    with my PATH command not pointing to the right directory.
    But I'm not really sure how to fix that. Some help would
    be fantastic.

    KingDox, Aug 10, 2003

  2. KingDox

    Will Denny Guest

    Hi

    From a command prompt type "path" - without the quotes. If 'windows\system32' doesn't show, you can add it to the 'path' statement by right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Next, click on the 'Environment Variables...' button. After that highlight the path statement in the lower box and then click the 'Edit' button. Add ';%systemroot%\system32' - without the quotes - to the end of the path statement. You will then have to reboot your PC for the addition to take effect.

    Any problems, please post back.

    Will

    "KingDox" <> wrote in message news:039701c35f02$32dfb1c0$...
    > I just upgraded win98 to windows xp and my DSL stoped
    > working. Well I called my isp and they told me to run
    > command window and run ipconfig, well I got an error
    > saying:
    >
    > IPCONFIG is not recognized as an internal or external
    > command, operable program or batch file
    >
    > My ISP dignostic software tells me my IP is all zeros. I
    > did some research on this and found it could be a problem
    > with my PATH command not pointing to the right directory.
    > But I'm not really sure how to fix that. Some help would
    > be fantastic.

    ---

    Will Denny, Aug 10, 2003

  3. KingDox

    Kingdox Guest

    The strange thing is that %systemroot%\system32 is listed
    already as variable value. It's even the first one listed,
    I added it again to the end and it still won't work.

    My variable values are as follows
    %systemroot%\system32
    ;c:\cpqs\savrest
    ;c:\cpqs\Tools
    ;%systemroot%\command
    ;%systemroot%
    ;%systemroot%\system32\wbem
    ;"C:\executive software\diskeeperlite\"
    ;%systemroot%\system32\wbem

    typing path in a dos window gives me

    Path=c:\cpqs\savrest
    ;c:\cpqs\Tools
    ;C:\windows\command
    ;C:\windows\
    ;c:\cpqs\savrest
    ;c:\cpqs\Tools
    ;C:\windows\command
    ;C:\windows\

    so typing path gives me redundent entries and others that
    are not there. I don't really know where to go from here.
    The help you've given so far has been appriciated.

    Kingdox, Aug 10, 2003
  4. KingDox

    Will Denny Guest

    Hi

    I'm not sure what else to suggest - perhaps you could try posting your problem in the microsoft.public.windows.network_web news group.

    Will

    Will Denny, Aug 10, 2003
  5. KingDox

    Buddy Guest

    Try typing this in instead of just ipconfig.
    goto start/run. type in cmd.
    this will bring up a dos window.
    at the dos prompt type in ipconfig /all
    this should give you all of the ip information you could
    possibly want.

    Buddy, Aug 10, 2003
  6. Hi,

    Is there anything in the user variables (top section), other than temp
    settings?

    Also, Locate autoexec.nt, open it in notepad and see if there are any PATH
    statements.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers, Aug 10, 2003
  7. KingDox

    Dave Guest

    I had a similar problem. There is probably a fault with the Path.
    If you go to Start - Run - cmd and type "cd\" at the prompt, you
    should get C:\> then type CD windows , and then CD system32.
    Then try your ipconfig again.

    I fixed mine by going to start - settings - control panel - system -
    advanced- envronmental variables - select "path" under "system
    variables" and click "edit". In the "variable value box" edit or
    change it to read
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem

    Mine had a lot of stuff after "wbem" which I deleted, which I'm not
    sure how important it was, but I have not seen any problem so far.

    There is some reference to this in this Microsoft article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114

    Dave, Aug 14, 2003
  8. KingDox

    dummy

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Try this

    Try this solution...This worked for me!!!!!

    Go to My Computer-> right click-> Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables->System variables and locate "PATH". Add C:\windows\system32 at the end if it is not already there.

    dummy, Nov 20, 2006
  9. KingDox

    chaos945

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Diskeeper's Fault?

    I had this issue recently and I resolved it as follows.

    Checking the path attribute from dos read the correct path settings, so did the path in the environment settings from within the system properties. However I checked the following registry key and observed that Diskeeper had added itself to the end of the string with it's own installation path "C:\Program Files\Diskeeper'. Upon removal of this entry the programs located in the system32 folder were functional again.

    'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\Path'

    In breif:
    1. Navigate to the above registry key
    2. Be sure to remove any 'extra' entries that may have been added
    3. Test to see if your paths from DOS are now functional

    I've not tested Diskeeper since this change though, not sure if it broke anything yet.

    chaos945, Aug 19, 2007
  10. KingDox

    anilsky

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Appreciation

    Hi to all
    what a intelligent people you are all........ by just gothroughing your posts..... i solved my problem......

    i learned that... those who installs java JDK ... must go to c:\windows\system32 to utilise the network commands.

    am i right????

    anilsky, Aug 21, 2010
  11. KingDox

    trinity

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0

    That definitely worked for me, thanks! I had 2 support techs who couldn't figure this out when they were trying to do my internet connection/settings. I bet this was also the reason why I could not configure Java applications to my laptop properly that I had in the past.

    trinity, Apr 29, 2011