Installing dual boot Win2K on a Win XP laptop

G

Hi all,

I have just bought a new laptop that comes with Win XP home installed. I would like to add Win 2K Pro to a 2nd partition but I cannot simply install Win2K because XP won't allow me (2K is older than XP). I've searched the KB and all tells me to first install 2K, then XP, but that's not possible in my case.

Any suggestions?

Can I simply install Win2K by booting from the CD drive, then manually correct the boot.ini file in the system volume to create the dual boot message? (If yes, can someone give me a quick summary of the parameters used in the boot.ini file? Haven't been doing admin stuff for so long... completely forgot about everything!)

Thanks!

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How do I install Windows 2000 after I've installed Windows XP?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hi all,
|
| I have just bought a new laptop that comes with Win XP home installed. I would like to add Win 2K Pro to a
2nd partition but I cannot simply install Win2K because XP won't allow me (2K is older than XP). I've
searched the KB and all tells me to first install 2K, then XP, but that's not possible in my case.
|
| Any suggestions?
|
| Can I simply install Win2K by booting from the CD drive, then manually correct the boot.ini file in the
system volume to create the dual boot message? (If yes, can someone give me a quick summary of the parameters
used in the boot.ini file? Haven't been doing admin stuff for so long... completely forgot about everything!)
|
| Thanks!

Ask a Question