Introducing myself

Hello,

My name is Noah and this is my first post to Windows XP newsgroups.

It is my hope that I can create a thread here on a subject I am having
trouble with and get some intellegent answers from experienced users. I also
hope that I can contribute with feed-back that will help those with similar
problems to mine.

Before I ask a question or start a thread, I am going to browse through some
of the discussion-list records to see if some or all of my questions and
problems could already be in the posts.

Right now I am interested in finding and using better and more efficient
ways to backup files than using the Windows Backup Utility Wizard. I notice
that there is thread on this subject, so I will take the time to to look at
the postings.

Until I have a question, thank you and goodbye.

Best Regards,
Noah

Curt Christianson

Nice to meet you Noah.
Please post back if you have any questions. I'm not the backup guru, but
there are plenty here that are.

--
Curt

http://dundats.mvps.org/
http://www.aumha.org/

| Hello,
|
| My name is Noah and this is my first post to Windows XP newsgroups.
|
| It is my hope that I can create a thread here on a subject I am having
| trouble with and get some intellegent answers from experienced users. I
also
| hope that I can contribute with feed-back that will help those with
similar
| problems to mine.
|
| Before I ask a question or start a thread, I am going to browse through
some
| of the discussion-list records to see if some or all of my questions and
| problems could already be in the posts.
|
| Right now I am interested in finding and using better and more efficient
| ways to backup files than using the Windows Backup Utility Wizard. I
notice
| that there is thread on this subject, so I will take the time to to look
at
| the postings.
|
| Until I have a question, thank you and goodbye.
|
| Best Regards,
| Noah

Malke

Noah said:
Hello,

My name is Noah and this is my first post to Windows XP newsgroups.

It is my hope that I can create a thread here on a subject I am having
trouble with and get some intellegent answers from experienced users. I also
hope that I can contribute with feed-back that will help those with similar
problems to mine.

Before I ask a question or start a thread, I am going to browse through some
of the discussion-list records to see if some or all of my questions and
problems could already be in the posts.

Right now I am interested in finding and using better and more efficient
ways to backup files than using the Windows Backup Utility Wizard. I notice
that there is thread on this subject, so I will take the time to to look at
the postings.

Hi, Noah. Definitely come back after you've done your research. In the
meantime, you may want to set up a real newsreader to access these
groups (very easy to do). The web interface which you are using is the
worst way to access the MS newsgroups. Here's information on that:

Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are some
links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://groups.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=basics.html - Basics
of Usenet
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief
explanation of newsgroups

Using Outlook Express as Newsreader:
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express Newsreader

How to Post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs. crossposting

Malke

Curt Christianson

Malke,

I like your post a lot better ;-)

--
Curt

http://dundats.mvps.org/
http://www.aumha.org/

| Noah wrote:
| > Hello,
| >
| > My name is Noah and this is my first post to Windows XP newsgroups.
| >
| > It is my hope that I can create a thread here on a subject I am having
| > trouble with and get some intellegent answers from experienced users. I
also
| > hope that I can contribute with feed-back that will help those with
similar
| > problems to mine.
| >
| > Before I ask a question or start a thread, I am going to browse through
some
| > of the discussion-list records to see if some or all of my questions and
| > problems could already be in the posts.
| >
| > Right now I am interested in finding and using better and more efficient
| > ways to backup files than using the Windows Backup Utility Wizard. I
notice
| > that there is thread on this subject, so I will take the time to to look
at
| > the postings.
|
| Hi, Noah. Definitely come back after you've done your research. In the
| meantime, you may want to set up a real newsreader to access these
| groups (very easy to do). The web interface which you are using is the
| worst way to access the MS newsgroups. Here's information on that:
|
| Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
| really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
| learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
| but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are some
| links to information about newsgroups:
|
| About Usenet:
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
| http://groups.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=basics.html - Basics
| of Usenet
| http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief
| explanation of newsgroups
|
| Using Outlook Express as Newsreader:
| http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm
| http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
| Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express Newsreader
| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
|
| How to Post:
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
|
| http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups
| microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
| working properly
| http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
| http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

| Malke
| --
| Elephant Boy Computers
| www.elephantboycomputers.com
| "Don't Panic!"
| MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi! Noah. I am new to this site also and am anxious to get me question
answered too. Just couldn't figure out how to post one. New at all of this.
If you could help that would be wonderful.

Thank you,
Anita

Rock

Noah said:
[...]

Experienced users?, yep lots of them. Intelligent answers, now that's a
horse of a different color. There is quite a bit of info and discussion in
Thanks for taking the time to do some research on your question before
posting something that has been asked/answered many times.

We always need folks to help out here.

Rock

Anita L. said:
Hi! Noah. I am new to this site also and am anxious to get me question
answered too. Just couldn't figure out how to post one. New at all of
this.
If you could help that would be wonderful.

Anita, the major part of the problem you are having is that you're using the
web interface, which is just about the worst way to access what are actually
Usenet newsgroups. The interface is awful. I recommend using a newsreader.
XP comes with Outlook Express which can be set up for newsgroup access.
Here is a link to an article on how to do this.

Ken Blake, MVP

Noah said:
My name is Noah and this is my first post to Windows XP newsgroups.

Welcome, Noah. Let me point out that you are using the web interface to
participate in this newsgroup. That's the slowest, clunkiest, most
error-prone method there is. Do yourself a favor and switch to a newsreader,
such as Outlook Express, which comes with Windows. See

Right now I am interested in finding and using better and more
efficient ways to backup files than using the Windows Backup Utility
Wizard. I notice that there is thread on this subject, so I will take
the time to to look at the postings.

Here's my standard post on backup. You may find some of this helpful:

First of all, almost everyone should be backing up regularly. It is always
possible that a hard drive crash, user error, nearby lightning strike, virus
attack, even theft of the computer, can cause the loss of everything on your
drive. As has often been said, it's not a matter of whether you will have
such a problem, but when.

Essentially you should back up what you can't afford to lose--what you can't
readily recreate. What that is depends on how you use your computer and what
you use it for.

It takes time and effort to backup, but it also takes time and effort to
recreate lost data. If you back up daily, you should never have to recreate
more than one day's worth of last data. If weekly, there's potentially a lot
more to recreate. You should assess how much pain and trouble you would have
if you lost x days of data, and then choose a backup frequency that doesn't
involve more pain and trouble than that you would have if you had to
recreate what was lost.

Some things (photographs, for instance) can never be recreated, and more
frequent backup may be wanted for them.

At one extreme is the professional user who would likely go out of business
if his data was lost. He probably needs to back up at least daily. At the
other extreme is the kid who doesn't use his computer except to play games.
He probably needs no backup at all, since worst case he can easily reinstall
his games.

Most of us fall somewhere between those extremes, but nobody can tell you
where you fall; you need to determine that for yourself.

Should you back up Windows? Should you back up your applications? Most
people will tell you no, since you can always reinstall these easily from
the original media. But I don't think the answer is so clear-cut. Many
people have substantial time and effort invested in customizing Windows and
configuring their apps to work the way they want to. Putting all of that
back the way it was can be a difficult, time-consuming effort. Whether you
should backup up Windows and apps depends, once again, on you.

How to backup? What software to use? There are many choices, including the
Windows-supplied backup program. Which choice is best for you depends at
least in part on the answers to some of the questions above.

Finally what backup media should you choose, and how should it be stored?
There are many choices, including CDs, tape, zip drives, and second hard
drives.

I don't recommend backup to a second non-removable hard drive because it
leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and backup to
many of the most common dangers: severe power glitches, nearby lightning
strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer.

In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not kept in
the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for example, if the life of
your business depends on your data) you should have multiple generations of
backup, and at least one of those generations should be stored off-site.

My computer isn't used for business, but my personal backup scheme uses two
identical removable hard drives,I alternate between the two, and use Acronis
True Image to make a complete copy of the primary drive.

I also use a pair of 1GB thumb drives for making more frequent backups of my
most critical data (like financial information). For that I just drag and
drop.

Hi Anita, this is my first reply to a member of the Window XP General
newsgroup.

I just went through the following trial and error procedure which resulted
in error:
First, I read your message in Outlook-Express Newsreader. Then, I clicked
Reply on the Outlook-Express Toolbar. Next, I typed in a message. Before I
sent it, I noticed the "To:" line was empty so I typed in,
"microsoft.public.windowsxp.general". When I sent it, The computer gave me an
error message because I didn't type in the correct address format.

It seems that I can only reply to your message when I enter the Newsgroup
with my Browser, Internet Explorer, and not the Newsreader, Outlook Express.
I suspect that you are using your browser to view the Newsgroup. If so, there
are replies from this thread that explain how and why to use a newsreader
Program.

Good luck to you and let me know if this advice is helpful.

-Noah

Ken Blake, MVP

Patrick said:
Hi Anita, this is my first reply to a member of the Window XP General
newsgroup.

I just went through the following trial and error procedure which
resulted in error:
First, I read your message in Outlook-Express Newsreader. Then, I
clicked Reply on the Outlook-Express Toolbar.

That was the wrong thing to do. "Reply" means an E-mail reply. What you
should have done is click "Reply Group."

Next, I typed in a
message. Before I sent it, I noticed the "To:" line was empty so I
typed in, "microsoft.public.windowsxp.general". When I sent it, The
computer gave me an error message because I didn't type in the
correct address format.

Sure. Because "microsoft.public.windowsxp.general" is not an E-mail
addtress. When you use Reply Group, the newsgroup name is filled in for you
automatically. You don't have to do it.

It seems that I can only reply to your message when I enter the
Newsgroup with my Browser, Internet Explorer, and not the Newsreader,
Outlook Express.

Only because you did it wrong. Stick with it, ask questions here if you have
a problem, and you'll get it worked out.

Hi Anita, I tried the link that Rock gave us for setting up Outlook Express
as a Newsreader. I think I followed all the directions, but I am going to
double check. One problem I'm having is that I cannot reply to messages in
the newsreader, I can only view posts. Let me know how your're doing with
this.

Noah

Rock

Patrick said:
Hi Anita, I tried the link that Rock gave us for setting up Outlook
Express
as a Newsreader. I think I followed all the directions, but I am going to
double check. One problem I'm having is that I cannot reply to messages in
the newsreader, I can only view posts. Let me know how your're doing with
this.

When replying to a newsgroup message choose Reply to Group. Also there is a
newsgroup for Outlook Express if you have other questions.