Intel Pentium 4E - The Contraversial "Prescott"

Reaction score
I have read many mixed reviews about the P4 Prescott. Was just wondering what you all thought about it?

p4prescott.jpg

and why wont these pics go AFTER the writing LOL

[EDIT - All fixed for you :) Ian]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Techy: Have read several reviews about it where some people are totally against it saying it is rubbish and convincing people not to buy it and other saying its great and reccomend it

Reefsmoka: You are correct. It also has improved hyperthreading and SSE3 extensions aswell as some net extension thing...

Reaction score
it had M A J O R teething problems. it overheated like a bitch and the northy performed better in some testes although intel changed something to fix a couple things...

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ive heard that the arent as good as intel say they are with,

increased cache size
SSE3
larger pipelines
reducing the distance between the gates and interconnects to reduce heat

although this is supposed to make them faster the P4 northwood still beats it in most benchmarks, intel say that they will be releasing a 4Ghz version which is the "sweet spot" for this core and maybe a 5ghz version which is supposedly its limit

Reaction score
yeah i heard that at the slower speeds, the full potential of the processor is not shown because the technology is meant to be run at higher speeds.

I heard that it will also really take off when intel release the Grantsdale and Alderswood stuff , New socket to replace S478 etc

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
hopefully when they do release them they will sort out the heat disipation and try to sort out how much power they draw until then im happy with my P4 Northwood

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well Intel say there getting out of the high clock speed game and doing what AMD do, and just slap numbers on like 2800+ when the clock speed is closer to 2000Mhz.

We'll have to see if there as sucessful as then P4 though.

Reaction score
I think they should name it the Pentium 5 and just give it the name of its clock speed e.g. P5 2.0a or whatever

Would be easier to understand than AMD's terminology as you would know exactly what you have and also it may be a selling point over AMD's products.

Ask a Question