Isn't This Weather Weird?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I reckon that today, the last day of September, is the hottest day of the year here in North Yorkshire. :)

What's it like where you are?

Some quotes from the News -

Sun worshippers are basking in more record-breaking weather - as Britain feels its hottest end of September in more than 100 years.

The previous record for the September 30 was set in 1908 - 27.8C in Maidenhead.

And the Met Office says there is 'quite a good chance' that tomorrow will be the hottest October day on record, surpassing the previous high of 84.9f (29.4c).

I walk to the pub a couple of nights a week and it takes 10 minutes. The regulars were saying that there had not been one night this year when you could walk home in shirtsleeves and I agreed. Until last night that is.

Weird that we have this heatwave at the end of September.

However, the residents of Sutton have been told that they can collect 10Kg of grit tomorrow for the imminent winter. :D

And, one further point - The winter following the 1895 September heatwave went like this. It snowed in October, November, December, January, February, March, April and May ! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good innit? Indian summer a go go :)

Just looked out across the landscape at 19:20 hours and it was dark, realised it's October tomorrow and we're about to slide into winter.

But for now, Beeb weather forecast for Greenwich says sunny every day until Tuesday - yay!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thats what makes the British weather such a talking point!

Don't think there is anywhere in the world that has such a changeable climate as ours..

Definitely not the hottest day in this part of the world though this year, back in July it hit 32c here and was far warmer at night than it is at the moment, one evening it stayed at 25c right up until about 22:30pm
As you can see I'm a bit of a weather nut, I have weather station outside in the garden and log automatically temps, humidity and air pressure 24 hours a day!

Was in Brighton for the day on October 16th 2009 and remember it being around 24c everyone was paddling and swimming in the sea and kids were on the beach making sandcastles, it was absolutely gorgeous and I had to pinch myself that we were in the middle of October.

Warm though innit :D

Reaction score
We have just stocked up at work with grit & salt for the hard winter ahead.:dance:
A bit strange when the delivery bloke is wearing shorts & sunglasses!
And wanted to know where he could get an ice cream from at Gatwick!!:lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
nivrip said:
And, one further point - The winter following the 1895 September heatwave went like this. It snowed in October, November, December, January, February, March, April and May !:D

Jeepers, I hope 2011 isn't going to mirror 1895, can't say that I fancy wall-to-wall snow for the next 8 months!

Today it's really warm and toasty, around 21C. Knobbly-knees and hairy legs are on display everywhere you look.... and the men are almost as bad! :lol: Just kidding... but folk are obviously trying to make the most of this late burst of summer.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You sure its only 21c TC as its a swealtering 28c here!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Autumn Snow Forecasts - A Clarification
1.jpg
Following a lot of stories in the media this week, we felt it would be useful to clarify the situation with regard to snow this October and November.

At this point in time the Netweather long range forecast (which was updated earlier this week) is pointing toward temperatures in October being close to or perhaps slightly below average, with November currently forecast to be cooler than average.

Typically October will bring some snow to the hills and mountains of northern Britain but rarely does it bring any low level or widespread snowfall, with the forecast being for temperatures to be close to average, at this stage there is no reason to suggest that anything out of the ordinary is likely, and any forecasts of widespread snow during October have not been made by Netweather.

Into November, snowfall is less rare and recent years have shown that even lower levels can see snow - particularly later in the month. With the current forecast showing the potential for temperatures to be below normal, this could indicate the increased risk of more widespread snow - but at this range there is no way to accurately predict whether this may be the case and should it occur, when it may happen.

Netweather's long range forecasts are updated once a month and look purely at climatic features - such as whether or not a month is likely to be warmer or colder than average or whether it is likely to be wetter or drier than average. From this it's possible to derive some conclusions as to whether a particular weather type (such as snow) is more or less likely but it's only at much shorter range that specific day to day conditions can be forecast with confidence.
Source: Netweather

Ask a Question