Installed fonts takes precedence over embedded font.

J

John P Strupp

We are using MathType equation editor which uses the font MTEXTRA
to generate equations for a powerpoint2003 presentation.

When I open the presentaion on another windowsXP system without the MathType application
installed but that does have an older verision of the MTEXTRA font installed,
the older version (3.01) is used instead of the embedded MTEXTRA new version (4.30).
So of course I could just install the new version, but what I fear is someday at
some conference there won't be the option of installing a new font. So is there anyway
to force use of the embedded font instead of the installed font?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-------------------------------------------------------------
John P. Strupp | Center for Magnetic Resonance Research
(e-mail address removed) | University of Minnesota Medical School
Voice: (612)626-0361 | 2021 Sixth Street SE
FAX: (612)626-2004 | Minneapolis, MN 55455
-------------------------------------------------------------

S

Steve Rindsberg

We are using MathType equation editor which uses the font MTEXTRA
to generate equations for a powerpoint2003 presentation.

When I open the presentaion on another windowsXP system without the MathType application
installed but that does have an older verision of the MTEXTRA font installed,
the older version (3.01) is used instead of the embedded MTEXTRA new version (4.30).
So of course I could just install the new version, but what I fear is someday at
some conference there won't be the option of installing a new font. So is there anyway
to force use of the embedded font instead of the installed font?

I've never read/heard any suggestion that Windows is aware of font versions when it
answers font requests from apps. The app asks for MTExtra, Windows rummages around in the
Big Closet 'o Fonts and triumphantly holds the first one it finds aloft. "Got that!"

PowerPoint apparently requests the font from Windows first then uses the embedded font if
a local copy isn't found.

So if you can't install a specific font, perhaps you can uninstall or disable (rename the
TTF file?) the one that IS installed, which'd probably force PPT to use the embedded font.

There are also font editing programs (Fontographer is one, there are others) that 'd allow
you to create a new copy of the font under a different name. Since Windows goes by the
name, if you embedded MYExtra instead of MTExtra, you'd likely be set.

I wouldn't run out and buy a font editor based on this prediction, though. <g>
See if you can get someone who has the program to do it for you, at least as a test.