Internet Explorer and Windows Protection

Tom in TAmpa

I have tried to rename or delete IEXPLORER.exe and within
a few seconds, the original (89kb) file reappears. I am
using WinXP Home, SP1a and IE 6. My effort is to rename
Firefox.exe (mozilla) as IEXPLORER.exe thus tricking
Windows into thinking it is the original browser. Since
IEXPLORER.exe has NO popup/popunder capability, I get
slammed with ads and spyware. These programs do not even
require that I visit a particular site, nor do they
require that a browser be open to activate. This is
intrusive and since Microsoft has chosen to ignore this
problem I want to take action, but Windows is preventing
me. Some of this spyware/adware has caused programs I am
running to exit just to load a popup, often losing the
data I was editing.

Jan Il

Hi Tom :)

IE is a core part of the Windows XP program, therefore, you *can not* delete
it, nor should you try. Doing so will perhaps cause serious damage to your
program.

To set Firefox as your default browser, simply open the Tools | Options |
General tab, Browser Default, and then check the box next to Firefox should
check to see if it is the default browser when starting then click on the
Check now tab, and when it says that Firefox is now your default browser
just click yes.

Good Rule of Thumb: Never delete or disable anything until you are *sure* it
will not cause harm to your system. :)

Hope this helps.

Jan :)

Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.
Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Tom in Tampa