interminant vpn pptp failure as no GRE packets

scott

Hi,

I have a intermittent problem with windows 2000 and 98 client establishing a
pptp connection to a 2000 server. this was not a problem until sp4 for 2000.

My network involves

NET
netgear router RG114
netgear router RG114 > win2k client
firewall
2k server

NOTE:
- From the NET a 2k client and a 98 machine can sometimes establish a pptp
connection.
- When they cant i get error 721 on 2000 and 650 on 98.
- From the win2k client on the middle router i can always establish a PPTP
connection.
- From an XP clinet on my LAN i can always establish a PPTP connection.
- The errors displayed are related to GRE (protocol 47) but it was working
before SP4.
- When attempting a connection my firewall reports PPTP only when it fails.
- But Firewall reports PPTP and GRE when it succeeds.
- Router must support GRE as microsoft support say connection would never
have worked.
- Firewall set to report MATCH and NO MATCH. when failed no GRE mismatch
reported.
- Hence I think GRE does not seem to get this far.

TESTS:
- 2k dial up adapter set to PPTP only. ie so time not wasted with timeout on
unwated protocols.
- amending 2000 server registry as per kb article
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=271731 and
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810839 . Set an no address validate.
- rolling back to SP3.
- making sure no L2PT ports are avaible from available on 2000 server.

Im at a loss to explain why sometimes i can connect and other times i get
the errors above. Can someone please help ?

Thanks for any information at all
Scott.

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Scott,

The following article explains the change made in SP4 and the resolution:

271731 PPTP clients cannot connect to a PPTP server that has multiple IP
http://kb/article.asp?id=Q271731

Thanks,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "scott" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: interminant vpn pptp failure as no GRE packets
'--'Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:09:40 -0000
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'Hi,
'--'
'--'I have a intermittent problem with windows 2000 and 98 client establishing a
'--'pptp connection to a 2000 server. this was not a problem until sp4 for 2000.
'--'
'--'My network involves
'--'
'--'NET
'--'v
'--'netgear router RG114
'--'v
'--'netgear router RG114 > win2k client
'--'v
'--'firewall
'--'v
'--'2k server
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.