invitations are garbage to recipients

Frank

Why are my invitees getting garbage in the invite?

Heres what they get...

From: {removed}
To: {removed}
Subject: {removed}
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:18:21 -0400
thread-index: AcR0BhgcCZlt28llTtmhD1YfHetLHw==
Disposition-Notification-To: {removed}

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//Microsoft Corporation//Outlook 11.0 MIMEDIR//EN
VERSION:2.0 METHOD:REQUEST BEGIN:VEVENT ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-
PARTICIPANT;RSVP=TRUE:MAILTO:{removed}
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;RSVP=TRUE:MAILTO:{removed}
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;RSVP=TRUE:MAILTO:{removed}
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;RSVP=TRUE:MAILTO:{removed}
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;RSVP=TRUE:MAILTO:{removed}
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;RSVP=TRUE:MAILTO:{removed}
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;RSVP=TRUE:MAILTO:{removed}
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;RSVP=TRUE:MAILTO:{removed}
ORGANIZER:MAILTO:{removed}
DTSTART:20040728T180000Z
DTEND:20040728T190000Z
LOCATION:{removed}
TRANSP:OPAQUE
SEQUENCE:0
UID:040000008200E00074C5B7101A82E008000000004095C190E473C40
10000000000000000100
00000997551AABDC09342BF2C04FAD3412AC6
DTSTAMP:20040727T181819Z
PM (GMT-05:00)
Eastern Time (US & Canada).\nWhere: Training
Room\n\n*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*\n\n{removed}\n
SUMMARY:{removed}
PRIORITY:5
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-IMPORTANCE:1
CLASS:pUBLIC
BEGIN:VALARM
TRIGGER:pT15M
ACTION:DISPLAY
END:VALARM
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

That's not garbage at all. It's a perfectly valid meeting request written
with the iCalendar Internet standard format.

You neglected to mention your Outlook version. My guess is that it's Outlook
2000, which has a compatibility issue with reminders in iCal items. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823199 for information on the hotfix you
can get by calling Microsoft Product Support Services.

Frank

Actually Im on 2003. The recipients are on 2000 SP-3.
But not all 2000 users get this. Some actually get the
correct format.
If I turn off iCal, then those that got the text below get
an e-mail note but it does not add to their calendar.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

If you omit the reminder, Outlook 2000 recipients should have no problem
with iCal items that you send.

The alternative is to turn off iCal on your end and mark the recipients'
addresses for rich-text format so that they get full Outlook items instead.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Double-click the email address and check the box for rich-text format.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

Every time I send? Yuk!