inventory software

Rajesh Kainikkara

Hi Experts
I have ms Access file which i made to stock& cash management for
friend.i did almost every thing but i couldn't create stock report in
it, if i send the file any body will help me to find the solution.
Regards
Rajeshkainikkara

Access Developer

Newsgroups are very good for getting help on specific problems by explaining
what you have done, what you expect, and what you are seeing. They are not
a good source for sending someone a database and asking them to determine
"why it isn't working". Many of us are reluctant to receive and execute
databases from sources we don't know -- there is too much "mischief" and
"malware" and people who enjoy causing it.

Rajesh Kainikkara

--
Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley

Sir
Then what is the solutions to solve my problem. is there any good
inventory sample software is available

Regards
Rajesh kainikkara

Access Developer

As I believe I said, you can (1) explain what you have done, (2) what you
expect, and (3)what you are seeing -- and post that here. Then people may
have enough information to ask additional pertinent questions so they can
help you. For general informaion on effective use of newsgroups, take a look
at http://www.mvps.org/access/. Certainly, you must say what data you
maintain in your application, and details of what output you want to show in
the 'stock report'.

MVP Allen Browne, in his website at http://allenbrowne.com/, has information
on inventory that many have reported as helpful.

You will find a list of MVPs' websites and other useful resources at
http://sp.ntpcug.org/accesssig/. Some of those resources will contain links
and references to other resources.

Chapter 9 of "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions" contains good
information on needs for Inventory Management and detail information on data
needed to support Inventory Management functions. (Caveat: Although I did
not write that chapter, I am one of the co-authors of that book.)

There are Microsoft online forums... you can likely find the links somewhere
in the pages following: http://office.microsoft.com. I have not found the
forums to be as easy to use, nor as helpful, as newsgroups. Another
newsgroup where knowledgeable people participate is
comp.databases.ms-access, accessible through many newsservers (some free,
and some with a charge -- the server I use is "news.individual.net" which is
inexpensive but not free, and does not carry binaries newsgroups).

I do not have any specific references on explanations of "how to create a
stock report without knowing what else is in the application", and am
certain that would be an impossible reference to find.

Of course, there are those who will assist you for a fee, but I do not make
specific recommendations or references of that kind.

--
[...]

My database have 7 table having the fields given below
1 Product Table - fields - pcode,item,unit
2 Purchase Table - fields - p inv no,date,supplier
3 Purchase Details Table - fields - p inv no,item,qty,rate
4 Sales Table - fields - s inv no,date,customer
5 Sales Details Table - fields - s inv no,item,qty,rate
6 Customer Table
7 Supplier Table

Except the Stock report i create all reports, how can i create a query
for stock report, when i tried to do it it showing double entries ie,
even there is only 2 purchase & 1 sale ,the query shows 4 sale & 4
purchase or 2 sale & 2 purchase,
my limited knowledge didn't let me solve it,if u accept i will send
the original database.

Regards
Rajesh kainikkara

Access Developer

Post back here a definition (in detail) of what you want to report in the
"Stock Report"*, and the SQL of the query that is not working as you intend,
and perhaps someone can be of help. For the fields used in the query and
reports, it would be useful to have the data type (and length if
appropriate). And, if the tables are related, a description of the
relationship would be useful.

* the name "Stock Report" is not enough for me
to understand what content you want, nor how
you want it arranged.

(NOTE: If someone can help, that someone may well not be me, but another
participant here.)

--
[...]

Rajesh Kainikkara said:
if u accept i will send
the original database.

As I wrote before, I don't receive and execute databases unless I am
personally acquainted with the sender.

I also try to assist by answering questions in the newsgroups, so that
others can benefit from the Q & A exchange -- thus, I don't do "free remote
consulting" using newsgroups as a point of contact (and, in fact, I don't do
even "for-fee remote consulting" using newsgroups as a point of contact).

Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP

Rajesh Kainikkara

 > if u accept i will send
 > the original database.

As I wrote before, I don't receive and execute databases unless I am
personally acquainted with the sender.

I also try to assist by answering questions in the newsgroups, so that
others can benefit from the Q & A exchange -- thus, I don't do "free remote
consulting" using newsgroups as a point of contact (and, in fact, I don'tdo
even "for-fee remote consulting" using newsgroups as a point of contact).

 Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
Sir

Here is the details of my database

sales table "s invocie no " is related to sales details "s invoice no"
purchase table "p invocie no " is related to purchase details "p
invoice no"
product table" item" is related to purchase details "item" & sales
details "item"

Stock report format Item Name................... Date
From.............. to.................

Date Particulers
Inwards Outwards Balance

01/12/10 Opening
Stock
100
02/12/10 Abc Distributors(supplier)
500 600
02/12/10
Anil(customer)
60 540
03/12/10
Rajesh(customer)
40 500

I think it may be enough .
Regards & Thanks

Rajesh Kainikkara

Access Developer

From your previous post about tables, and the current one about tables,
relationships, and the report (I think I have reconstructed a reasonable
format for the report -- you must understand that lines as long as you
include in your report will be "line wrapped" by the newsgroup clients and
news servers).

I have additional questions.

From what table or other source do you expect to obtain the "Original Stock"
for this period? (I see no table where you appear to maintain the current
level of stock, but, presumably, you do not want to go back to "the
beginning time covered by the entire database and sum all the transactions"
to obtain it).

When I use the word "transaction", I mean either a Sale or a Purchase. (FYI:
you would, I believe, make developing and maintaining the database simpler,
thus easier, if you only had a single table for Transactions, with an
indicator of sale or purchase; and, very likely, one table for Entity, for
both people and organizations to handle both customers and suppliers, with
an indicator for whether the record is for a customer or a supplier.)

A related question: how do you intend to obtain the "balance" figure on each
line of the report? Do you have a table that we don't know about that you
update after each transaction, or do you expect to calculate the balance
after each transaction during the query that is record source for the
report.

My own personal preference is to use descriptive names, without spaces in
them, for database objects such as tables and fields. And, for my
convenience, I am going to reformat your field names in that manner as I
work to help you, and use my reformatted names in my responses. For
example, I will render your field "p inv no" as PInvNo.

--
[...]

Date Particulers
Inwards Outwards Balance

01/12/10 Opening
Stock
100
02/12/10 Abc Distributors(supplier)
500 600
02/12/10
Anil(customer)
60 540
03/12/10
Rajesh(customer)
40 500

I think it may be enough .
Regards & Thanks

Rajesh Kainikkara

Rajesh Kainikkara

From your previous post about tables, and the current one about tables,
relationships, and the report  (I think I have reconstructed a reasonable
format for the report -- you must understand that lines as long as you
include in your report will be "line wrapped" by the newsgroup clients and
news servers).

I have additional questions.

From what table or other source do you expect to obtain the "Original Stock"
[...]

Date                 Particulers
Inwards   Outwards   Balance

01/12/10           Opening
Stock
100
02/12/10           Abc Distributors(supplier)
500                            600
02/12/10
Anil(customer)
60               540
03/12/10
Rajesh(customer)
40               500

I think it may be enough .
Regards & Thanks

Rajesh Kainikkara
Sir,

Now original stock I entered as a purchase in the opening date .I
don't know the other solutions.
Presently I have no idea how to get a cumulative balance figure in
each record in reports ,right now i taking balance in the end of the
reports. but if I get a balance figure in each record it will be more
convenient to me.I give format showing balance in line to know is it
possible to do so.
Regards
Rajesh Kainikkara

Access Developer

Marsh's suggestion sounds appropriate to me. If you have more trouble with
it, post back here with details.

Presuming you are grouping on Product, the running sum would be "over
group", not "overall".

Just for the record (you probably know this already, but it could affect
your report): The sort order of the RecordSource of the Report (presumably a
query) does not affect the order in which those records are processed and
shown. You have to use the Report's Sorting and Grouping properties to
control the order of records.

Larry