Installing XP

Stephen

Hi,

I've had XP for a year and it has been fine. I have
Norton so I don't think I have a virus but the software is
corrupted. I reinstalled XP but left the directories the
same so I could back it up.

But now I get this error message when I go onto XP.

error report:

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 :
8060AB13 BCP3 : F801F9AC
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0
Product : 256_1

Files that would go to Microsoft about the error report:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110403-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00
\sysdata.xml

I want to install XP and wipe out all the data (since I've
backed it up) but I don't know which "partition" to
choose.

Does anyone know which one to choose to install it from
scratch?

Thanks,

Stephen

Jeff Wade [MSFT]

Hello Stephen,

You use the following instructions to perform a clean installation of
Windows XP:

Installing to a New Hard Disk
-----------------------------

To install Windows XP to a new hard disk, you must start your computer by
using one of the following:

- Microsoft Windows 98/Windows Me startup disk
- Windows XP boot disks
- Windows XP CD-ROM

For additional information about how to start Setup from MS-DOS or a
Windows 98/Windows Millennium Edition startup disk, click the following
article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

307848 HOW TO: Start Setup from MS-DOS in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307848

For additional information about how to obtain the Windows XP Setup boot
disks, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:

310994 Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310994

NOTE: If you want to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM, your
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive must be configured to do so. For information about
how to configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive,
please refer to the documentation that is included with your computer, or
contact the computer manufacturer.

1. Read the End-User License Agreement, and then press F8.

NOTE: If your Windows XP CD-ROM is an upgrade, you are prompted to insert a
CD-ROM of a previous operating system to check for upgrade compliance.
Remove the Windows XP CD-ROM, and then insert the CD-ROM from your previous
operating system into the CD-ROM drive. Valid qualifying media for upgrade
compliance include:

Windows 98
Windows 98 Second Edition
Windows Millennium Edition
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000 Professional

When you receive a prompt for the Windows XP CD-ROM, remove your previous
operating system CD-ROM, and then insert your Windows XP CD-ROM.

2. To install Windows XP by starting the computer from the Windows XP
CD-ROM, insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and
then restart the computer.

3. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key
to start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.

4. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to begin Windows XP Setup.

5. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition
in which to install Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.

If you require additional assistance you can refer to the complete article
316941 HOW TO: Install Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316941

Sincerely,
Jeff Wade [MS]

| From: "Stephen" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Stephen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Installing XP
| Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 06:30:51 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|

| Hi,
|
| I've had XP for a year and it has been fine. I have
| Norton so I don't think I have a virus but the software is
| corrupted. I reinstalled XP but left the directories the
| same so I could back it up.
|
| But now I get this error message when I go onto XP.
|
| error report:
|
| BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 :
| 8060AB13 BCP3 : F801F9AC
| BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0
| Product : 256_1
|

| Files that would go to Microsoft about the error report:
| C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110403-02.dmp
| C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00
| \sysdata.xml
|
| I want to install XP and wipe out all the data (since I've
| backed it up) but I don't know which "partition" to
| choose.
|
| Does anyone know which one to choose to install it from
| scratch?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Stephen

Sincerely,