    Can I install Windows XP Pro on my machine?

    Thanks,
    Dan Salmon

    Dan Salmon, Sep 13, 2003

  2. Dan Salmon

    Dan Salmon Guest

    I would like to run all 3, trying to figure out if it is possible?

    Thanks,
    Dan.

    Dan Salmon, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Dan Salmon

    Dan Salmon Guest

    Thanks Jonathan. I will try your recommendation. Will post the results.

    Dan,

    "Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > If you want to run 3 OSes (add XP) then I recommend that you not install

    it
    > on a partition that already has Windows installed. If you have free space
    > on a partitioned disk that you want to install Windows on, then you can
    > resize the partition by using BootIt Next Generation available as

    shareware

    Dan Salmon, Sep 15, 2003
  4. Greetings --

    The simplest way I've found to multi-boot between Win9x/Me, Win2K
    & WinXP would be to partition your drive roughly as follows:

    Primary Partition:
    C: FAT32 Win9x

    Extended Partition:

    1st Logical Drive D: NTFS Win2K
    2nd Logical Drive E: NTFS WinXP

    Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
    size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
    applications.

    Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
    disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
    utilities/boot managers and their frequent complications.) You need
    only format the Win9x partition at this time, the Win2K/XP
    installations can format their own respective partitions as part of
    their setup routines.

    Install Win9x first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" when asked
    for the default Windows directory. When you subsequently install
    Win2K/XP, be sure to specify "D:\Winnt" and D:\Windows," as
    preferred/applicable) when asked for the default Windows directory, to
    place them on the other partitions. The Win2K/XP installation routines
    will automatically set up the Multi-boot menu for you. The default
    settings for this menu can be readily edited from within Win2K/XP.

    This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
    placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either
    of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
    second and/or third operating system(s) on the second hard drive. Just
    remember to keep each OS in its own partition.

    It is also possible to have a 4th partition for shared
    applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
    formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
    also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
    placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
    program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
    however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
    such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
    uninstall it from the second/third OS, having already deleted crucial
    installation data during the first uninstall action.

    Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/management/mltiboot.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

    Bruce Chambers

    --