is, especially what keyboard/mouse you are using. Make of motherboard may help too. :thumb:

USB ain't very popular with me, since 95, it still is very problematic. :D

:user:

Reaction score
Tried your suggestion and had no luck as its already enabled.

My system is as follows:

System:
Dell system DC051
BIOS Version A02

Processor:
Processor type: Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4
CPU 3.00ghz
Clock speed 3.0ghz
Bus speed 800mhz
L2 Cache 1mb

Hyperthreadings on

Memory:
Installed 1gb
Speed 533mhz
Channel Dual Interleaved
Tech DDR2 SDRam

As for my keyboard and mouse they're just the standard ones you recieve wth a Dell computer with USB connections. Although i've tried them in someone elses comp and they have worked just fine. Likewise putting someone elses mouse/keyboard in my comp they dont work. Defo something up with my comp and not the actual mouse/keyboard. Any help would be appreciated, cheers Dan

muckshifter

Reaction score
ouch!

OK, but I suggest getting hold of a PS2 mouse & keyboard, even a loan will do, as it does look like Windows may be the culprit ... then one can at least start "looking" for the problem, starting with device mangler.

Reaction score
New year blues

Hi finally got hold of an old PS2 set but still not sure how to connect them to my PC, unless i got my wires crossed. You did mean a keyboard and mouse with an old style connection (small and round with little dimples)? My PC still wont live and a local comp shop i went too wouldn't touch it! Cheers

Reaction score
Yup thats the one im on about, i haven't got these connections on my comp. I've just been using the ones supplied to use in the USB ports. Any other ideas? As im completley stumped! Cheers!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry, you got me ... never seen a PC, or a laptop, that didn't have at least one PS/2 port.

:confused:

Dell Hell !! :rolleyes:

What is the full name of your Dell ?

muckshifter

Reaction score
err, I have a few suggestions ... don't think you'll like them though. ;)

Not sure if a good lawyer could interpret the distant sales act to ... not fit for the purpose. :D

Sorry, I haven't trusted USB since its incarnation in 1994 ... one day we may see USB host controller, hub controller, and device controllers unified to work out of the box. :lol:

Reaction score
Cheers for your help anyway! How do i wipe it safely myself? I have all the startup disks and software to get a new comp running again!

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm not to sure how you do it on a Dell ... if your keyboard & mouse work when accessing the BIOS then it should work by booting to the first CD needed to reinstall.

I would be tempted to try a "Linux Live CD" to recover any inportant data, not that hard for a novice, just have a big enough USB drive or do it in stages. You may even get to use your re-writer.

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Ask a Question