installation help

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to connect a computer to the internet. The computer used to connect via a USB cable modem 351000.

when i am using the ISP CD to connect it comes up with an error stating that the usb modem is faulty.

The Usb modem will not be used now as i am trying to connect via ethernet (as this computer is).

I have tried to remove it PC management but the computer says that it cant delete as it may be part of the boot up process.

The actual USB modem has vanished so i can't connect it any try and remove that way.

Also i do not have the cd that it came with to remove that way.

I'm really stuck and do not know what to do...

any ideas are greatly welcomed

Reaction score
ento said:

uninstall every thing NTL. reboot the pc> insert the disc and follow the instructions DONT use USB use Ethernet only> if you have a problem phone them it is a local charge call> it could well be a faulty modem.

Reaction score
itsme,

thanks for the reply... i have uninstalled everything ntl i could find. I know its not a faulty modem, becasue i'm using the same cable & ntl modem to get online with now. i'm just swapping computers.....

the full details of the error along with the extra details are copied below.... any further ideas or will i have to wail until i can contact ntl?

thanks alot!

A faulty or non-functional adapter has been found. Please remove the following malfunctioning adapters before continuing with installation. If this is a USB NIC that has been removed, please physically plug it back in:

USB Cable Modem 351000
USB Cable Modem 351000
USB Cable Modem 351000
Click the 'Fix' button to correct this problem.

Error Code :23

==================Details====================

---- OPERATING SYSTEM ----
Windows XP, Build 2600

---- CPU ----
2538 Mhz
GenuineIntel
x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4

---- RAM ----
512 MB

---- TCP/IP SETTINGS ----
Num NICs = 4
NIC 1:
USB Cable Modem 351000
Bound to TCP/IP = yes
Enabled = yes
Properly Functioning = no
IP Address supplied by DHCP.
Static DNS disabled. DNS servers supplied by DHCP.

NIC 2:
USB Cable Modem 351000
Bound to TCP/IP = yes
Enabled = yes

NIC 3:
USB Cable Modem 351000
Bound to TCP/IP = yes
Enabled = yes

NIC 4:
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Bound to TCP/IP = yes
Enabled = yes
Properly Functioning = yes

---- DRIVE INFO ----
System Drive = C
Drive A = FLOPPY DRIVE
Drive C = HARD DRIVE5807 MB free out of 38189 MB total
Drive D = CDROM DRIVE
Drive E = CDROM DRIVE

---- IRQ INFO ----
irq 0 is taken
irq 1 is taken
irq 2 is free
irq 3 is free
irq 4 is taken
irq 5 is taken
irq 6 is taken
irq 7 is taken
irq 8 is taken
irq 9 is taken
irq 10 is taken
irq 11 is free
irq 12 is taken
irq 13 is free
irq 14 is taken
irq 15 is taken

---- USB AVAILABILITY ----
USB Available

---- INTERNET APPLICATIONS ----
Internet Explorer Installed, version = 6.0.2900.2180
Outlook Installed, version = 9.0
Outlook Express Installed
Netscape Not Installed

Reaction score
ento said:
Hello,

I am trying to connect a computer to the internet. The computer used to connect via a USB cable modem 351000.

when i am using the ISP CD to connect it comes up with an error stating that the usb modem is faulty.

The Usb modem will not be used now as i am trying to connect via ethernet (as this computer is).

I have tried to remove it PC management but the computer says that it cant delete as it may be part of the boot up process.

The actual USB modem has vanished so i can't connect it any try and remove that way.

I'm really stuck and do not know what to do...

any ideas are greatly welcomed

:confused:

Do you have the CD or not?? you have to have a modem or it wont work? a modem has a USB and Ethernet slot?:nod:

Reaction score
Your modem has a USB slot and Ethernet OK, use the Ethernet NOT the USB

uninstall via remove programs> reboot the pc> insert the disc ONLY use the Ethernet cable at the start of instalation it will ask you USB or Ethernet chose Ethernet Dont plug anything in untill it asks> make sure the line is live IE leave the other PC online then take the cables out as required.

Reaction score
sorry for the confusion.... i will try and rectify....

The computer i am having problems with is my sisters, who has now moved and given the computer to my mum.

my mum has ntl broadband and that is what i have currently hooked up to the interet with (via my computer which i have brought to try and find help via the internet). The broadband comes through to the ntl modem then via an ethernet cable from the modem to the computer.

My sister - when she orignally had the computer connected via a usb - presumably the problem am having now - which she no longer has, nor has the cd for it.

i have the ntl installation cd - which i was trying to install so that the computer hookes up the same way as it is connected with the internet now.

and it gave me that error i posted before....

does that help at all??

cheers

Reaction score
Ok do this go to Start> settings>network conections tell me whats in there

Reaction score
Bound to TCP/IP = yes
Enabled = yes

This is what you need to use....;)

Reaction score
LAN connection
LAN or high speed internet
(limited or no connectibility) firewalled
realtek RTL8139 family PCI fast ethernet NIC

the limited or no connectibility is when the ethernet cable is plugged in. but when that same cable is in this computer its fine?

just got the second message.... if there is an ethernet slot would that constitute having a card on-board?

Reaction score
ento said:
LAN connection
LAN or high speed internet
(limited or no connectibility) firewalled
realtek RTL8139 family PCI fast ethernet NIC

the limited or no connectibility is when the ethernet cable is plugged in. but when that same cable is in this computer its fine?

just got the second message.... if there is an ethernet slot would that constitute having a card on-board?

Yes and it is working as you can see
Bound to TCP/IP = yes
Enabled = yes

In the network connections DISABLE the USB and enable/repair the Ethernet

let windows detect ISP, I wish I had the PC in front of me:D

Reaction score
i'm trying to use the ethernet slot but i get limited or no conectibility? but its fine... becasue it works on my comptuer not my mums - this is driving me insane! i've even tried disabling the usb devises in pc management but they still are causing problems?

Reaction score
I use NTL and never get a problem> I build PCs plug in and away to go no set up just straight online NTL are the best you should not be having these problems. Now if you have the XP disc? reinstall the OS do a full format and it will work, as I have found in the past you cant get rid of some things without a fresh install unless you know what to do;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Gentlemen, slow down ...

ento, can you please tell me what this PC is, who made it? is it a 'branded' PC?

Have you looked in ... Add Remove Programs ... remove anything to do with NTL and the Modem

Lets first see if we can "clean" the PC of old drivers that may be interfering before going down the road of a re-install of the OS

;)

Reaction score
ok, ok, ok..... i'm so happy right now... i've managed to crack it after 4hours!!!!! thank you itsme for all your help...and thank you muckshifter becasue had i not cracked it moments ago i would not have wanted to really format the computer!! but hey its done...

so what i did/.... I deleted the LAN settings, closed the computer, reset the modem, turned both of them back on. set up a new LAN settings. then did the same again turning them off...

After that repaired the connection, reset again. (then i had some cheese on toast) and screamed at the pc... low an behold... we had lift off! i have no idea why this worked but it must of triggered something,... there was ntl settings or programs on the computer nor in the add remove programs but the home page for the internet was ntlworld....

..anyway i'm not complaining... it's over.

Thanks again for your help!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Job sorted ... :thumb:

I was just wondering what to have for lunch too ... cheese on toast will do me ... I have a very nice Lancashire & I think some Worcestershire sauce will make it even better. ;)

Ask a Question