Installing fax component from add or remove programs

VC

I am running Windows XP, installed from a CD on my IBM Thinkpad and
now want to install the fax service. When I go to Add or Remove
Programs > Add/Remove windows components, I get this message:
"The installation library for component fax could not be initialized"

I've seen other users post the same error but no resolutions (or none
work!). Here are the details of my setup:
Windows XP Professional Version 5.1 (Service Pack 1) with all windows
update
Hardware:
IBM Thinkpad T22
Modem: Lucent Win Modem

Please help if you can.
Thank you.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

If your installation of Windows XP was from a CD, you should be prompted to
insert the CD and may need to browse to the i386 Folder so the installation
routine can find the necessary files. If your installation files are on the
hard drive, you may need to direct the routine to the i386 Folder there. If
you have applied SP1, these files may have been moved to a different folder
(ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the routine to that
folder.

VC

Windows XP was installed from a CD. However, the Service Pack was
installed from a different CD which I had downloaded from the net and
burned to the disc. I don't get prompted for the CD or to browse for
any files although a screen does quickly come up and go away but it is
so fast that I can't tell what it's trying to look for.. and then the
message regarding the Unable to Initialize fax component.

The SP1 files are on the hard disk under the ServicePackFiles\i386.
Any other ideas?

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

VC said:
I am running Windows XP, installed from a CD on my IBM Thinkpad and
now want to install the fax service. When I go to Add or Remove
Programs > Add/Remove windows components, I get this message:
"The installation library for component fax could not be initialized"

I've seen other users post the same error but no resolutions (or none
work!). Here are the details of my setup:
Windows XP Professional Version 5.1 (Service Pack 1) with all windows
update
Hardware:
IBM Thinkpad T22
Modem: Lucent Win Modem

Please help if you can.
Thank you.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Nope. I've posted all I know.
Your modem doesn't look like it would be compatible, however. Did you check
for its presence on the HCL?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]