    for the site to come up. If they just type "name.com" or http://name.com, it
    does not come up..

    Is there something I can do to fix this? Any help is mucho appreciated.

    JimBee, Jun 25, 2007

  2. Read inline please.

    In news:,
    JimBee <> typed:
    > I have a W2K domain with a domain name "name.com". When my users go
    > to our company website which is not hosted in house, they must type
    > in the "www" for the site to come up. If they just type "name.com" or
    > http://name.com, it does not come up..
    >
    > Is there something I can do to fix this? Any help is mucho
    > appreciated.

    The only way to access the web site is with the www, because the domain name
    must resolve to the IP addresses of all Domain Controllers that have file
    sharing enable. This is so the DFS shares, \\name.com\sysvol and
    \\name.com\netlogon are accessible to all domain member clients.
    There is a fairly easy workaround, if you have IIS installed on your DCs,
    you can configure a web site for name.com, then on the Home Directory tab of
    that site, select redirection to a URL and enter http://www.name.com in the
    field that opens. Otherwise, without the DCs redirecting the site, you'll
    have to use www.name.com.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    http://support.wftx.us/
    http://message.wftx.us/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP], Jun 25, 2007

  3. JimBee

    Guest Guest

    Is there a MS Tech note that addresses this, my internal domain name is
    domain.com , external www.domain.com. How do I access the external site from
    internal computers.? need to setup DNS forwarding??

    Guest, Aug 4, 2007
  4. In news:,
    MARK_CT <> typed:
    > Is there a MS Tech note that addresses this, my internal domain name
    > is domain.com , external www.domain.com. How do I access the external
    > site from internal computers.? need to setup DNS forwarding??
    >
    > "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Read inline please.
    > >
    > > In news:,
    > > JimBee <> typed:
    > > > I have a W2K domain with a domain name "name.com". When my users
    > > > go to our company website which is not hosted in house, they must
    > > > type in the "www" for the site to come up. If they just type
    > > > "name.com" or http://name.com, it does not come up..
    > > >
    > > > Is there something I can do to fix this? Any help is mucho
    > > > appreciated.

    > > The only way to access the web site is with the www, because the
    > > domain name must resolve to the IP addresses of all Domain
    > > Controllers that have file sharing enable. This is so the DFS
    > > shares, \\name.com\sysvol and \\name.com\netlogon are accessible to
    > > all domain member clients.
    > > There is a fairly easy workaround, if you have IIS installed on
    > > your DCs, you can configure a web site for name.com, then on the
    > > Home Directory tab of that site, select redirection to a URL and
    > > enter http://www.name.com in the field that opens. Otherwise,
    > > without the DCs redirecting the site, you'll have to use
    > > www.name.com.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Best regards,
    > > Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > > Hope This Helps
    > >
    > > ===================================
    > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
    > > via your newsreader so that others may learn and
    > > benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
    > > me remove the nospam. from my email address.
    > > ===================================
    > > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > > http://support.wftx.us/
    > > http://message.wftx.us/
    > > ===================================
    > > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
    > > It will strip signature out and more
    > > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    > > ===================================
    > > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
    > > with OEBackup:
    > > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
    > > ===================================

    No, there is no tech article that addresses this. Here is a copy/paste of a
    post I just replied to someone else with this same issue. It has similar if
    not the same info Kevin jsut replied to the other poster with.

    /start re-post:
    -------------------------
    Common scenario with an easy fix.

    Two choices:

    1. Obtain the IP address of the external web server. Then under your
    mydomain.com zone, right-click, new Host, type in www (without the quotes),
    and provide the IP address you obtained. To allow users to get to it using
    http://mydomain.com (without the www portion), on your DC and every DC (this
    is because of the LdapIpAddress, or the 'same as parent' record), go into
    IIS, under the default website properties, home Directory tab, setup a
    redirect to www.mydomain.com.

    2. Find out who the external authorative name servers are for the domain.
    Then right-click your internal zone mydomain.com, New, Delegation, then
    provide it with a www, then for the name servers, provide the authorative
    name servers you obtained. This will allow for the hosting company to
    occasionally change the webserver's IP address and you will still get to the
    site. Yea, some ISPs do that and don't tell you. You will also need to do
    the
    redirect explained in Step#1 to make http://mydomain.com work.
    --------------------------
    /end re-post

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    confers no rights.

    Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT,
    MVP Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

    Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

    Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
    Try using Outlook Express or any other newsreader, configure a news
    account, and point it to news.microsoft.com. Anonymous access. It's
    easy and it's free:

    How to Configure OEx for Internet News
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates or a bowl of cherries or
    peaches... Life is more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today
    may burn your butt tomorrow." - Garfield

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Aug 5, 2007
  5. Read inline please.

    In news:,
    Ace Fekay [MVP] <> typed:

    > 2. Find out who the external authorative name servers are for the
    > domain. Then right-click your internal zone mydomain.com, New,
    > Delegation, then provide it with a www, then for the name servers,
    > provide the authorative name servers you obtained. This will allow
    > for the hosting company to occasionally change the webserver's IP
    > address and you will still get to the site. Yea, some ISPs do that
    > and don't tell you. You will also need to do the
    > redirect explained in Step#1 to make http://mydomain.com work.
    > --------------------------
    > /end re-post

    Ace, before they create the delegation, they need to check that the External
    hosting provider for DNS isn't using a CNAME record for www, sometimes this
    record points to the root of the domain name ie. "mydomain.com", if they do
    this, due to the CNAME record they still get the DC's address for
    www.nydomain.com. Other times, I've seen the www.mydomain.com record at the
    external hosting provider point to someotherdomain.com. If this is the case,
    all you need to do is create the same CNAME record, pointing to
    someotherdomain.com.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    ===================================
    ===================================

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP], Aug 5, 2007
  6. In news:,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <> typed:

    > Ace, before they create the delegation, they need to check that the
    > External hosting provider for DNS isn't using a CNAME record for www,
    > sometimes this record points to the root of the domain name ie.
    > "mydomain.com", if they do this, due to the CNAME record they still
    > get the DC's address for www.nydomain.com. Other times, I've seen the
    > www.mydomain.com record at the external hosting provider point to
    > someotherdomain.com. If this is the case, all you need to do is
    > create the same CNAME record, pointing to someotherdomain.com.

    Good point. Many hosting providers are doing this now and it complicates
    things.

    Thanks!

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Aug 5, 2007