Is it possible to have parameters in a property?

Stu

I have a private array in a class, and I was just wondering if it's
possible to expose its elements with "array-like" syntax through a
property without exposing the full array, instead of using a method.
So for instance could I do something like this:

public class MyClass
{
private int[] _NumberArray = new int[100];
public int NumberArray[int index]
{
get
{
return _NumberArray[index];
}
set
{
_NumberArray[index] = value;
}
}

public MyClass(){}
}

Then call it like this so that when MyClass.NumberArray[index] gets
assigned a value, it does it through the property:
MyClass myClass = new MyClass();
myClass.NumberArray[index] = 5;

I know this is easily accomplished through a method, but then I have
to pass the index and value as parameters rather than using array-like
syntax. Not a big deal, more a matter of curiosity.

Alberto Poblacion

Stu said:
[...]

No, the properties do not accept parameters, byt you can achieve a
similar efect through a class indexer. Just rename your NumberArray property
to "this", and then you can call it like this:

MyClass myClass = new MyClass();
myClass[index] = 5;

Peter Duniho

Stu said:
[...]

In C#, no. VB.NET has indexed properties, which are similar to a class
indexer in C#, except you can give it a property name. But in C#, the
only indexer you can declare is for the class itself.

In C#, the proper idiom is to define a property that itself is a type
with an indexer. That's assuming it makes sense to provide access to
the array in this way at all, which is not always true (people often
want to construct their class in counter-intuitive ways :) ).

What approach is appropriate depends on the relationship between the
array and the class containing it. If the array is just an
implementation detail of a class that is itself array-like, then simply
giving the class an indexer is probably best:

public class MyClass
{
private int[] _NumberArray = new int[100];
public int this[int index]
{
get
{
return _NumberArray[index];
}
set
{
_NumberArray[index] = value;
}
}

public MyClass(){}
}

Usage example:

MyClass obj = new MyClass();

obj[50] = 17;
Console.WriteLine(obj[25]);

On the other hand, often an array in a class is a contained object that
the class is responsible for maintaining. In those cases, either you
want to prevent modifications to the array or you don't (and if you're
providing a "set" method in an indexed property, obviously you don't
want to prevent modifications to the array).

If you don't want to prevent modifications to the array, then just
define a property that returns the array object. Code can then index
off of _that_ property. It will look just like an indexed property, but
will be using the "approved" C# mechanism of a plain named property
along with a returned class with its own indexer:

public class MyClass
{
private int[] _NumberArray = new int[100];
public int[] NumberArray
{
get
{
return _NumberArray;
}
}

public MyClass(){}
}

Usage example:

MyClass obj = new MyClass();

obj.NumberArray[50] = 17;
Console.WriteLine(obj.NumberArray[25]);

In other cases, it can be useful to do basically the above, but return
something other than the actual object type declared. In some cases,
that's just a matter of using an interface the object already implements
(e.g. ICollection), while in other cases it's a matter of wrapping the
object in something that provides greater control (e.g. preventing
modification of the object, by returning Array.AsReadOnly())

Finally, note that you can provide arbitrarily complex degree of control
over access by defining your own wrapper type that would be exposed by a
named property, and putting that control in that type.

For example:

public class MyClass
{
private int[] _NumberArray = new int[100];

public class Indexer
{
private MyClass _obj;

public Indexer(MyClass obj)
{
_obj = obj;
}

public int this[int i]
{
get { return _obj._NumberArray; }
set { _obj._NumberArray = value; }
}
}

public Indexer NumberArray
{
get
{
return new Indexer(this);
}
}

public MyClass(){}
}

Usage example:

MyClass obj = new MyClass();

obj.NumberArray[50] = 17;
Console.WriteLine(obj.NumberArray[25]);

Obviously in a real-world example, you'd put whatever specific access
controls you want into the "Indexer" class. You can enhance
encapsulation by exposing only an interface, and keeping the
implementation private:

public class MyClass
{
private int[] _NumberArray = new int[100];

public interface IIndexer
{
public int this[int i] { get; set; }
}

private class Indexer : IIndexer
{
private MyClass _obj;

public Indexer(MyClass obj)
{
_obj = obj;
}

public int this[int i]
{
get { return _obj._NumberArray; }
set { _obj._NumberArray = value; }
}
}

public IIndexer NumberArray
{
get
{
return new Indexer(this);
}
}

public MyClass(){}
}

Usage example:

MyClass obj = new MyClass();

obj.NumberArray[50] = 17;
Console.WriteLine(obj.NumberArray[25]);

(Warning: all of the above code is uncompiled, untested, example code only).

Anyway, hopefully that gives you some ideas as to the best way to expose
your indexed data, whatever the exact context turns out to be.

Pete

[...]

Thanks Alberto. What you suggested is not the functionality I'm
looking for, since I've got multiple arrays in my class that I want to
index like that. However it's still useful information to know.

Tom Shelton

[...]

Well... You can use an indexer like this:

public class MyClass
{
private int[] _numberArray = new int[100];

public int this[int index]
{
get
{
return _numberArray[index];
}
set
{
_numberArray[index] = value;
}
}
}

MyClass c = new MyClass()
c[50] = 1;

to make it a property, then you would have to create a wrapper class that
would hold the array and basically do the same thing as the main class:

public class MyClass
{
private ArrayWrapper _arrayWrapper = new ArrayWrapper();

public ArrayWrapper NumberArray
{
get{return _arrayWrapper;}
}

public class ArrayWrapper
{
private int[] _array = new int[100];
public int this[int index]
{
get{return _array[index];}
set{_array[index] = value;}
}
}
}

MyClass c = new MyClass();
c.NumberArray[50] = 1;

Anyway, the above is air-code, so there could be some minor syntax errors in
there, but hopefully you will get the idea :)

Stu

[...]

Wow Peter, thanks for the very thorough explanation! Basically, the
functionality I'm looking for is to be able to expose the array
through a property but also to know when any of the values within the
array have changed. The "set" only fires when I assign the entire
array property a new value, not when any of the values within it
change. I think I can accomplish the functionality I'm looking for
using one of your examples above. Thanks again.

Christoph Basedau

Stu said:
I have a private array in a class, and I was just wondering if it's
possible to expose its elements with "array-like" syntax through a
property without exposing the full array...something like this: ....
Then call it like this:
myClass.NumberArray[index] = 5;
No, the properties do not accept parameters, byt you can achieve a
similar efect through a class indexer. Just rename your NumberArray property
to "this", and then you can call it like this:

MyClass myClass = new MyClass();
myClass[index] = 5;

Thanks Alberto. What you suggested is not the functionality I'm
looking for, since I've got multiple arrays in my class that I want to
index like that. However it's still useful information to know.

If you have multiple arrays you want to expose by indexers -
thus can't index the class itself - you could delegate
the indexing to a generic, wrapping class.

In your initial class you expose instances of this indexer-class
as members / props.

Generic typing (class ArrayIndexer<T>) is a benefit, because it allows
exposure of any kind of array-data, not only arrays of int.

Christoph

///ArrayIndexer-class
class ArrayIndexer<T>
{
private T[] _data;

///ctors
//pass initalized array holding data
public ArrayIndexer(T[] data) { _data = data; }

//initalize array with desired size/capacity
public ArrayIndexer(int size) { _data = new T[size]; }

//return Length
public int Length
{
get
{
return _data == null ? 0 : _data.Length;
}
}
///indexer
public T this[int index]
{
get
{
if (!IsValidIndex(index))
{
throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException("index");
}
return _data[index];
}
set
{
if (!IsValidIndex(index))
{
throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException("index");
}
_data[index] = value;
}
}

///helper: check index and array-data
private bool IsValidIndex(int index)
{
return _data != null && index > -1 && _data.Length > index;
}
}
///class that exposes the Indexers as Props
class MyClass
{
public MyClass(int NumberSize, int StringSize)
{
NumberArray = new ArrayIndexer<int>(NumberSize);
StringArray = new ArrayIndexer<string>(StringSize);
}
public ArrayIndexer<int> NumberArray { get; set; }
public ArrayIndexer<string> StringArray { get; set; }
}

//use it
static void Main()
{
MyClass test = new MyClass(10, 20); //allocate 10 ints, 20 strings

test.NumberArray[9] = 99;
test.NumberArray[1] = 11;

test.StringArray[19] = "String 19";
test.StringArray[11] = "String 11";

for (int i = 0; i < test.NumberArray.Length; i++)
Console.WriteLine("Number {0}: {1}", i, test.NumberArray);

for (int i = 0; i < test.StringArray.Length; i++)
Console.WriteLine("String {0}: {1}", i, test.StringArray);

Console.ReadLine();

}

Christoph Basedau

Stu said:
[...]

Following KISS, you simply have to put the square brackets
after the type of your prop, not after its name -
and it works ;-)
No additional code required.

public class MyClass
{