    to be quit but still cool enough to not harm components.

    Thanks,

    Lothar

    Mark, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Mark

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, "Mark"
    <> wrote:

    > Many new cases are reverse ATX and the mainboard gets rotated to where the
    > CPU is at the bottom of the case. I also know that the heat pipe on the
    > A8N-SLI will not function optimally in this orientation. However I see this
    > being a lot, even Maximum PC has a system being auctioned for charity this
    > way. How badly does this affect the temperature of the north bridge? Can it
    > still be cooled adequately without added case fans? I would like my system
    > to be quit but still cool enough to not harm components.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lothar

    If you are a "reverse-ATX" aficionado, buy A8N-SLI Deluxe.
    If you like your computer the "regular ATX" way, buy the Premium.

    Why would you buy components that are not compatible with
    one another on purpose ?

    I guess my respect for the above mentioned outfit, just dropped
    a notch. Since the case is cheap, compared to the rest of
    the components, I'd just rip all that stuff out of the
    reverse-ATX case and put it in a regular one. Problem
    solved.

    If you buy the Deluxe, you can remove the chipset heatsink
    fan and find an aftermarket solution to suit your tastes.
    That is the easy way to do it. Have a big block of metal
    milled specially for the job, to fit the space between
    the two video cards. Or use the Swiftnets.com chipset heatsink,
    and if any part of it gets in your way, grind it off. The MCX159-CU
    has a sound rating of 18dBA (which doesn't mean anything, unless
    you know how it was measured - best if the same person measures
    the hardware to be compared). There is a picture here:

    http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx159-CU.asp

    Trying to "fix" the Premium, just doesn't make sense.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I have the premium, but need a new case. Most of the new high end cases are
    reverse ATX. I posted to see if anyone has experience with this or a
    definitive answer.

    Thanks,
    Lothar

    Mark, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Mark

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, "Mark" <> wrote:

    > I have the premium, but need a new case. Most of the new high end cases are
    > reverse ATX. I posted to see if anyone has experience with this or a
    > definitive answer.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Lothar

    I like the answer here. One guy glued a heatsink to the top of the
    chipset block on the Premium.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/bbs_view....nguage=en-us&topic_page=3&page_cnt=3&recc=267

    In the first posting in this thread, "Akele" reports "the chipset
    becomes too hot to touch" when the Premium is installed upside-down
    in a Silverstone case.

    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=396193&highlight=a8n-sli+premium

    Since some users claim to have a hot chipset, even when the board
    is right side up, I would check the temperature immediately after
    you install the board. If you cannot keep your fingers on it for
    two seconds, without getting burned, then you'll need to retrofit
    something to assist the cooling process. That could range from placing
    an 80mm fan over top of the chipset, adding a heatsink to the
    top of it, and so on.

    One reason for the chipset to get hot, even when the board is upright,
    is if the MOSFET heatsink is not receiving cooling air. For example,
    if you use a water block on the processor, there will be no cooling
    air spilling off the CPU fan to cool the MOSFET heatsink. The
    heatpipe moves the heat from the chipset, up to the MOSFET sink.
    You must have some air passing over the MOSFET sink, to properly
    cool the thing.

    The reason I am concerned about dealing with the Premium, is the
    fact that the MOSFET heatsink and the chipset block are fastened
    together. To "fix" the problem, you'll need to take care of the
    MOSFET end of things as well, and there really aren't any retail
    solutions you can slap on there. Maybe you could find some
    aluminum heatsink stock somewhere, and cut a chunk to fit the
    MOSFETs, but it won't be nearly as easy as using one of these
    on the chipset.

    http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx159-CU.asp

    The nice thing about the Deluxe, is the cooling solutions for
    the chipset and the MOSFETs are independent of one another. If
    the chipset fan starts to make noise, you can always put the
    MCX159 on there, or use a Zalman heatsink.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Mark

    John Lewis Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:09:28 -0700, "Mark" <> wrote:

    >I have the premium, but need a new case. Most of the new high end cases are
    >reverse ATX.

    Survey potential candidates on Newegg.com. Each entry on the website
    comes with internal pictures.

    > I posted to see if anyone has experience with this or a
    >definitive answer.

    And it is <NOT> OK to mount the board "upside-down" A decent rear
    case-fan in a 'normally-oriented' tower should easily cool the
    heat-pipe heatsink. A 120mm slow-speed fan is quite suitable. And a
    dual-fan power-supply will also help -- some are very low noise and
    have a max fan-speed user-accesible tweak.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 30, 2005