Installed my win 98 disk into my XP machine - have I broken it?

(e-mail address removed)
Jan 7, 11:34 am show options

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
From: (e-mail address removed) - Find messages by this author
Date: 7 Jan 2006 03:34:30 -0800
Subject: Help - I Installed a windows 98 HDD into an XP machine and it
doesnt work anymore
original | Report Abuse

I am trying to transfer the contents of my HDD from an old win 98
machine to my new XP machine.

I have taken the disk out of the 98 machine, changed the jumpers to
slave and then installed it into the XP machine, hoping to be able to
see the old drive from the XP machine.

Although the drive did apear in XP, it was called a "recovery drive",
and the files I was looking for were not there (even though 3 GB of
data was shown as used).

I then removed the disk and put it back into the windows 98 machine,
but it will now not work in there either. Could the XP machine have
changed the windows 98 disk in some way to render the data
irrecoverable on either machine?

Malke

I am trying to transfer the contents of my HDD from an old win 98
machine to my new XP machine.
I have taken the disk out of the 98 machine, changed the jumpers to
slave and then installed it into the XP machine, hoping to be able to
see the old drive from the XP machine.

Although the drive did apear in XP, it was called a "recovery drive",
and the files I was looking for were not there (even though 3 GB of
data was shown as used).

I then removed the disk and put it back into the windows 98 machine,
but it will now not work in there either. Could the XP machine have
changed the windows 98 disk in some way to render the data
irrecoverable on either machine?

First, unless you did anything but just look at the drive under XP,
nothing would have been changed on the Win98 hard drive. The 3GB you
saw sound like the Win98 OEM's recovery partition - you probably had an
HP, Compaq, Gateway or the like.

I don't know why you didn't see the system/data partition on your old
hard drive or why it will not work there either. It sounds as thought
the drive itself - or its partition table - was damaged. You should
probably take it to a professional computer repair shop (not your local
version of BigStoreUSA) and let them take a look at it. I'm not saying
this to hurt your feelings.

Malke