Is it possible to use Outlook Web Access account via Outlook (PC Access)?

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

Is it possible to use Outlook Web Access account via Outlook (PC Access)?

Outlook Web Access is a web-based method for accessing an Exchange mailbox.
Outlook Web Access requires Exchange because it's part of Exchange. There
really is no such thing an an "Outlook Web Access account". It is an Exchange
account. You don't set up accounts in OWA.

Outlook is a PC-based client used for accessing an Exchange mailbox, a POP
mailbox, an IMAP mailbox or a WIndows Live mailbox. Clearly, then, given an
Exchange mailbox, one can use either Outlook Web Access or the Outlook client
to access that mailbox. In Outlook you can create an Exchange account - an
account that uses your Exchange credentials and the MAPI protocols to access
the same mailbox that you can access using OWA. Does this answer your
question?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

John

Yes. It's called RPC over HTTP/HTTPS. There are some configuration changes
that must be done on the Exchange server, network and firewall. When
completed, you can use Outlook (full functionality) to access Exchange
mailbox.

JethroUK©

It's very unlikely our company will give me any special privileges

The company have just moved to Outlook Web Access (from Outlook) and i
personally find it unusable - most of the features i use daily are not
included (10 jillion messages per day and no filters???)

i have since learned there are two versions (chopped & full versions)

OWA software wasn't installed on my PC - i just accessed it directly via
internet explorer - so now i'm wondering how do i get the full version if
'no' version has been installed?

..

Diane Poremsky said:
Note that this only works with Exchange 2003/2007 and Outlook 2003/2007
and only if the admin enables it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

JethroUK© said:
It's very unlikely our company will give me any special privileges

Tough luck.
The company have just moved to Outlook Web Access (from Outlook) and i
personally find it unusable - most of the features i use daily are not
included (10 jillion messages per day and no filters???)

What features would those be?
i have since learned there are two versions (chopped & full versions)

Versions? Where did you learn that from? Are you referring to OWA Light
option on the login web page? OWA Light gives you fewer features but faster
access. Slow connection and older/non IE browser work best with OWA Light.
OWA software wasn't installed on my PC - i just accessed it directly via
internet explorer - so now i'm wondering how do i get the full version if
'no' version has been installed?

That's the great feature of OWA, no software setup needed on the client PCs.
It's a web "application". All you need is Internet Explorer version 6 or
later (for full feature) or any other web browser (Mozilla, Safari etc).

Think of other web based email such as gmail, yahoo, hotmail. You don't have
to install any software on your PC to access your mailbox. OWA is another
web based mail.

JethroUK©

John said:
That's the great feature of OWA, no software setup needed on the client
PCs. It's a web "application". All you need is Internet Explorer version 6
or later (for full feature) or any other web browser (Mozilla, Safari
etc).

Great it maybe but i missed something there - how do i get full featured
version (incl message rules, 1 month calendar layout, 1 week alarm on
appointments, etc, etc ,etc) when 'no' version was installed in the first
place?

..

F.H. Muffman

OWA software wasn't installed on my PC - i just accessed it directly
Great it maybe but i missed something there - how do i get full
featured version (incl message rules, 1 month calendar layout, 1 week
alarm on appointments, etc, etc ,etc) when 'no' version was installed
in the first place?

Buy it or talk to your Exchange (or Network) admin about where you can install
it from.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

There is nothing for the client to install - it's all done on the mail
server. If you have a mail account hosted on Exchange 2007, use IE as your
browser to see the full version of OWA. Otherwise, you need to get an
account with a hosted Exchange provider such as intermedia.net.

--

JethroUK© said:
Great it maybe but i missed something there - how do i get full featured
version (incl message rules, 1 month calendar layout, 1 week alarm on
appointments, etc, etc ,etc) when 'no' version was installed in the first
place?

Feature Comparison Between Outlook 2003, Office Outlook 2007, and Outlook
Web Access 2007
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/featurecomparison.mspx

Keep in mind that OWA does NOT offer 100% of Outlook features. There are
some missing features in OWA that you'd find in Outlook. If the above link
does not answer your question, you should be directing your question to your
Exchange administrator or IT department.

JethroUK©

John said:
Feature Comparison Between Outlook 2003, Office Outlook 2007, and Outlook
Web Access 2007
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/featurecomparison.mspx

Keep in mind that OWA does NOT offer 100% of Outlook features. There are
some missing features in OWA that you'd find in Outlook. If the above link
does not answer your question, you should be directing your question to
your Exchange administrator or IT department.

Thanks - it's everything i every dreamed of - still didn't explain how i get
my mitts on full version - not to worry i'll write it off as totally
impossible

..

JethroUK©

Diane Poremsky said:
There is nothing for the client to install - it's all done on the mail
server.

So nothing i can do my end then? sounds like my head office (3 million miles
away) have already decided how i'll get email then (or not)

I'll stop pursuing it - thanks - new job me thinks :blush:)

JethroUK© said:
Great it maybe but i missed something there - how do i get full featured
version (incl message rules, 1 month calendar layout, 1 week alarm on
appointments, etc, etc ,etc) when 'no' version was installed in the first
place?

.

F.H. Muffman

That's the great feature of OWA, no software setup needed on the
Thanks - it's everything i every dreamed of - still didn't explain how
i get my mitts on full version - not to worry i'll write it off as
totally impossible

The same way you get your mitts on the full version of any pay-for product.
You buy it.

Amazon sells it.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Correct. The admin needs to enable it.

--

JethroUK© said:
Diane Poremsky said:
There is nothing for the client to install - it's all done on the mail
server.

So nothing i can do my end then? sounds like my head office (3 million
miles away) have already decided how i'll get email then (or not)

I'll stop pursuing it - thanks - new job me thinks :blush:)

If you have a mail account hosted on Exchange 2007, use IE as your
browser to see the full version of OWA. Otherwise, you need to get an
account with a hosted Exchange provider such as intermedia.net.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

F.H. Muffman said:
The same way you get your mitts on the full version of any pay-for
product. You buy it.

Amazon sells it.

but even if i buy it i can't install it my end - there's really nothing i
can do my end - that really the answer i was looking for

..

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Well... you could buy Exchange server and run it on your own server - but
its not cheap. You need an x64 computer with at least 4GB ram, Windows 2003
or 2008 + Exchange or you could get SBS2003 or 2008. You'll also need your
own domain and an internet acct that allows you to run your own mail server.

Its cheaer to ask if OWA is enabled (assuming your employer uses exchange).

--

Diane Poremsky said:
Well... you could buy Exchange server and run it on your own server -

As employee i cant install anything on my machine myself
Its cheaer to ask if OWA is enabled (assuming your employer uses
exchange).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this - I thought it was OWA that i'm
currently using via I/explorer?

Is it a case of them flicking some sort of switch ("enabling") or will they
need to buy/install addition software (full OWA) their end?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

You could buy your own computer and own copy. :)

What mail server does your work use? OWA is included with Exchange server
but some corps don't publish it- either by not telling users its available
or by not putting it on the internet.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this - I thought it was OWA that i'm
currently using via I/explorer?

Is it a case of them flicking some sort of switch ("enabling") or will they
need to buy/install addition software (full OWA) their end?

There are no such things, as far as I know, as a "light" and "full" versions
of OWA. There's only one version of OWA, I believe, and it's whatever is
offered by your version of Exchange.