Is this a good idea?! :s

Reaction score
Yah if i had a cam id show you but..

My CPU is soldered to my heatsink, its a living hell trying to put a processer back into a slot carefully with near perfect straightened pins but i cant cause of this big stupid ****ing block in my hand, shud i just try rip it off the heatsink? :D or get it off another way?

Actually if there is anybody out there with a spare Mobo and processer (AMD) thats actually half decent.................................................................................

Allow me to quote you happy? ;)

Reaction score
My CPU is soldered to my heatsink, its a living hell trying to put a processer back into a slot carefully with near perfect straightened pins but i cant cause of this big stupid ****ing block in my hand, shud i just try rip it off the heatsink? :D or get it off another way?

If it works by putting it back as it is [soldered] the heat will kill it completely.:confused:
you need to thermal grease the heat sink.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
You sure your processor is "soldered" to your heatsink? Its more than likely a thermal pad, just heat the heatsink up with a hair dryer for abit, then gently wiggle the hetsink. You'll need to get the heatsink pretty warm to make the thermal pad let go, bout 50c, so just take your time.

Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
You sure your processor is "soldered" to your heatsink? Its more than likely a thermal pad, just heat the heatsink up with a hair dryer for abit, then gently wiggle the hetsink. You'll need to get the heatsink pretty warm to make the thermal pad let go, bout 50c, so just take your time.

Nah its definatly soldered im sure of it there is like a black 'melted' effect around the top of the processer on one side and its joined onto the heatsink lol

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Never heard of a CPU being soldered to a heatsink - do as Reef says and try to heat it up and see if it will come apart.

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Never heard of a CPU being soldered to a heatsink - do as Reef says and try to heat it up and see if it will come apart.

Im scared ;s

Reaction score
Actually close this lol thanks for help anyways guys knowing my luck ill go on a thery of -its already broken it cant get worse! and it will- so nah ill just remain silent ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
No need to be, if it does come apart - clean it up and use a thermal pad or grease and put it back once you've seated the CPU, if it doesn't then you ain't lost nuffin :p

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
No need to be, if it does come apart - clean it up and use a thermal pad or grease and put it back once you've seated the CPU, if it doesn't then you ain't lost nuffin :p

I have neither thermal grease nor a thermal pad :D

that reminds me its question time again

Reaction score
oh yes its that time again :D sorry but its urgent

OK so like 6th thread now hope you all dont hate me too soon :D

Yah so its basically an agreement thing. If you take a processer out of a comp or if its broken it will just power up no beeps, no display, and just constantly restart every 10 seconds or so without loss of pwer? (more like a reset i mean)

Right? ;s

Reaction score
Powerz this could have (and has been) covered in one thread.

In a answer to your question, nothing will happen, the microchip is the heart and sole of any modern electrical device. Without it there is no device just a lump of plastic and solder.

The computer will most likely do nothing apart from a couple of LEDs will light up.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
powerz said:
I have neither thermal grease nor a thermal pad :D
Well how about buying some then? just a few quid online, or at a componant shop.

If you really are serious about sorting out your CPU problems, then PLEASE listen to what folks are saying and you may just resolve them......

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Powerz, as Techy said please try and cover the same topic in a single thread - as it makes for very confusing reading for everyone :confused:

Take it slow and keep everything all in the same place when it is related :thumb:

(I've moved 2 of your threads into one)

Reaction score
Some CPU & Heatsinks sometimes are bonded with other things apart from thermal paste, some use a silocone type of paste that transfers the heat quicker.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Powerz, you're a loony :eek:

Just listen, will ya?

btw, what exactly is this CPU that's 'soldered' to the heat sink?

And also, solder is silver or metallic, the stuff you describe sounds plasticky and black.

Apply heat, twist, remove, clean, save money, feel happy :)

Ask a Question