Is there a way to download an MS Access Database

M

Mark Sandfox

I have a need to allow an extrenal IT department to download 1 specific
database. I have treid direct link and webclient methods but both get
permission errors. Setting the MIME to handle this does not work.

Sorry for repeating the questions, the other string got to long.

This type of page is not served.
Description: The type of page you have requested is not served because it
has been explicitly forbidden.

Thank you in advance for your help.

D

D-42

I have a need to allow an extrenal IT department to download 1 specific
database. I have treid direct link and webclient methods but both get
permission errors. Setting the MIME to handle this does not work.

Sorry for repeating the questions, the other string got to long.

This type of page is not served.
Description: The type of page you have requested is not served because it
has been explicitly forbidden.

The simplest solution would be to simply zip or even just rename the file to .zip. (And have the recipient unzip or rename the file back after the download -- you said they were an IT department; so this shouldn't be beyond their skill :)

I realize its a 'work around', but enabling mdb download really isn't generally advisable anyway; lots of websites or website components hosted by IIS use access databases for storage and you wouldn't generally want someone being able to download a sites 'backend database' simply by guessing its name, which is likely why mdb is forbidden in the first place. (Along with several other extensions like .cs, .config, .ascx, and so on to prevent someone from downloading the source code and configuration information for an asp.net website.) In fact if I recall right, even .asp and .aspx are forbidden by default; so that in the event that scripting is disabled for a site the server still won't serve up the raw .asp or .aspx files. (A problem back when asp was new)

You can also set app level forbidden file types in the httpHandlers of the web.config file; but I doubt you explicitly did this. I expect the blockage is in the global equivalent for all of IIS somewhere; although I can't help you with that.

regards,
Dave

Ask a Question