Italy fines Apple and Samsung for planned obsolescence

News Italy fines Apple and Samsung for planned obsolescence

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Becky submitted a new article:

Italy fines Apple and Samsung for planned obsolescence - The companies have been fined the maximum amount under Italy's law

It's well known among consumers that some smartphones can turn into a brick after just a couple of years, and it always seems to coincide with when a new handset comes out. Funny that.

In response to the allegations of planned obsolescence, the Italian Competition Authority (AGCM) has completed two investigations. They have recently published their findings, which state that both Apple and Samsung have been found to engage in unfair commercial practices with regards to firmware updates....

Read more about this article...

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I'm so proud of someone finally doing something about this. It's creepy to force a user to buy a new device just because the company wants them to upgrade. I have never had this problem with LG phones. But who knows, I've never bought a flagship phone so I have no idea really :confused:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'm so proud of someone finally doing something about this. It's creepy to force a user to buy a new device just because the company wants them to upgrade. I have never had this problem with LG phones. But who knows, I've never bought a flagship phone so I have no idea really :confused:

I wonder whether it will be enough to deter them from continuing the practice though. €10 million is nothing to Apple, and the fact they also have to publish the decision on their Italian site doesn't mean a lot. I think these companies will continue to do whatever is best for their profit margins unless the punishment for bad behaviour also affects their profits. Maybe I'm just cynical though :rolleyes:

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I wonder whether it will be enough to deter them from continuing the practice though. €10 million is nothing to Apple

You are so right, I used to work for a company that committed 60 billion dollars in MediCare fraud, they only got fined 667 million and the FBI suspects they still commit fraud till this day :blush: