Internet connection suddenly failing

G

I have a workstation that was running Win98 SE when the user reported that the internet connection was failing. The machine connects to my LAN just fine but I still cannot make an internet connection with the machine. I have since upgraded the workstation to Win2000 and have restored all networking. Still, good connect to my LAN but no internet connection. On this workstation, I have checked the LAN settings, the DHCP settings, changed to Static IP address, assigned preferred and alt DNS addrs, checked the WINS settings, ... still, I cannot get out. Not sure where to look. Any help is greatly appreciated.

M

Marc Reynolds [MSFT]

What can you do on the workstation? Can you ping the default gateway? Can
you ping anything on the Internet by name (try www.yahoo.com)? Can you ping
Internet IP addresses?

--

Thanks,
Marc Reynolds
Microsoft Technical Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

DaveJ said:
I have a workstation that was running Win98 SE when the user reported that
the internet connection was failing. The machine connects to my LAN just
fine but I still cannot make an internet connection with the machine. I
have since upgraded the workstation to Win2000 and have restored all
networking. Still, good connect to my LAN but no internet connection. On
this workstation, I have checked the LAN settings, the DHCP settings,
changed to Static IP address, assigned preferred and alt DNS addrs, checked
the WINS settings, ... still, I cannot get out. Not sure where to look.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

G

I can ping IP addresses on my LAN (other workstations, etc.) but I cannot ping internet addresses (www.yahoo.com, www.google.com, etc.)
I cannot ping my Default Gateway ... but then I can't ping it from any workstation. This is the only workstation that I cannot connect to the internet with. ???

G

Hmmmm.....
I cannot ping www.yahoo.com or it's IP addr (66.218.71.198) from any of my workstations. Yet I'm able to use Internet Explorer (5.5 or 6.0) to make a good connection to the www.yahoo.com site (except with the one workstation). ??
I'm perplexed!

G

-- Issue resolved -
I began troubleshooting my Web Proxy settings and was able to reinstall the client proxy service then make Internet Explorer automatically detect my LAN settings
I thought I'd been all through this before ... but this time it worked for me.

Ask a Question