Intel HD 300 for gaming

Reaction score
Hi guys,

im new to the forum and for my first post id like to ask a question about my current PC.

i5 2500k
Asus P8Z68 VPro motherboard
8GB DDR (corsair vengence)
Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

well the question is with the onboard Intel HD 3000 graphics my only graphics card as such, would this be good enough to run any modern games properly? at the moment i dont have much money to go out and buy a dedicated graphics card so im having to stick with what ive got.

any help would be great

Chris.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ahh thanks, im going to be buying Fifa 12 when its available, im more into sports games im guess,. although i could be tempted into the war games.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's the same setup as me except I have the i7 CPU and a 560 graphics card.

As already mentioned, you're probably ok with RPG games, possibly some sim games but you're unlikely to get good performance from fps (first person shooter) or any graphically intense games, which, unfortunately, would cover a lot of sports games.

You can pick up a medium specced graphics card up for less than £100 and a 560 is typically £150.

Reaction score
That's the same setup as me except I have the i7 CPU and a 560 graphics card.

As already mentioned, you're probably ok with RPG games, possibly some sim games but you're unlikely to get good performance from fps (first person shooter) or any graphically intense games, which, unfortunately, would cover a lot of sports games.

You can pick up a medium specced graphics card up for less than £100 and a 560 is typically £150.

ok thanks for the reply. il see how it goes, ive dug out GTA San andreas which runs well ( as it did with my old Pc)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if it ran any modern game half decent. Its a nice spec PC you have there with the lowest spec graphics card going. Do yourself a favor and buy a decent graphics card, a GTX560 seems to be popular and well priced at the moment so get one and enjoy some proper gaming!

Reaction score
ive managed to permantely "borrow" an old card from a friend, its a ATI 2600XT.

nothing great but its improved the Windows Experience rating from 6.3 to 6.5 for the graphics side

plus that Can i run it site now says i can run most of the games listed whereas before it said i couldnt

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if it ran any modern game half decent. Its a nice spec PC you have there with the lowest spec graphics card going. Do yourself a favor and buy a decent graphics card, a GTX560 seems to be popular and well priced at the moment so get one and enjoy some proper gaming!

Me again,

i have been looking into buying a new gpu, so whats the main differences between ATI and NVIDIA? is one better than the other or roughly the same?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Personally, I like NVidia better. I tend to not have as many issues with installation and usage as with ATI. My opinion, though.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
nvidia are the kings at the moment. the drivers are alot more reliable.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Me again,

i have been looking into buying a new gpu, so whats the main differences between ATI and NVIDIA? is one better than the other or roughly the same?
one wins a round, then the other, both have good gaming cards.

once apron a time, if you played games, nVidia was the choice, so a lot of us, especially them that got finger burnt, tended to stick with nVidia ... old habits. :D

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ATI: Cheaper, drivers sometimes a bit hit and miss.

Nvidia: More expensive, drivers tend to be more stable.

And that, very very briefly, is about it but the battle between who leads the market for best card changes just like shifting sands.

My long term preference since around 2002 has been with Nvidia but I wouldn't shy away from buying a current ATI/AMD card if it looked right for me.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have the EVGA 560, seems like a good card to me.

The price for the card in your link is nothing special.

Check out Scan and E-Buyer for a couple of suppliers who are in my experience a lot more reliable than Dabs.

Reaction score
Yeh i use Scan a lot, infact i bought my Pc from them in a Today only bundle, their prices for gpu are higher than ebuyer so i might use them

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What is your budget for the GPU? That should be your main concern. :)

That PC is crying out for a decent card though!

Reaction score
i think i can go upto £160, does manufacturer of the card make much difference? like i said im inclined to stick with Asus just because of my motherboard?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The manufacturer means not a lot tbh. Basically the only difference would be warranty, and what you get with the card. Oh and the sticker on the card too! lol

Nothing wrong with going with the cheaper brands, you will pay more (generally speaking) for an EVGA card as you will find you are paying a little more for the name etc...

Though for £167 if you can stretch to it, this would be a great card, and the best 'bang for buck' card you can get for the money at this time.. :thumb:

http://www.ebuyer.com/254405-asus-g...dvi-mini-hdmi-pci-e-engtx560-ti-dcii-2di-1gd5

Failing that then a 6870 (like this one) would be your best bet for ~£150

Heres a comparison of both cards so you can see the difference. :)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/290?vs=330

As you can see, not a lot in it, and both cards will, if your that way inclined, overclock like a beast! :cool:

Reaction score
The manufacturer means not a lot tbh. Basically the only difference would be warranty, and what you get with the card. Oh and the sticker on the card too! lol

Nothing wrong with going with the cheaper brands, you will pay more (generally speaking) for an EVGA card as you will find you are paying a little more for the name etc...

Though for £167 if you can stretch to it, this would be a great card, and the best 'bang for buck' card you can get for the money at this time.. :thumb:

http://www.ebuyer.com/254405-asus-g...dvi-mini-hdmi-pci-e-engtx560-ti-dcii-2di-1gd5

how weird, thats the very card i have been looking at this morning, its cheaper on ebuyer than my usual supplier Scan

Ask a Question