Jump Menus & Include Page

G

I now have several jump menus on one page (thanks to the help of this site). I would like to have the linked pages appear on the same page as the jump menus -- below them. Is there a way to do this using only FP. If not, is there a way to do this at all? How?

Adela

T

Thomas A. Rowe

You would have to load the link into an IFrame.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
==============================================

Adela D said:
I now have several jump menus on one page (thanks to the help of this site). I would like to have
the linked pages appear on the same page as the jump menus -- below them. Is there a way to do this
using only FP. If not, is there a way to do this at all? How?

G

(1) Is an "IFrame" an "inline frame?" If so, does in inline frame always look like a text area?

(2) Do I need to know anything else besides FP to do this? Do I have to write (or find/buy) a script? Or would it be something like... the link is activated from the jump menu causing the target page to load... but instead of loading, I can do something with that page to make it load into the inline frame? So, I have to add something to each target page? If this is correct, is there a function in FP that will help me do this?

J

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP MVP]

See inline.

nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.frontpage.client/<[email protected]>

(1) Is an "IFrame" an "inline frame?" If so, does in inline frame always look like a text area?
Yes, and No, how it looks depend entirely on the page you load in the iframe.
(2) Do I need to know anything else besides FP to do this? Do I have to write (or find/buy) a script? Or would it be something like... the link is activated from the jump menu causing the target page to load... but instead of loading, I can do something with that page to make it load into the inline frame? So, I have to add something to each target page? If this is correct, is there a function in FP that will help me do this? Yes, you just set the target to be the iframe.
Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

G

Jens,
When I went to the URL, I only saw my message.

I have my jump menus on the page.
I have an inline frame below (Frame1).
In the jump menu behaviors dialogue box, I opted for the URLs to appear in Frame1, as opposed to page default or new window. The follow line of code appears in the HTML.
<option value="#" onchange="FP_jumpMenu(this,'frames[\'Frame1\']',false)">Science - Select one.</option>

However, when I preview the page and the first jump menu, the target page still appears in its own window.

Can you give me just a little more detail? I've gotten a headache from all searches I've done with some combination of the words: IFrame, menu, target, onload. I've gotten close but not close enough to figure this out. I am at the totally stumped level.

J

View it in a browser instead.

nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.frontpage.client/<[email protected]>

Jens,

In the jump menu behaviors dialogue box, I opted for the URLs to appear in Frame1, as opposed to page default or new window. The follow line of code appears in the HTML.
<option value="#" onchange="FP_jumpMenu(this,'frames[\'Frame1\']',false)">Science - Select one.</option>

However, when I preview the page and the first jump menu, the target page still appears in its own window.

G

Yes. I always preview in a browser (from the icon at the top of the Window). I've only previewed in IE, because I just also previewed in Netscape. Same thing happens in both browsers.

Maybe this is not worth all the trouble, and users will find this more cumbersome than going to a new page, but I really would have liked to make it work so I could decide for myself.

Thank you.

J

And you are sure the name of the Iframe are Frame1? By default FP would have called it I1 but perhaps you changed it?

Yes. I always preview in a browser (from the icon at the top of the Window). I've only previewed in IE, because I just also previewed in Netscape. Same thing happens in both browsers.

Maybe this is not worth all the trouble, and users will find this more cumbersome than going to a new page, but I really would have liked to make it work so I could decide for myself.

Thank you.

Jens Peter Karlsen said:

Jens,

[microsoft.public.frontpage.client]

G

I changed the name. Was that a mistake?

Jens Peter Karlsen said:
And you are sure the name of the Iframe are Frame1? By default FP would have called it I1 but perhaps you changed it?

Thank you.

Jens Peter Karlsen said:

Jens,

G

Jens, I feel really stupid having to admit this, but I thought it was the fair thing to do.

Since I had set up my pages with no awareness of or intention to use jump menus... here it comes... I set them up on template pages. So... I put one on a blank page and tried again. You know the answer... it worked :)

So, the basis task were very simple. I just messed it up. Who could have expected someone to make such a basic error?

Adela

Jens Peter Karlsen said:

Thank you.

Jens Peter Karlsen said:

Jens,

Ask a Question