    "last good boot" or something similar and every thing will be fine for
    another 6 or 7 boot ups. Anyone have any ideas. I can live with this but it
    is annoying. Thank you

    Guest, Sep 25, 2004

    Jon Guest

    Have a look in your BIOS for an option like "Quickboot mode" where certain
    POST tests
    are skipped. If that is enabled, disable it and retry.

    Jon

    Jon, Sep 25, 2004

    Malke Guest

    Jon wrote:

    > Have a look in your BIOS for an option like "Quickboot mode" where
    > certain POST tests
    > are skipped. If that is enabled, disable it and retry.
    >

    > Jon
    >

    > "Nancy Snyder" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> Intermittently, XP will not boot, about 1 in every 6 or 7 trys.
    >> This
    >> started after I installed SP2. I am shown the menu to enter into the
    >> BIOS but
    >> that is all I see on the screen. XP won't even start to boot and the
    >> computer
    >> justs locks up completely. I have to pull the plug out of the wall
    >> socket. After a minute, I plug back into the power and it will boot
    >> and I choose "last good boot" or something similar and every thing
    >> will be fine for another 6 or 7 boot ups. Anyone have any ideas. I
    >> can live with this but it
    >> is annoying. Thank you

    The option for "Quickboot" will not be involved in causing this problem.
    This sounds like a classic case of the power supply failing or other
    hardware problems. Here are general hardware troubleshooting steps:

    1) open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
    observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing); 2) test
    the RAM - I like Memtest86 from www.memtest86.com - let the test run
    for an extended (like overnight) period of time - unless errors are
    seen immediately; 3) test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from
    the mftr.; 4) the power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for
    the devices you have in the system; 5) test the motherboard with
    something like TuffTest from www.tufftest.com. Testing hardware
    failures often involves swapping out suspected parts with known-good
    parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are uncomfortable
    opening your computer, take the machine to a good local computer repair
    shop (not a CompUSA or Best Buy type of store).

    I would start with checking the possibility of overheating and the power
    supply first.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Sep 25, 2004

    Rock Guest

    Nancy Snyder wrote:
    > Intermittently, XP will not boot, about 1 in every 6 or 7 trys. This
    > started after I installed SP2. I am shown the menu to enter into the BIOS but
    > that is all I see on the screen. XP won't even start to boot and the computer
    > justs locks up completely. I have to pull the plug out of the wall socket.
    > After a minute, I plug back into the power and it will boot and I choose
    > "last good boot" or something similar and every thing will be fine for
    > another 6 or 7 boot ups. Anyone have any ideas. I can live with this but it
    > is annoying. Thank you

    Could be a failing power supply unit.

    Rock, Sep 26, 2004