Internet activity icon

Hoppy

Hi -

I'm looking for a standalone program that will display send/receive internet
activity for the XP systray -- similar to the one in ZoneAlarm. Is there
such a thing? TIA...

lugnut

Hi -

I'm looking for a standalone program that will display send/receive internet
activity for the XP systray -- similar to the one in ZoneAlarm. Is there
such a thing? TIA...

If you have XP, go to your network connections in the
control panel. Right click on your Local Area Connection.
At the bottom of the panel, check the box to "Show Icon in
Notification area when connected."

Lugnut

Hoppy

K3 wrote on Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:29:08 GMT:

K> Hoppy wrote:
??>> Hi -
??>>
??>> I'm looking for a standalone program that will display send/receive
??>> internet activity for the XP systray -- similar to the one in
??>> ZoneAlarm. Is there such a thing? TIA...

K> LanLight --> http://www.dalesplace.net/download/lanlight.htm

Lanlight looks the same as the XP LAN icon.

I'm looking for something more comprehensive like the one that (used to be?)
used in ZoneAlarm -- like a 2-column bar graph.

Thank you anyway...

Hoppy

lugnut wrote on Sun, 09 Oct 2005 12:18:57 -0400:

??>> Hi -
??>>
??>> I'm looking for a standalone program that will display send/receive
??>> internet activity for the XP systray -- similar to the one in
??>> ZoneAlarm. Is there such a thing? TIA...

l> If you have XP, go to your network connections in the
l> control panel. Right click on your Local Area Connection.
l> At the bottom of the panel, check the box to "Show Icon in
l> Notification area when connected."

Thanks, lugnut, but I'm looking for something more like the one that (used
to be?) used in ZoneAlarm or the TrafLED plugin available for OutPost
firewall -- like a 2-column bar graph or such.

Thank you for the effort.

K3

Hoppy said:
K3 wrote on Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:29:08 GMT:

Lanlight looks the same as the XP LAN icon.

I'm looking for something more comprehensive like the one that (used
to be?) used in ZoneAlarm -- like a 2-column bar graph.

Thank you anyway...

You can always use an icon extractor and extract the red/green icons from
ZoneAlarm and use those icons with LanLight. ZoneAlarm has 32 icons in
ZLCLIENT.EXE that are used to animate the icon in the system tray. With
LanLight, you're limited to using 4 icons (idle, send, receive and
send&receive). Right-click on the LanLight icon in the system tray and
select "Change Icons".

Just a thought

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

"Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

Hoppy

Herbert wrote on Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:34:01 +1000:

HN> TRy this one:
HN> http://readerror.gmxhome.de/
HN> H.N.

Thanks for the link, Herbert. This is more like it.

The screenshots look like all full screen. Do you know if this program has
a tray icon that looks resembles the screenshots?

Hoppy

Herbert wrote on Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:34:01 +1000:

HN> TRy this one:
HN> http://readerror.gmxhome.de/
HN> H.N.

Well... my curiosity got the best of me, and I installed the latest (beta2)
version. This is a VERY NICE little program.

With all it's options -- like the "see through" & "transparency" features --
the graphic really doesn't need to reside in the systray/notification area
since my screen real estate remains essentially uncompromised.

The "Always on top" option doesn't alway stick, but this looks like a
keeper. Thank you very much.

Hoppy

K3 wrote on Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:23:52 GMT:

K> Hoppy wrote:
??>> K3 wrote on Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:29:08 GMT:
??>>
??>>> Hoppy wrote:
??>>>> Hi -
??>>>>
??>>>> I'm looking for a standalone program that will display send/receive
??>>>> internet activity for the XP systray -- similar to the one in
??>>>> ZoneAlarm. Is there such a thing? TIA...
??>>
??>>> LanLight --> http://www.dalesplace.net/download/lanlight.htm
??>>
??>> Lanlight looks the same as the XP LAN icon.
??>>
??>> I'm looking for something more comprehensive like the one that (used
??>> to be?) used in ZoneAlarm -- like a 2-column bar graph.
??>>
??>> Thank you anyway...

K> You can always use an icon extractor and extract the red/green icons
K> from ZoneAlarm and use those icons with LanLight. ZoneAlarm has 32
K> icons in ZLCLIENT.EXE that are used to animate the icon in the system
K> tray. With LanLight, you're limited to using 4 icons (idle, send,
K> receive and send&receive). Right-click on the LanLight icon in the
K> system tray and select "Change Icons".

K> Just a thought

....and a good thought at that! I may just give that a shot. Thank you very
much for the tip(s).

Herbert Nagler

TRy this one:
Well... my curiosity got the best of me, and I installed the latest
(beta2) version. This is a VERY NICE little program.

With all it's options -- like the "see through" & "transparency"
features -- the graphic really doesn't need to reside in the
systray/notification area since my screen real estate remains
essentially uncompromised.

The "Always on top" option doesn't alway stick, but this looks like a
keeper. Thank you very much.

MChan

You might try:

Network Traffic Monitor (NetTraffic)

http://www.geocities.com/modemgph

Short Description:
------------------
Realtime network traffic plotter

Long Description:
-----------------
NetTraffic v1.0 BETA - This free program
plots in realtime all data sent and received
via all your TCP/IP Network adaptors. Shows
separate sent, received, send rate, received
rate, peaks and totals. Five graphs and
statistics. Animated System Tray Icon. Highly
customisable - colours, graph size, plot lines,
sample rate, 3D graph, axis, fonts, backgrounds.

Version Info:
1.0 22 August, 2002
Fix - Resolve issues with WinXP/2000
1.0 BETA 04 July, 2002
Add - Create using stripped ModemGPH to make monitoring possible
on all Windows platforms.