INTERNET EXPLORER ERROR MESSAGES

Whilst surfing the internet my computer comes up with a window with an error
message along the lines of 'internet explorer has experienced a problem and
will need to close' there is then a small admin message at the bottom asking
whether to report the problem. Any ideas how to repair the problem

PA Bear

Did you Submit a report? If there was a link given in the "Report
Submitted" window, did you click on it and try the listed suggestions?

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
for expert analysis, not here.**

Howard Woodard

LA, did this help? For the past month or so I've been getting these little
"need to close" dialogue boxes. I've religiously reported it each time but
have yet to get any response on what is causing it. Nothing seems to stop
when I get it. If IE is up it stays up and unchanged. If windows explorer
is up it stays up and unchanged.

I've looked around the KB and found some references to this problem but it
seems that this particular gotta-close dialogue is used for lots of
different situations.

I've run registry cleaner and Ad-Aware but they haven't found anything weird
or anything that they thought needed removing.

It's really irritating.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Click on the "For more information" button the next time you get one of
these errors. The DLL that's listed may provide a hint as to the problem.

Also... follow PAB's "Help with Hijackware" links. A thorough search for
malware is in order. Post a HijackThis log for analysis.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Howard Woodard

Will do. Thanks.

Btw, I assume that you mean that I should post the hijackthis log here on
this forum?

Howard Woodard said:
LA, did this help? For the past month or so I've been getting these little
"need to close" dialogue boxes. I've religiously reported it each time but
have yet to get any response on what is causing it. Nothing seems to
stop
when I get it. If IE is up it stays up and unchanged. If windows explorer
is up it stays up and unchanged.

I've looked around the KB and found some references to this problem but
it
seems that this particular gotta-close dialogue is used for lots of
different situations.

I've run registry cleaner and Ad-Aware but they haven't found anything weird
or anything that they thought needed removing.

It's really irritating.

Howard Woodard

Never mind -- I got it.

Thanks,

Howard
==================================

LYNENHAM ADMIN wrote:
Whilst surfing the internet my computer comes up with a window with
an
error message along the lines of 'internet explorer has experienced a
problem and will need to close' there is then a small admin message
at
the bottom asking whether to report the problem. Any ideas how to repair
the problem

Howard Woodard

I got the following:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: unknown

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0235d445

"Unknown" is not very helpful is it?

Howard Woodard said:
LA, did this help? For the past month or so I've been getting these little
"need to close" dialogue boxes. I've religiously reported it each time but
have yet to get any response on what is causing it. Nothing seems to
stop
when I get it. If IE is up it stays up and unchanged. If windows explorer
is up it stays up and unchanged.

I've looked around the KB and found some references to this problem but
it
seems that this particular gotta-close dialogue is used for lots of
different situations.

I've run registry cleaner and Ad-Aware but they haven't found anything weird
or anything that they thought needed removing.

It's really irritating.

Don Varnau

Hi,
"ModName: unknown" does *very* often indicate a malware infection. The
HijackThis log analysis should get things fixed up. Be sure to visit the
prevention links that PA Bear posted.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

LYNENHAM ADMIN wrote:
Whilst surfing the internet my computer comes up with a window with an
error message along the lines of 'internet explorer has experienced a
problem and will need to close' there is then a small admin message at
the bottom asking whether to report the problem. Any ideas how to
repair the problem

Robert Aldwinckle

Howard Woodard said:
I got the following:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: unknown

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0235d445

"Unknown" is not very helpful is it?

It's a symptom of possible third-party interference.
Typically what it indicates is either register corruption
(e.g. due to storage overlays) or program mismanagement
e.g. returning to a module which once was loaded in the
area where the crash occurred but was since unloaded.

In order to find out you could try looking for clues either after or
before the crash (assuming you know how to reproduce it),
e.g. using a tool such as Process Explorer try to see if there
is ever a module loaded which would contain your crash address.

After the crash you could still get some clues from the Stack Back Trace
of the crashing thread. In order to look at it you need to view the
dump (e.g. in drwtsn32.log) find the line representing the crash
address (It's prefixed by FAULT ->) and then scrolling down to
the next section called Stack Back Trace. The section after that,
called Raw Stack Dump, is sometimes useful too if it contains
readable text interpretation of the hex strings.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---