Kaspersky Labs: Warning over Russian anti-virus software

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The British government has issued a fresh warning about the security risks of using Russian anti-virus software.

The National Cyber Security Centre is to write to all government departments warning against using the products for systems related to national security.

The UK cyber-security agency will say the software could be exploited by the Russian government.

Security firm Kaspersky Labs, accused in the US of being used by the Russian state for espionage, denied wrongdoing.

Kaspersky Labs is widely used by consumers and businesses across the globe, as well as by some parts of the UK government.

Around the world, 400 million people use Kaspersky products.

Read the full story over on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42202191

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Interesting that Barclays are stopping offering it to their customers. I have Kaspersky through Barclays so I hope this is nothing to worry about. Not that there is anything of importance on my system.

Certainly making me think about switching to Windows own AV.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
They're really scaring overs off Kaspersky, which is a shame as I really like it... but it does make me wonder if I should be switching away.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Methinks this is the UK government being a little over-sensitive, worrying that just because the AV software originates from Russia they'll automatically be trying to snaffle info from UK businesses and citizens residing here.

I think we should worry more about Google and Microsoft when it comes to being snooped upon and that if there's any AV software - indeed any software - originating from China or North Korea then that would be something to worry about.

Our governments announcement could very likely lead to Kaspersky going under which would almost amount to industrial sabotage.

I also think we should only worry about Russia becoming hostile if America - or more specifically its current President - continues to sabre wave and antagonise them with overly aggressive gestures and rhetoric.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
we just following 'murica.

The Sky is not falling. (see what I did there) :lol:

Ask a Question