Internet keeps cutting off

Reaction score
Can someone please give me some pointers as to why my internet connection periodically cuts off?

I have a Netgear router and Asus plugs so sort of wireless.

With these Asus plugs, I have noticed if I'm not surfing for a few minutes, it cuts off. I can live with that.

The problem is when I am actively surfing, sometimes it still cuts off, only to reconnect within a minute or perhaps longer.

Thanks

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Can someone please give me some pointers as to why my internet connection periodically cuts off?

I have a Netgear router and Asus plugs so sort of wireless.

With these Asus plugs, I have noticed if I'm not surfing for a few minutes, it cuts off. I can live with that.

The problem is when I am actively surfing, sometimes it still cuts off, only to reconnect within a minute or perhaps longer.

Thanks
Is it your connection that is dropping or just the connection between the homeplugs? (I assume you mean homeplugs when you say 'Asus plugs'?) Meaning does the router loose sync or is it just the plugs that loose sync.

Have you thought of contacting your ISP?
If its the homeplugs disconnecting and not the actual internet connection what would be the point of that exactly?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I didn't. I was asking you a question.

Reaction score
Yeah, called ISP but got no help.

Nothing wrong with the plugs or any other connections (ie not loose).

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So is it the connection thats dropping then?

Try a wired connection?

Reaction score
Still cuts off.

Not sure if it's the netgear at fault or not as some days, it works perfectly or my ISP offering a dodgy service.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Still cuts off.

Not sure if it's the netgear at fault or not as some days, it works perfectly or my ISP offering a dodgy service.
I'm assuming from that, that it is the connection dropping and not the wireless plugs loosing sync.

You really need to know for sure its the connection thats dropping, the router should log any drops/resyncs.

If that is the case, as it sounds like it, then we need to see some line stats. (SNR, Attenuation etc)

What model is the router?
Who is your ISP?
Details of the connection, ADSL? VDSL? Dialup(!)?

Can you hear any noise on the line if you dial 17070 and choose option 2?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes. same problem.

So in that case..........

I'm assuming from that, that it is the connection dropping and not the wireless plugs loosing sync.

You really need to know for sure its the connection thats dropping, the router should log any drops/resyncs.

If that is the case, as it sounds like it, then we need to see some line stats. (SNR, Attenuation etc)

Who is your ISP?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
mal-what.gif

Who is your ISP?

Reaction score
Tried using dial-up and it was fine.

The three lights on the modem router, Wireless, DSL and Internet need to be on for it to connect.

However, only the first two are on, suggesting a fault.

Thinking of getting a new modem router but not Netgear.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
netgear 300
tiscali
ADSL

there is noise

Also found using the free modem that comes with tiscal also cuts off intermittently.

Sending engineer round so see what happens.

If all else fails, go with another ISP.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sounds like there is noise on the line. (this is what i asked you the same thing 4 times - its important) So you will need an engineer out to check for faults. Remember though, if the fault if found to be on your premises you are liable to be charged.

Good luck.....

Reaction score
Sounds like there is noise on the line. (this is what i asked you the same thing 4 times - its important) So you will need an engineer out to check for faults. Remember though, if the fault if found to be on your premises you are liable to be charged.

Good luck.....

Thanks for the advice.

Got a Belkin modem router and all's fine so far.

Not sure why the free modem was working but then didn't.

Ask a Question