Invalid Product Key, Windows XP Pro OEM SP2

HeyBub

inlined said:
As mentioned in my first post, i have already been there and the
product looks exactly as it should, as described on the website. I've
also checked if the product key had a pattern that is known in pirated
versions, and the product key i have does not have those patterns. The
information that Alias provided i came across before starting this
topic and it doesn't help me.

Does anyone happen to know the number i can call to get this sort of
thing resolved?

You call the people from whom you obtained the OEM CD. I don't think
Microsoft will help you.

HeyBub

Alias said:
It may be a legit CD but a bad Product Key. The fact that you got it
on eBay is not a good sign.

You might want to consider Ubuntu. It's free and no product keys,
activation or genuineness required. Not only is it free, but it comes
with access to thousands of free programs like Thunderbird, Firefox,
etc. You can run the Live CD on your machine to make sure your
hardware is compatible. Get it at
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download.

Yeah, and he might want to try a blow-up doll instead of a real girlfriend.

milt

HeyBub said:
Yeah, and he might want to try a blow-up doll instead of a real girlfriend.

Nah, a blow-up doll would actually WORK out of the box, much more than
Ubuntu does, especially true of the "studio" version that's supposed to
install a bunch of multimedia apps for music/video etc... but MOST OF
THEM DON'T WORK! because something else needs to be running but does
anything anywhere tell you WHAT or HOW to get it going? NO!

What a pile of crap

Alias

HeyBub said:
Yeah, and he might want to try a blow-up doll instead of a real girlfriend.

False, although your ignorance and prejudice is duly noted.

What can be done with Ubuntu?

Email
Surf the web
Burn CDs.
Rip CDs.
Listen to music.
Watch vidoes/DVDs.
Scan and print.
Spreadsheets.
Presentations
Newsgroups.
HTML editing.
Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
Make videos.
Download photos from a camera and organize them.
Translations.
Use a dictionary
Learn how to touch type.
Edit images.
Send and receive a fax.
Take screen shots.
Create .PDF files.
Create and use a data base.
Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
Windows Live Messenger.
IRC.
Bluetooth.

and much more!

What you can't do with Ubuntu:

Worry about:
WPA and WGA raising their ugly heads,
DRM,
Viruses,
Root kits,
Spyware,
and
Malware.

Alias

Alias

milt said:
Nah, a blow-up doll would actually WORK out of the box, much more than
Ubuntu does, especially true of the "studio" version that's supposed to
install a bunch of multimedia apps for music/video etc... but MOST OF
THEM DON'T WORK! because something else needs to be running but does
anything anywhere tell you WHAT or HOW to get it going? NO!

What a pile of crap

Your ignorance and prejudice is duly noted. Had you installed programs
from the repository instead of thinking Ubuntu is Windows and looking
all over the Net for programs, you wouldn't have had these problems.

Alias

RJK

milt said:
Nah, a blow-up doll would actually WORK out of the box, much more than
Ubuntu does, especially true of the "studio" version that's supposed to
install a bunch of multimedia apps for music/video etc... but MOST OF THEM
DON'T WORK! because something else needs to be running but does anything
anywhere tell you WHAT or HOW to get it going? NO!

What a pile of crap

I've just been having a thoroughly good Google on Ubuntu, and it seems that
it can only really be of interest if one can dedicate a spare PC for it.
Then, one can "have a go," now and again, to attempt becoming familiar with
it - pretty much what I've always done with Windows platforms since Windows
3.1 (which was pretty but, for real work one booted to MSDOS and msdos based
programs like Supercalc 3.0 / 5.1 and WordPerfect 5 ...etc. :)

I'm sticking with XP Home ed. SP3+ for as long as possible on my two PC's.
I've worked on several Vista based PC's, and the amount of time I had to
spend on becoming familiar with "permissions" was, quite simply, ridiculous.
In order to drop a new hosts file from
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm into an etc directory saw me
sailing off into Vista's "permissions" realm, ...and I had to create a
shortcut in order to do it -....b****y RIDICULOUS !

....but, it's good to see that some kind hearted souls are writing procedures
which enable one to recreate the raft of things that are missing in Vista.
i.e. Quite why MS decided to configure Vista, so that once installed,
there's "nothing" there, eludes me !!!

regards, Richard

RJK

RJK said:
[...]

There are some things Ubuntu can't do like play most video games and
programs written especially for Windows like PhotoShop. If you can ever
sort your product key out, you might want to either dual boot with XP
and Ubuntu or use WUBI and Ubuntu will be a program hosted by Windows.
It really isn't much different than Windows except that it's much easier
to install and all the updates come from one source, as do the programs.
If you dual boot, you need to install XP first and then Ubuntu. Leave
some unallocated space on your hard drive when you format and partition
the drive for Ubuntu to use. If you need help, my email is good once you
take out NUK3THIS.

Alias