Is Defender causing false positive in McAfee SecurityCenter?

Discussion in 'Spyware Application Compatibility' started by Guest, Jul 29, 2007.

    I received the following message from newly downloaded McAfee Security Center
    (courtesy of AOL)...

    McAfee has automatically blocked a potentially unwanted program from running
    on your computer.

    Details
    Name: Adware-SpyStormer
    Process: C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
    Process Name: Service Executable
    File Path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sandlot Shared\slghex.dll

    If you do not recognize this potentially unwanted program, McAfee recommends
    that you remove it. If you recognize this potentially unwanted program, trust
    it, and then rerun the program that triggered this alert.

    ....I could not find reference to SpyStormer in the malware glossery via
    Defender Help. Although, McAfee's site shows it to be a rogue anti-spyware
    program. Screenshots of the GUI shown were unfamiliar to me. Did McAfee goof
    or is defender in trouble? Anyone?

    Btw, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor and Defender scan clean.

    Guest, Jul 29, 2007

    Hello J_ejfudd,

    Why don,t you upload the file, just to see.

    This could well be a false positive.

    One way to get further information is to find on your system, and submit the
    file at one or more of the following sites:

    http://www.virustotal.com

    http://virusscan.jotti.org

    http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/submit.aspx

    Each has a browse window in the upper right to do the submission, and will
    check out your file with 10 or so antivirus vendors with one submission.

    A clean reading at these sites is not proof that a file is safe, but I'd say
    in this case that it is likely to be a good indicator that, in fact, the file
    is safe, and you are seeing a false positive.

    To be sure run a Full scan with Windows Defender in Safe Mode (F-8) also
    with your anti-virus (updated)

    For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

    I hope this post is helpful.

    Let us know how it works ºut.

    Еиçεl
    --

    PUNISHMENT
    The public has more interest in the punishment of an injury than he who

    Guest, Jul 29, 2007

    Getting into Windows Safe Mode.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

    Important, You have to enable to show hidden files and folders in order to
    find the file or program.

    How Do I Enable Show Hidden Files And Folders To Windows XP Help And Support
    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_enable_show_hidden_file.htm

    Good luck
    --

    PUNISHMENT