Inter-Site Topology Generator Errors

G

We recently demoted and shutdown the original Windows 2000 AD DC. This server was originally a Windows NT server before we upgraded from NT Domain to 2000 AD. We have had to work through various problems, but have fixed them all except one. The server we shut down was the Inter-site Topology Generator (ISTG), and even after being shutdown for over 2 weeks AD still thinks this server is the ISTG. When you look in sites and services the server shows up as <server name>|DEL <a long guid>. Everything I have found to read about this role says that when the DC is detected as being down that AD will hold an election and move the role for you, but so far it hasn't done this. It looks like it thinks the server is still there. I've searched for a way to force this role to move, and my attempts to doing so have not worked so far, so I'm asking now if anyone knows of a way to manually, or forceably, make the ISTG role move to another domain controller. Thanks in advance for any hel

Jonathon

S

Stuart Graham

could be a duff demotion, try manually removing entries with kb216498, might
sort it...

stu

G

Stuart

I looked through the metadata and there is no indication that this server is still in the domain anywhere. Either through ADSIEdit, or ntdsutil I can not find an entry for this server, except as the ISTG

Any other ideas of how to make this role move
----- Stuart Graham wrote: ----

could be a duff demotion, try manually removing entries with kb216498, might
sort it..

st

S

Stuart Graham

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245610

Jonathon said:
Stuart,

I looked through the metadata and there is no indication that this server
is still in the domain anywhere. Either through ADSIEdit, or ntdsutil I
can not find an entry for this server, except as the ISTG.

Any other ideas of how to make this role move?
----- Stuart Graham wrote: -----

could be a duff demotion, try manually removing entries with kb216498,
might
sort it...

stu

Ask a Question