    IPv4 at all. Using only IPv6, I'd like to learn how to configure
    TCP/IP settings, ping, tracert, nslookups, etc.

    fyi I already know how to do this under IPv4.

    sysadmin, Jul 3, 2005

  2. sysadmin

    Ron Lowe Guest

    "sysadmin" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Are there any tutorial labs/step-by-step guides on implementing IPv6 on
    > Windows 2000/XP/2003?
    >
    > I'd like to set up a small test network with Windows machines and not use
    > IPv4 at all. Using only IPv6, I'd like to learn how to configure
    > TCP/IP settings, ping, tracert, nslookups, etc.
    >
    > fyi I already know how to do this under IPv4.

    Start here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/ipv6/default.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ll/proddocs/en-us/sag_ip_v6_imp_lab_node.mspx

    You will need to reduce your ambitions a bit at the moment.

    XP supports IPv6 for some functions, but not all.
    For example, it does not support file+print sharing over IPv6.
    Also, the DNS client can only query over IPv4, even though it can handle
    IPv6 addresses in the reply.

    So you are not going to be able to loose IPv4 yet.

    Server2003 adds IPv6 support a little further, and Longhorn is meant to
    provide IPv6 support across all the whole platform. We shall see.

    --
    Best Regards
    Ron Lowe

    Ron Lowe, Jul 3, 2005

  3. sysadmin

    sysadmin Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:27:56 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:

    > "sysadmin" <> wrote in message
    >> Are there any tutorial labs/step-by-step guides on implementing IPv6 on
    >> Windows 2000/XP/2003?
    >>
    >> I'd like to set up a small test network with Windows machines and not use
    >> IPv4 at all. Using only IPv6, I'd like to learn how to configure
    >> TCP/IP settings, ping, tracert, nslookups, etc.
    >>
    >> fyi I already know how to do this under IPv4.

    > Start here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/ipv6/default.mspx
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ll/proddocs/en-us/sag_ip_v6_imp_lab_node.mspx
    >

    > You will need to reduce your ambitions a bit at the moment.
    >
    > XP supports IPv6 for some functions, but not all.
    > For example, it does not support file+print sharing over IPv6.
    > Also, the DNS client can only query over IPv4, even though it can handle
    > IPv6 addresses in the reply.
    >
    > So you are not going to be able to loose IPv4 yet.
    >
    > Server2003 adds IPv6 support a little further, and Longhorn is meant to
    > provide IPv6 support across all the whole platform. We shall see.

    Thanks, Ron.

    I'll check out those links.
    Looks like I'll have to wait for Longhorn to get some practical experience
    with IPv6.

    sysadmin, Jul 4, 2005
  4. sysadmin

    Guest Guest

    Hi,
    In connection to this question, I need a little help too.
    I got IPv6 installed, then removed the IPv4 from the networking prooperties
    for the NIC. From that point onward the nic is not taking the link local
    address ..FE80:.... . Once I place the TCPIP Ver 4 back I get both the
    address i.e. APIPA and Link Local for IPv6. Do I need to keep both the
    protocols together, even to ping on IPv6. Thanks. Faheem (Sec E-mail :
    )

    Guest, Aug 30, 2005