From: <mcooper06@the_big_YAHOO_in_the_SKY.com>
Subject: Installer Error
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:14:33 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.msi

Each time my Win2K SP2 server attempts to access the MSI,
I get an error that just says "Unexpected Error". I am
using MSI 1.11.x.x. I realize that there is a 2.0, but I
cannot get it installed either.

I have unregistered the msiexec, which is does. However,
when I try to install 2.0, I get the same error and
suddenly the 1.11.xx service is registered again. Is this
a function of Windows File Protection putting it back in?

I cannot manually delete the msiexec file as Windows File
Protection puts it right back in.

This server is running Citrix and Terminal Services.
--

Since you are still on MSI 1.1 you can try the following. Once you have unregistered MSI by running "msiexec /unregister"
from a Command Prompt, try renaming the files MSI.DLL, MSIEXEC.EXE and MSIHND.DLL from the same Command

If this still does not work you can boot the system to Safe Mode after having unregistered MSI. Once in Safe Mode you
need to delete the three files listed above, I'd make copies of them somewhere just in case, from %systemroot%
\system32\dllcache and %systemroot%\system32. Once this is done reboot into Normal Mode and then try to install
Windows Installer 2.0

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Bill - Thanks for your help. Status Update.

Could not delete files under Windows, rebooted to Safe
Mode after unregistering Installer service. Deleted all
three files under dllcache directory. Copied all three
files to temp directory from system32 directory. Deleted
msiexec.exe and msihnd.dll from directory. Attempted to
delete msi.dll file and received permissions error.
Checked permissions and local administrator has full
control and is owner of file.

O/S allowed me to rename file from msi.dll to msi.old.
O/S allowed me to move file from system32 directory also
but will not let me delete file (??).

Rebooted machine in normal mode. Attempted Installer
version 2.0 installation with exact same "Unexpected
error" message. I thought I might need to install
Installer 2.0 under Add/remove programs since it's
running terminal server. When I launch Add/Remove
Control Panel, I get error stating that msi.dll cannot be
found and control panel has no functionality. I had
previously extracted all files from 2.0 installation into
a temp directory. I copied Version 2.0 msiexec.exe,
msihnd.dll and msi.dll files into system32 directory.

Attempted Version 2.0 installation again with same
results. However, when I open add/remove control panel
it opens normally.

Am considering now trying to update to Service Pack 4
with this "Installer" service which seems to be running.
What do you think? Should I copy in any other files from
the extracted 2.0 install as sort of a manual 2.0
installation?

Thanks again,

Mike.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Installer Error
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:18:20 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.msi

[...]

After you copied the three Windows Installer 2.0 files to the System32 folder did you run "msiexec.exe /regserver" to
register the new files? If not give that a try and then see what happens, because at this point you basically have done a
manual install of Windows Installer 2.0.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Bill -

When I attempted to run the MSI 2.0 installation and got
the same error "Unexpected Error" I checked the Installer
Service and it had registered itself.

What about the other files installed with the 2.0
install - msimsg.dll and msisip.dll? I checked the
msisip.dll and it is version 2.x. The msimsg.dll however
is still version 1.11.2405. It is being protected by
WFP. Should I go into Safe Mode again and replace this
file as well?

Thanks again,

Michael.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:42:39 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.msi

Bill -

When I attempted to run the MSI 2.0 installation and got
the same error "Unexpected Error" I checked the Installer
Service and it had registered itself.

What about the other files installed with the 2.0
install - msimsg.dll and msisip.dll? I checked the
msisip.dll and it is version 2.x. The msimsg.dll however
is still version 1.11.2405. It is being protected by
WFP. Should I go into Safe Mode again and replace this
file as well?

Thanks again,

Michael.
--

Michael,

The Msimsg.dll stores the error messages for Windows Installer. There should not be an issue with Windows Installer not
working correctly with the older version of this file but the error messages that Windows Installer gives may have more
detail with the newer version of the file. Since I'm not sure how much these messages changed between versions 1.x and
2.0 I would suggest replacing the file with the 2.0 version.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Bill -

I think I have discovered the problem. I checked the
msi.dll file and it is still of version 1.11.2405. From a
dos prompt in safe mode I can rename it and the command
appears to work, but after reviewing the version number it
has not actually changed.

From Explorer, even in safe mode, if I try to rename or
delete it, I get a windows error that the file is in use.

Any ideas? chkdsk in safe mode? what processes can I shut
down even in safe mode that might be using the file?

Mike.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:24:23 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.msi

Bill -

I think I have discovered the problem. I checked the
msi.dll file and it is still of version 1.11.2405. From a
dos prompt in safe mode I can rename it and the command
appears to work, but after reviewing the version number it
has not actually changed.

From Explorer, even in safe mode, if I try to rename or
delete it, I get a windows error that the file is in use.

Any ideas? chkdsk in safe mode? what processes can I shut
down even in safe mode that might be using the file?

Mike.
--

Mike,

I'm not sure why the file is saying it is in use in Safe Mode, for one the Windows Installer service does not load in Safe
Mode and second we should have nothing referencing it after the Windows Installer engine is unregistered. Try deleting it
from the Dllcache folder, then rename it in the System32 folder, put the 2.0 version of the file in the Dllcache folder and then
reboot into Normal Mode. Once up check to see if the file is in System32 and if it is what version it is.