Is it necessary to re-config my former PDC's Time Service settings

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Active Directory' started by Guest, Oct 9, 2007.

    When a Win2003 DC is introduced into a Win2000 domain, and the Win2003 DC is
    set as the PDC Emulator, is it necessary to update Time Server settings on
    the former, Win2000, PDC? Microsoft offers some guidance (details below),
    but it seems to pertain only to Win2003 (the w32tm command switches aren't
    supported in Win2000). What about the case where the 'previous PDC' is
    Win2000? -- How do I 'demote' it as a Time Server? Is it automagic? How can
    I verify it's working as planned ('net time /querysntp' indicates the new PDC
    emulator -- is that adequate verification)?

    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Eggy

    Here are details of Microsoft's instructions: First, configure Time Service
    on 'new' PDC --
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...ef46-4931-8e4a-2fc5b4ddb0471033.mspx?mfr=true
    then change Time Service on the previous PDC emulator --
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...c594-4d43-9195-e54e4cb89d251033.mspx?mfr=true

    Guest, Oct 9, 2007

  2. You should reconfig the 2000 PDCe to get its time from the new PDCe. As
    long as it stays within 5 minutes of the time from the new PDCe Kerberos
    will work fine, but I would fix it so the old DC gets its time from the new
    PDCe.

    --
    Paul Bergson
    MVP - Directory Services

    http://www.pbbergs.com

    Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup

    Paul Bergson [MVP-DS], Oct 10, 2007

    Re: Is it necessary to re-config my former PDC's Time Service sett

    Paul,

    Thanks. Can you tell me how to make the change on the Win2000 DC? That is,
    what command(s) are needed on the Win2000 DC in order to configure it to get
    it's time from the new PDC? The instructions referenced below are for
    200*3*, and don't seem to work on 2000.

    This issue has lead to other questions and I plan to post them also. I'll
    post them separately but will put a link in this thread.

    Thanks for your help.

    Eggy

    PS - I saw your web site piece about decommissioning Win2000 DCs. It's very
    helpful -- concise and too the point. And you're right -- that IS a nice
    a$$! ;)

    Guest, Oct 10, 2007
  4. Re: Is it necessary to re-config my former PDC's Time Service sett

    What errors are you getting. I don't see where there should be any
    differences.

    Paul Bergson [MVP-DS], Oct 10, 2007

    Re: Is it necessary to re-config my former PDC's Time Service sett

    Paul,

    Thanks again. Unfortunately this isn't a case where we're seeing clear
    errors, just puzzling anomalies. Still several questions and gaps of
    knowledge -- please pardon.

    We're using four (mainly) methods in effort to determine what source a
    Computer (meaning a PC, Member Server or Domain Controller):
    1. "NET TIME"
    2. "NET TIME /QUERYSNTP"
    3. "NET TIME /DOMAIN:acme.lan"
    4. "w32tm /resync" (or "w32tm -s" for Win2000), then check System Event Log
    for report of time source.

    Often these report different results; Sometimes the results aren't as
    expected. For instance:
    - In some cases NET TIME reports the source as a DC which is not the PDC
    Emulator;
    - NET TIME /DOMAIN:acme.lan never shows the PDC Emulator as the source [but
    maybe I don't understand the command -- more research in order on my part']
    - Event Log messages often report a source different than expected --
    different
    than that indicated by NET TIME commands;
    - Often the source is indicated as our "SERVER1", a Win2000 DC which formerly
    served as the PDC Emulator. The FSMO roles, including PDC Emulator, were
    recently transferred to a new Win2003 server, DC01, a Win2003 DC.
    - WinXP clients show SERVER1 as thier source (even though "NETDOM /QUERY
    FSMO" reports that the client see DC1 as the PDC)

    Obviously I still have research to do and info to collect. In the meantime
    maybe you can offer some insight, particularly toward these questions:

    1. Is there a definitive method (other than Event Log messages) to determine
    which source a Computer is using as it's time source? That is, to verify
    that it's using the PDC Emulator.

    2. What tools exists for examining & diagnosing the mysteries of "Domain
    Hierarchy-Based Synchronization"?

    Thanks Again!
    Eggy

    Guest, Oct 10, 2007
  6. Re: Is it necessary to re-config my former PDC's Time Service sett

    You should be using w32tm for time management on 2003 and xp/vista. A
    client gets its time from a dc not necessarily the PDCe, it should get it
    from a dc in its site that is as much as you can rely on and from what I
    have found the time usually comes from the authenticating dc.

    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...e+service"+debugging&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

    Debug Logging
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816043/en-us

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224799

    Paul Bergson [MVP-DS], Oct 10, 2007

    Re: Is it necessary to re-config my former PDC's Time Service sett

    Paul,

    Again, thank you. Still some questions, but info was very helpful. The
    article by Nathan Winters is especially good. Here are points I learned:

    - Win2000 uses 'NET TIME', not wm32tm
    - Win2003 uses wm32tm, not 'NET TIME'
    - Client Computers sync time with their authenticating DC, not the PDC
    Emulator (not like DC's, which do sync to PDC Emulator)

    Still, some anomalies remain. For instance, on Client shows a login server
    of DCx (PDCe & GC host), but time is sync'd from DCy (Win2000 DC; former PDCe
    and former GC host). We're determining sync source in a roundabout way --
    use 'w32tm /resync', then check System Event Log - if there is a better way
    please advise.

    Aside from this, most other aspects have been put back in order -- PDC, DCs
    and Member Servers.

    Thanks again,
    Eggy

    Guest, Oct 11, 2007
  8. Re: Is it necessary to re-config my former PDC's Time Service sett

    Time comes from a site dc not necessarily the authenticating dc. I don't
    recall if the article said that but you can't rely on it coming from the
    authenticating one. Although, from what I have seen it usually does (But I
    haven't watch it in any long time).

    Paul Bergson [MVP-DS], Oct 11, 2007
  9. Hi

    I can't recall the specifics for Windows 2000 but if you look at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\W32Time\Parameters\Type and
    it reads NT5DS, you're syncing of the domain heirarchy and all is well.
    --
    Kind regards

    Mark Renoden [MSFT], Oct 12, 2007