Is virus detection info/data shared between some vendors?

Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer

CA Anti-Virus deleted some Sony VAIO program files:

File infection: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY\WELCOME TO VAIO LIFE\VT.EXE is
Win32/Droplet.IE trojan. Deleted
File infection: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY\WELCOME TO VAIO LIFE\WTVL.EXE is
Win32/Droplet.IE trojan. Deleted
File infection: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY\WELCOME TO VAIO LIFE\IA.EXE is
Win32/Droplet.IE trojan. Deleted

I'm quite sure these aren't trojans.
But, may AV engines seem to think so:
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/0512dd6307d738910e9dae71873fd4a2292b
9c56a19665ae3b3d4fed883ac970-1243732598

Do some AV companies share this kind of virus detection data among
themselves, or is all detection info derived independently by an AV
vendor?

ASCII

Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer said:
CA Anti-Virus deleted some Sony VAIO program files:

File infection: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY\WELCOME TO VAIO LIFE\VT.EXE is
Win32/Droplet.IE trojan. Deleted
File infection: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY\WELCOME TO VAIO LIFE\WTVL.EXE is
Win32/Droplet.IE trojan. Deleted
File infection: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY\WELCOME TO VAIO LIFE\IA.EXE is
Win32/Droplet.IE trojan. Deleted

I'm quite sure these aren't trojans.
But, may AV engines seem to think so:
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/0512dd6307d738910e9dae71873fd4a2292b
9c56a19665ae3b3d4fed883ac970-1243732598

Do some AV companies share this kind of virus detection data among
themselves, or is all detection info derived independently by an AV
vendor?

Are you so sure of Sony these days?
Didn't they distribute a rootkit to disable some CD burners awhile back?
I so distrust those bastards that I opted for a Vizio rather than a
Bravia last xmas when I has a choice.

FromTheRafters

"Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
CA Anti-Virus deleted some Sony VAIO program files:

File infection: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY\WELCOME TO VAIO LIFE\VT.EXE is
Win32/Droplet.IE trojan. Deleted
File infection: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY\WELCOME TO VAIO LIFE\WTVL.EXE is
Win32/Droplet.IE trojan. Deleted
File infection: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY\WELCOME TO VAIO LIFE\IA.EXE is
Win32/Droplet.IE trojan. Deleted

I'm quite sure these aren't trojans.
But, may AV engines seem to think so:
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/0512dd6307d738910e9dae71873fd4a2292b
9c56a19665ae3b3d4fed883ac970-1243732598

Do some AV companies share this kind of virus detection data among
themselves, or is all detection info derived independently by an AV
vendor?

There is some sharing, but the results you see are probably because of
how much code is in common with the legitimate programs and the malware.
Try again and you may get different results as the vendors react to
these false positives.

FromTheRafters

Duftopia said:
System Suite 9 (using the sunbelt antivirus engine) has just detected
the same virus in the same sony files and quarentined them!

Trojan.win32.generic - in c:\program files\sony\welcome to Vaio
life\ia.exe
Trojan.horse - on c:\program files\sony\welcome to Vaio life\vt.exe

I assume these files are NOT taited or dangerous since I've lived with
them for 5 years now?

Does anyone know what features and/or functions might be affected by
this quarentine?

I suspect a false positive declaration.

You can probably find out what these programs actually do from Sony. My
guess is that your AV will eventually stop alarming on them.

You could submit the suspect files to jotti.org or virustotal.com to see
what other products think of them.