I've had my first driving lesson...

Reaction score
At the ripe old age of 21.

In a two hour lesson I pulled off, changed gear, pulled up and did a hill start. I've never even been in a drivers seat before.

I don't know if that is good or not for a first lesson, but I am worried because I didn't feel in control of the car at all.

Instead of feeling relieved at doing it, which I thought I would, I just feel daunted that I don't seem to be able to do it. I felt really edgy and I don't see how I'm ever going to be able to control a car, let alone anything else.

:(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't worry, if you've never driven before it's going to be a bit daunting at first - after a few more lessons you'll start to feel more comfortable with it. If you're doing hill starts in your first lesson then you must be doing something right ;).

Stick with it, as the more lessons you do the more comfortable you'll be :nod:.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I took my driving lessons in a ... bus.

it was several years before I got behind the wheel of a car. :)

ask your instructor to bring one along next time, they imbue a lot of confidence when you see other road users go out of their way to get out of your way when they see the 'L' plates :lol:

the time to 'worry' is when your instructor screams, 'o my god, nooooo' :nod:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
My first driving experience was with go-karts as a kid. I was probably about 8 or 9. The first time round, I was nervous. After the first run, my dad goes "what's wrong with you? just hold down the gas pedal."

I have had an obsession with speed ever since.

Also, I find that driving a large box truck for a bit then jumping in a small car helps to get over the nervousness of driving in general. If you can park the giant thing, chances are you can whip around the small car without an issue.

good luck!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well done for taking the plunge PotGuy. I think it's perfectly natural to be feeling the way you do, after your first driving lesson.

Don't tell anyone.... but when I was learning, I would sometimes find myself pulling back on the steering wheel on a downhill run, because psychologically, I was "helping" the car not to run-away with me! Totally daft, but it didn't last, once I found that the gears and brakes were doing a perfectly good job on their own! Lol I went on to pass first time, so take heart.

Confidence will grow as you become more accustomed to the controls and the feel of the vehicle. Try not to worry. Feel proud of yourself for having tackled a hill-start so soon! They're not particularly easy for an absolute beginner, so well don PG!! :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
:eek:

Hemel isn't that far from me!!!

:p

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Well done Potguy. The lessons will get easier and you will become more confident as you take more :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Hill starts are tricky, so well done for doing one in your first lesson! As everyone else has said, it gets easier with time and practice.

I think men make better drivers when they learn a few years after their 17th birthday too ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing ok to me Potguy, most first lessons just involve becoming oriented with the vehicle and driving a few hundred metres.

The nervousness is to be expected but take a loook at all those people driving around you and you may deduce it really isn't all that difficult ;)

The insecure feeling will pass and you'll do ok.

I think men make better drivers when they learn a few years after their 17th birthday too ;)

I beg to differ :p I passed my car driving test on the first try three weeks after my 17th birthday after just ten driving lessons. And have been driving ever since.

So ner ner nee ner ner :D

Reaction score
:thumb:Well done Potguy in taking the plunge, the more driving you do the more confident you become by the way the lesson you had accomplished a lot as FBS said most first lessons are just about oriented with the vehicle and driving a few hundred metres, you accomplished a lot in the time you had. I bet you were knackered after your lesson though.:sleep:

Reaction score
I remember my first driving lesson. It was in a Ford Popular,not the old black pre war model. It was like driving a tank to me. When the lesson was over and I got out of the car I was so nervous my legs wouldn`t start walking. That was in the early sixties and I`ve been driving up to about a year ago. So Potguy stick with it and enjoy---just don`t go mad when you pass your test.
historian

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Take it easy, Potguy... what you are experiencing is quite normal.

Two separate issues here: how to handle your vehicle and how to cope with traffic. And, well... there is no other way than "learning by doing".

Nearly all the kids here master the first part by the time they are... uh... thirteen, maybe. There are lots and lots of gravel paths/roads that are not public roads, so it is not against the law to drive there. Ditto for most winter [lake] ice roads.

But that is only the first part. I remember my first driving lesson, sitting in a Mercedes like this one:

kuormaautotmercedesbenz.jpg

"The teacher" asks me, "how many years have you driven a car [outside public roads]?" I answer, "uh... six, seven maybe." "Ever driven anything this large?" "Nope." "OK, just watch out where the right side [that would be the passenger's side here] goes. Let's go!"

Took me two minutes to get used to the size of the vehicle. Took me a MUCH longer time to get used to actually being in traffic. And feeling confident and comfortable being there. Learning by doing.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
but I am worried because I didn't feel in control of the car at all.

I felt really edgy and I don't see how I'm ever going to be able to control a car, let alone anything else.

:(

90% of drivers worry that they are not in control of the car. This is quite a normal state and has its roots in the fact that 90% of drivers are not in control of their car at all and simply trust to luck on every journey.

As to feeling "edgy" have a word with your driving instructor. Most instructors will sell you pills too help with this.
They used to offer Vallium fairly cheaply nut nowadays they offer Tramadol at much higher prices. They justify the price hike as Tramadol not only zones you out so you stop worrying but it is also a very effective pain killer so when you do crash you do not feel any pain at all.

Hope this helps allay your fears and remember the NHS is staffed by some lovely nurses so you have something to look forward to. :thumb:

Flops nah nah nah I passed my driving test on my 17th birthday. :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Flops nah nah nah I passed my driving test on my 17th birthday. :p

So I recall you saying.

So did my mate Roy.

For this, of course, I hate you both with a passion and my ego has been seriously deflated, so much so that I had to call The Samaritans.

I explained my predicament to The Samaritans, they thought a while, then offered the advice that yes, it would be a good idea to top myself as they couldn't see how anybody could live with such shame.

But I defied them and I'm still here :)

I also passed my motorcycle test first time at the age of sixteen and a quarter on a Lambretta LI150 Mk II. For my automobile driving test I used a Ford Anglia 105E, like the one in the Harry Potter film.

Rivetting stuff eh? :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So I recall you saying.

So did my mate Roy.

For this, of course, I hate you both with a passion and my ego has been seriously deflated, so much so that I had to call The Samaritans.

I explained my predicament to The Samaritans, they thought a while, then offered the advice that yes, it would be a good idea to top myself as they couldn't see how anybody could live with such shame.

But I defied them and I'm still here :)

I also passed my motorcycle test first time at the age of sixteen and a quarter on a Lambretta LI150 Mk II. For my automobile driving test I used a Ford Anglia 105E, like the one in the Harry Potter film.

Rivetting stuff eh? :)

You might have beat me on the age of the motorcycle test but I used a much higher spec scooter a TV 175 bored out to 198 cc with enhancements which as you are aware required a much higher skill set to operate. For instance, if your flared hipsters blew up in the wind and were sucked into the open Amal carb you had to ride with one hand whilst you pulled the material out of the carb, a pretty hairy manouver I can tell you.

You did use a proper car though whereas I only had the use of a mini van which obviously made the test easier for me so I bow to your superior driving skills :bow:

Reaction score
Passed my driving test first time in the 80's after riding motorbikes for a few years.
Just 7 years later passed my HGV2 licence and went on to drive lorries for a few years.
Now drive most things for work including LandRovers (I'm a big fan of them)

Once you pass and you will take Pass+ as this helps with your insurance.
Also if you get to the chance try skid pan training which is great fun.
Even more so in a 22 ton lorry!:dance:

Good luck and the more you drive the more confident you will be come.
And your roadcraft will get better.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
here is my first 'car' ...

:)

Attachments

• bus.jpg
    bus.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 203

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The first time I was in the driving seat was when I was 8 and alone in the car parked in the porch at my grandma. The car belonged to me uncle and I was intrigued at seeing the keys in the ignition. I cranked it and lo and behold the car moved forward and rammed into the wall. After that there was chaos in the house and I would not want to go into details :lol:

You will do OK it's no big deal, I wonder why you were feeling the way you did, I always loved ramming, sorry driving :fool:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
The comfort will come with time. At the start you might be learning in a relatively small car but when your behind the wheel driving it will probably feel massive! Once you get used to it (which will only come with time on the road driving in it) your confidence will fly. Took me a while to get used to the size of the car.

You'll spend hours on ours doing maneuvers from parallel parking, bay parking, reverse round a corner and turn in the road, which will help you get used to the car.

I only done one 2 hour lesson and hated it, i just got stressed and annoyed, making silly mistakes because I was concentrating too hard and it ruined the lesson, so I stuck with more frequent 1 hour lessons and enjoyed it so much more.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice/confidence boosts.

Started on T-Junctions today, madea right mess of a lot of it. Was there or thereabouts though.

My judgement is non existent, I was braking about 20 feet from the junction and then when I got there struggling with the clutch.

Normal driving around seems to be pretty natural now though, in a round-a-bout way. Noticed suddenly that I was checking the interior and side mirrors and changing up gears without thinking.

Instructor said my speed was too under control - i.e I'm crawling around at 15-20mph :lol:

Ask a Question