Is anything wrong with this formula?

David Biddulph

Yes, it is wrong.
Look again at the parentheses surrounding the arguments of the SUMPRODUCT
function.
You probably intended to say
=SUMPRODUCT(('Cp Monitoring'!P2:p100="review")*(AE2:AE100="yes")) ?

Paul C

It appears to be missing a set of (). Also the -- operator appears to help
with conditional arrays in that it forces evaluation

Try =SUMPRODUCT(--('Cp Monitoring'!P2:p100="review"),--(AE2:AE100="yes"))

Ms-Exl-Learner

I hope that your formula should be like this...

=SUMPRODUCT(('Cp Monitoring'!P2:p100="review")*('Cp
Monitoring'!AE2:AE100="yes"))

If this post helps, Click Yes!

Joe User

Paul C said:
It appears to be missing a set of ().
Right.

Also the -- operator appears to help
with conditional arrays in that it forces evaluation

Misdirection. Either form should work equally well.

The issue is.... Conditional expressions return an array of TRUE and FALSE
values. SUMPRODUCT would treat all such values as zero. But when the
boolean array is involved in an arithmetic operation, TRUE and FALSE are
treated as 1 and 0 respectively, as intended. Thus, SUMPRODUCT sees an
array of numerical values instead of boolean values. Any arithmetic
operation will do that. "--" (double negation) is one arithmetic operation;
"*" (multiplication) is simply another arithmetic operation.

----- originally message -----

Kelly Johns

Thank-you very much for your help. I am still not getting the data required, I am getting a '0' as a response. But you were correct as to why the formula was wrong. Headache. :)

David Biddulph wrote:

Yes, it is wrong.
24-Nov-09

Yes, it is wrong
Look again at the parentheses surrounding the arguments of the SUMPRODUC
function
You probably intended to sa
=SUMPRODUCT(('Cp Monitoring'!P2:p100="review")*(AE2:AE100="yes"))
-
David Biddulp

<Kelly Johns> wrote in message

Top 10 .NET Framework Technologies to Learn in 2007
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...44-469c1766614c/top-10-net-framework-tec.aspx

David Biddulph wrote:

Yes, it is wrong.
24-Nov-09

Yes, it is wrong
Look again at the parentheses surrounding the arguments of the SUMPRODUC
function
You probably intended to sa
=SUMPRODUCT(('Cp Monitoring'!P2:p100="review")*(AE2:AE100="yes"))
-
David Biddulp

<Kelly Johns> wrote in message

Generic GetXmlReader Data Access Method
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...d-b6ebb3575e5e/generic-getxmlreader-data.aspx

David Biddulph

Are you sure that "review" and "yes" are the only things in columns P and AE
in the relevant rows? No spaces?
Do =LEN('Cp Monitoring'!P2) and =LEN(AE2) [or the same in the relevant rows]
return 6 and 3 respectively?

Joe User

Thank-you very much for your help. I am still
not getting the data required, I am getting a
'0' as a response.

Well, you neglect to tell what you intend to accomplish with the SUMPRODUCT
expression.

Wild-ass guess: perhaps you intended to write:

=SUMPRODUCT(('Cp Monitoring'!P2:p100="review")
*('Cp Monitoring'!AE2:AE100="yes"))

That counts the number instances of "review" in one range __and__ "yes" in
the other range in the __same__ worksheet, not necessarily the current
worksheet.