Is your PC quiet?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My PC must be about 2 years old now, and it wasn't exactly whisper quiet when I got it (IIRC)... but now it sounds like a jet engine when it boots up.

I'm going to take it to bits next week and give it a clean, and try to isolate which parts are making the most noise. Case vibrations are causing as much noise as the fans, so I'm going to re-arrange and tidy up at the same time.

On the other hand, Becky's 5 year old PC seems to be chugging along quiet as ever :rolleyes:... it's easy to not realise that it's switched on as you can barely hear it.

Reaction score
Would love to have a nice quiet PC, but even after replacing the fans, it still sounds as if your standing next to a NASA launch pad :p lol.

Am quite surprised that some of the old beasts that I use for a test machine at work, are quiet as anything :wall:

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Case vibrations

I find that the side panelon mine makes ythe most noise...I think cause its not a tight fit, the fan resonates trouhg the panel......Simple solution though..I have remocved the panel andhardly hear it now.......................

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My main pc has always been noisy as there are fans all over it and a wind tunnel fan at the front draws cool air in and two fans on the side panel draw air too, Large fan at rear draws it all out..

My Sony laptop is absolutely whisper quiet, can't even hear its on..

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Mine is as quiet as a mouse...can`t hear a thing from it :)

Reaction score
Mines noisey. After all with 8 hard drive 4 fans, NB fan, GFX and CPU fan you can't really blame it ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have one noisy, one medium and one quiet.

The very quiet one is the AMD dualie 3.2Ghz machine. Antec Sonata Case Mk II; Noctua CPU cooler with 2 x Noctua 800rpm 120mm fans; 1 x Noctua 120mm 800rpm fan exhausting at rear of case.

The motherboard has fanless cooling and the BFG 8800GTS 640Mb card is fairly quiet, although that's probably the noisiest fan in there. No vibrations, I don't even notice it's on.

I wish the same could be said for the other two, the machine in my sig is noticeable, but bearable (and I have all the Antec 900 case's fans on low setting), whilst the Thermaltake Bach case housing the HTPC setup is quite noisy indeed, it has 1 x 80mm fan at the front and a pair of 60mm fans exhausting at the rear. They're the little buggers that make the most noise.

Reaction score
Good thread idea.

My machine is totally silent. I've got a fanless GFX, Noctua Case Fans, silent cosmos case, Noctua fan for the heatsink
and of course silent samsung hard drives.

When I upgraded my machine about a year ago now I had three objectives all beginning with S.

1. Silence.
2. Speed.
3. Storage

This is how the machine looked when I turned it on for the first time:

DSC04095.jpg

DSC04070.jpg

DSC04083.jpg

DSC04088.jpg

Sadly the machine now looks as dusty as my machine before the upgrade:

DSC04382.jpg

DSC04054.jpg

DSC04058.jpg

Do you think dust like above makes my new PC noisier?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You've had 3 different coolers on that machine?

I can't see the dust making the fans noiser unless they're thermally copntrolled as dust will obviously reduce the efficiency of all fans. Just look at your last pic of the Thermaltake cooler, all that dust under the fan is preventing airflow from the fan blades.

Get yourself a clean 1"/25mm paintbrush and vacum cleaner with nozzle attachment and sort it :D

Reaction score
psd99,

What temps are you geting with the heatsink and fan in your first pic. I have the same cooler as you and at idle I am getting temps at 47c.

All my pcs are noisey.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
47? is it me or is that high?

My Idle temps FWIW...

attachment.php

My PC is very quiet, can just hear the HDD's over the sound of the CPU Cooler. When i go I7 in a couple of months i'm gonna get me a Noctua and maybe an SSD. Should be near as damn it silent.. :)

Attachments

• realtemp.jpg
    realtemp.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 178
Reaction score
wizkid said:
psd99,

What temps are you geting with the heatsink and fan in your first pic. I have the same cooler as you and at idle I am getting temps at 47c.

All my pcs are noisey.

Hi

I've overclocked my 6600 to just under 3.22 ghz and I get a temperature of around 45-50 C

it is quite high considering when I didn't overclock I was on 30C.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You've had 3 different coolers on that machine?

I can't see the dust making the fans noiser unless they're thermally copntrolled as dust will obviously reduce the efficiency of all fans. Just look at your last pic of the Thermaltake cooler, all that dust under the fan is preventing airflow from the fan blades.

Get yourself a clean 1"/25mm paintbrush and vacum cleaner with nozzle attachment and sort it :D

cheers for that my dyson might be too much vacuum power though :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have the 900 and all fans on low. Its quiet, the loudest part of my pc is the CPU cooler.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nobody in particular said:
Flopps, I know that you have an Antec 900, does your's sound like it's taking off, or have you replaced the noisy stock fans ?

From post # 7:

floppybootstomp said:
I wish the same could be said for the other two, the machine in my sig is noticeable, but bearable (and I have all the Antec 900 case's fans on low setting)...

So no, I haven't replaced the stock fans, I just have all 4 on low and they do a good job whilst the noise level is acceptable. I also have a Noctua 120mm in the side panel keeping the grafix card cool, which is whisper quiet.

Same as V_R really, noisiest fan in the whole setup is the CPU cooler fan.

The stock Gamer 900 fans do go from the sublime to the ridiculous, I must say, turn them all on full and it sounds like a brace of generators powering the sound system at a rave in a field just outside Basingstoke.

For want, possibly, of a better description ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
The stock Gamer 900 fans do go from the sublime to the ridiculous, I must say, turn them all on full and it sounds like a brace of generators powering the sound system at a rave in a field just outside Basingstoke.

For want, possibly, of a better description ;)
Ha ha, funny and true, they do get very loud.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
My computer is fairly quite, certainly not noisy enough to be annoying.

Reaction score
I just took out of my noisIER hard drives the case doesn't vibrate now which is quality
but I've lost 500GB of potential space lol

Ask a Question