    found?
    --
    R.B.

    Guest, Jun 17, 2006

    DL Guest

    Perhaps you need to use the F6 option, early in the installation, to install
    third party drivers, eg sata/raid, from floppy

    "R.B.Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > I have just bought a Fujitsu CE50S7 Desktop with a Japanese version

    Windows
    > XP pre-installed. I tried to install my English version of Windows XP by
    > booting from the CD, but I got a message stating that the hard drive

    couldn't
    > be found, and aborted the setup. What can I do to make sure the hard drive

    is

    DL, Jun 17, 2006

    Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    I tried the F6 key, but got the same result
    --
    R.B.

    Guest, Jun 17, 2006
  4. R.B.Bailey wrote:
    > I have just bought a Fujitsu CE50S7 Desktop with a Japanese version Windows
    > XP pre-installed. I tried to install my English version of Windows XP by
    > booting from the CD, but I got a message stating that the hard drive couldn't
    > be found, and aborted the setup. What can I do to make sure the hard drive is
    > found?

    Very early in the boot process, just after having booted from the WinXP
    CD, the screen will display the words to the effect: "Setup is examining
    your system." Press <F6> when this happens, and have the
    *manufacturer's* WinXP-specific English drivers for your SATA, IDE, or
    RAID controller available on a floppy disk.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 17, 2006

    Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    i would fdisk that drive and reformat it with the "AMERICAN" file system.
    you simply do not know what you have.............

    Guest, Jun 17, 2006

    Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    have you tried running windows setup from the desktop...?

    Guest, Jun 17, 2006
  7. Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    databaseben wrote:
    > i would fdisk that drive and reformat it with the "AMERICAN" file system.
    > you simply do not know what you have.............

    You're kidding, right? "American file system?"

    And, fyi, FDisk is an old MS-DOS utility that is neither available or
    needed in WinXP. All legitimate WinXP installation CDs are bootable and
    have the capability of deleting, creating, and formatting partitions.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 17, 2006
  8. Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    databaseben wrote:
    > have you tried running windows setup from the desktop...?

    And just how, pray tell, would that help the OP install drivers that
    clearly don't come on the WinXP CD?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 17, 2006

    Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    when you run windows setup from within the windows desktop, setup analyzes
    the system. it just be that the setup will be able to load some of those
    files onto the harddisk to prepare and initiate an install upon reboot......
    there is a harddisk on the system but it appears that the problem is that
    only the japanese version of windows recognizes it. .....

    Guest, Jun 17, 2006

    Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    oh yeh, i almost forgot. but when you run windows setup from the desktop,
    there is also a selection that analyzes the computer to see if its windows xp
    ready. this can identify what hardware will pose a problem for the
    repair/reinstallation.

    Guest, Jun 17, 2006
  11. Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    databaseben wrote:
    > when you run windows setup from within the windows desktop, setup analyzes
    > the system.

    Assuming the same language versions, yes. That doesn't apply, in this
    case. It's not possible to "upgrade" Windows from one language to
    another; a clean installation (formatted hard drive) is the only way to go.

    Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

    >it just be that the setup will be able to load some of those
    > files onto the harddisk to prepare and initiate an install upon reboot......

    Even if there were no insurmountable language conflict, the setup
    routine can't copy files (proprietary device drivers) to the hard drive
    if it doesn't have them. Upon restart, the OP would be faced with an
    unbootable condition.

    > there is a harddisk on the system but it appears that the problem is that
    > only the japanese version of windows recognizes it. .....

    Because the computer manufacturer included the necessary IDE/SATA/RAID
    controller drivers in its OEM version of Windows. No other WinXP CD is
    going to have those specific, proprietary drivers built-in. They have
    to be installed separately, early in the hardware identification process.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 17, 2006

    Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    I tried to set it up from the desktop, but I recieved a message (written in
    kanji). My version of Windows is 3 years old; do you think that because it
    doesn't include service pack 2, that it won't install? Because on my laptop,
    the age of it's Japanese Windows and my Windows are the same, and both
    contain no service pack 2.
    --
    R.B.

    Guest, Jun 18, 2006

    Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    I translated the the text i the message box that I recieved when trying to
    install the XP; my version is older than that on the comp, so now how can I
    update my CD, or do I have to buy a newer version altogether?
    --
    R.B.

    Guest, Jun 18, 2006

    Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    kanji? well the xp has been a standard o.s. for a while and the sp2 is the
    latest revision that is avail for free from the windows site. it might be
    cheaper to buy a hard drve for 40 bucks or so and install your windows on to
    it. the downloads all of those updates from windows update site. i doubt
    that buying the winxp sp2 version will have any of those special drivers
    required to run that particular harddrive as mentioned earlier..... have you
    tried doing a runn>cmd and then set up from that cd drive. supposedly the
    windows of different languages are incompatiable. but maybe if you can
    initiate an install, you will have the option the set the language to us
    english....

    Guest, Jun 18, 2006

    Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    How do you do a runn>cmd? I've tried the F12 function when I started up the
    computer, then booted from the CD..but it still couldn't find the disk.
    --
    R.B.

    Guest, Jun 18, 2006

    Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    at the desktop you can use run and open the cmd window and run setup.exe that
    is located on the cd drive. but you may as well try to give up as it might
    be cheaper getting a compatiable harddrive and install win onto it..... if
    you are committed with installing win onto the current harddrive and if you
    have those drivers mentioned earlier, eg rad, etc., windows will let you
    install them before proceeding with the install. at the beginning of the
    install, windows will pause and you can insert the disks that came with your
    motherboard or for the harddisk. but it sounds like you maybe don't have
    them.....

    Guest, Jun 18, 2006

    Re: Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese compute

    A local computer shop told me that I need to install drivers for my ata-type
    hard drive. Where can I find the software, and should I try to install it
    myself?
    --
    R.B.

    Guest, Jun 20, 2006