Windows XP Isass.exe - system error

Reaction score
I am trying to reinstall windows. I have just spend 6 hours using killdisk to clean format the HDD. I put in windows cd, formatting process is fine and then it restarts and just before windows installation begins it coems up with error message:

Isass.exe - system error

I/O operation could not read in, read out or flush files containing system image of registry.

What the hell is this? This has never happened before. First I admit I tried to reinstall windows just by putting in the cd and restarting but same error message came so i thought maybe i need to format the hdd properly but still this error message. I have win xp pro.

A quick google search reveals it may be a security process registry or something.

Last edited:
Reaction score
At a guess i would suggest it was a hardware error. Maybe a failed optical drive or HDD

There is some speculation it maybe a Sasser virus aswell all though i'm not sure because you say you have formatted your drive. Have you tried a separate optical drive?

Reaction score
i heard about this sasser but i thought that was with a small i mine is coming up as Isass.exe which i heard was a securty process plus i have actually formatted my hdd using kill disk. optical drive seems fine, hdd is only 6 mnths old working fine

Reaction score
OK will have a look around for you, I'm sure sum1 else will be able to help aswell if I dont get back in touch. Got my son so he's running round like a maniac at mo ;)

Reaction score
thanks.

The exact error message is as follows:

Issass.exe - system error

An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the systems image of the registry.

This message come on straight after windows does the formatting and then restarts, just before windows about the start the insalltion process this error comes on. Also when i take the windows CD out, and restart pc, the error message still comes on. I basically have a HDD with no windows installed on it as yet.It did but i have formatted it few times now.

Ask a Question