Ink problem - Canon IP 4000

measekite

Howard wrote:

Thanks, I'll try the paperclip. I've already bought the ink from Hobbicolors and bought the resetter from Germany. I haven't used the printer very much yet, maybe 20 4x6 pictures, an 8x10 and a few regular printed pages. I don't know how long the OEM cartridges last for. I'm all set for when the first cartridge runs out.

I have been refilling Canon chipped CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges for a couple of years now. The system that has worked well for me is

Nobody makes even a facsimile  of CLI-8 ink since it is new and Canon has patents on it.

1. Using a 3/32 drill bit drill a small hole on the upper back of the cartridge just below the junction of the reservoir and the felt like material (at the upper margin of where "made in Japan" is written on the label. 2 With a 10-20ml syringe and blunt needle (available from refill ink suppliers) inject the proper ink to almost completely fill the reservoir. 3. Close the hole with a flat head 6-3/8 sheet metal screw. Screw down firm but not tight. 4. Reinstall the cartridge in the printhead. Things I have learned 1. Set screws usually provided with refill kits are not tapered and many times leak

Another reason why it is a mess.

I tried hot glue once and it was a disaster.

Like one needs a disaster to print photos

2. Rubber washers cause the screw head to sit up high enough that it occasionally jams on my ip4200.

Wow.  Sounds like that is easy

I don't find that I need them to prevent leaks.

Just let it leak.

3. OEM cartridges are usually good for 5-10 refills.

They are good to toss when they are empty

I don't know why but they start to fail (feed ink poorly) after that. I replace them with fresh cartridges after 10 refills. I use "compatible cartridges"

Compatible is just a word that is meaningless.  It has no significance and there is no such thing.

and move the chip to the new cartridge

4. I have had good luck with cartridges from Abacus and inks from Printerfillingstation. Pigment ink in the PG (for pigment) 5 cartridge. On an inkjet I run a basic head cleaning at least once every two weeks.

I never have to do that even after many years

Yes it uses ink but refilling is cheap

Sounds expensive to me.

and clogged printheads are troublesome and expensive. Since I lose "ink tank monitoring" I check the tanks regularly (it takes less than a minute). As stated earlier in this thread the Canon printhead uses the ink for cooling during operation. I am toying with the idea of purchasing a "chip reseter" on ebay.

Wonderful item in a wonderful place

The feedback on these seems good and the current price seems worthwhile to get back ink monitoring function and fax printing on MX models. When I need a new printhead (twice in 12 years)

The economic life of the printer is not that long.  When the head goes get a new printer with the latest technology

I just buy a new printer. The cost of a new printer (street price canon usa) is about 1/2 the cost of a printhead and ink tanks which come with the new printer.

And you get superior ink and the printer works like it was designed to work.

Hope this is of some help to others in dealing with the issue of cartridge refilling on Canons. Howard

The best advice is to use Canon ink in a Canon printer.

measekite

Paul Heslop wrote:

MaryT wrote:

"Paul Heslop" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Mary wrote:

I am trying the windex/alcohol now. I only put small amount of rubbing alcohol in the bowl. I will leave it for quite a few hours. Mary

It's true that some 'compatible' carts are awful. Since Printrite, or whatever they were called, bit the dust I haven't found any in the UK I'm l00% happy with. My son has an Epson though and some of the cart brands that are not good for me work fine for him. I suffered all sorts of blockages and tried the real thing out of desperation, and it was such a joy to just pop them in and they worked straight away and keep working til they run out. Having said that I do use compatible blacks, but only from one or two companies and i keep an eye on quality etc in case they change suppliers.

There would have to be an obvious decline in the ink quality before you would even know they had changed suppliers. I dont know if I would buy OEM carts, even out of desperation :D. I really begrudge as they are so expensive and sometimes don't last too long. I think I might try the compatible cartridge company mentioned by Lou . The price is cheap and if they don't work very good, I won't feel too bad. Right now, I am not using my printer. Black and yellow need replaced and magenta is stuck. I had an Epson a few years ago but the cartridges didn't last very long and were more expensive than Canon.. I finally got fed up and bought a Canon. Mary

I do understand your feeling towards the OEM stuff but it really did make a difference for me. I was at the stage where I was having to clean the heads so often I just didn't know if I'd get a good print.

OEM is the only way to go.  You just cannot listen to the cult leaders who either

lie

or whose judgment and standards  are so low they are willing to accept what they get

or they just need to rationalize their foolishness and justify their purchase.

As I print on dvd and cd too, which already have whatever is recorded on them it is a disaster of minor proportions when it goes wrong. I understand how you feel though, pricing is ridiculous. Best way to get them is in a multipack, and you may be surprised at his cheaply you can get those if you're lucky.

Burt

Mary said:
Oh OK, I didn't know you were talking about the Staples carts that are
performing ok. That would only be the cyan and small black. Magenta
doesn't
seem to be any good, the fat black cart and yellow need to be replaced.
Supposedly, the idea marketed when they first came out with 5 cartridge
sets
was you could buy one cartridge at a time, and that all the colours
wouldn't
go at one time, but I have found that they start to go pretty close to
each
other. So much for that theory.

Do I only tape over the small air hole? what about the bigger hole at the
other side, where the ink comes out when you blow in the air hole? Doesn't
it need to be taped? I guess we use different names for the same objects.
Is
a "sealed refrigerator carton" what we call a small plastic container with
lid? The only thing we call a "carton" is a carton of milk which you put
in
the refrigerator. A "baggy" I think is what we would call a Ziplock
sandwich
bag. I think you have them in the US as well. The edges at the top are
pressed together to form a seal.

Mary
Tape doesn't work too well to seal the ink outlet. Save the orange cap that
you take off of the new carts and rubberband them over the ink outlet hole
to seal. If the Abacus carts are like the OEM Canon carts, the orange cap
breaks off. Where it was attached to the cart you may see little 'bumps'.
Take a sharp knife and trim them off so they won't be in the way of
effecting a seal. Yes, what I called a refrig carton is the plastic
container with lid.

Mary

Lou said:
You are referring to the photo black cartridge I think. It is possible you
got a new bad cartridge that for some reason isn't printing right. If it
were me I would take the cartridge and recap the bottom and tape the top
vent hole and shake it up a little. I was thinking there could be air in the
cartridge or it isn't venting right.

Lou,
I will do that and maybe will help..

You had said in a previous message "The BCI 3e black is pigment ink for text
printing and is the larger cartridge. The BCI 6 black is photo ink". On a
nozzle test, the black grid at the top of the nozzle test had some breaks. I
thought the BCI 3e black was photo ink.Also, on nozzle test, 3eBK is much
blacker where it said "3eBK" at the left of the nozzle test page than the
solid line think black cart. which looks more gray than black but I think it
was always like that on nozzle tests. The BCI 6 BK is a solid line so I
thought it would be for text printing. But it had a couple of thin streaks
but was ok after a few cleanings, and the grid one is ok too. Both blacks
were not as good as they should be on nozzle test, but seem ok now, and
maybe it was because the fat black one is getting low in ink. I haven't had
much time in the past few days to study printing or the ink.
Maybe it got shook in shipping and the side of the cartridge with the bulky
material in it (whatever it is made of) pulled away from the exit hole.
I'm just guessing here. Can you look at the cartridge and make sure the
spongy material is in the proper position and close to the exit hole. Look
at one of your properly functioning cartridges and see if they look the
same. Is there ink on the spongey side of the cartridge or is the sponge
mostly white?

I just looked at the small thin black and it looks ok. I think that one is
BCI 6BK. I also looked at the fat black which I think is BCI 3e BK, and that
one has hardly any ink and the status monitor shows it as low ink, and shows
magenta as low ink too,
and yellow too. Yellow is getting low. Cyan and thin black are ok so far,
but I find when one or two go, the rest soon follow. Looks like the fat
black one gets used more in cleanings than the thin one. I did print a dozen
photos, so maybe the fat one uses more black in photos than thin black.
Also, if you blot the cartridge on a paper towel does the ink keep wicking
out of it or just make a little spot on the towel?

Well, when I press the open part of the black cart onto a paper towel, it
leaves a dark blob, same with thin black one.
I hate to even mention this but it also sounds like it could be a printhead
problem. Did you install a new or used printhead? If it was used it is
possible that all the ink wasn't completely cleaned out of it before. I'm
sure that there are other things that could cause the same symptoms but
clogging is the first thing that comes to mind. You shouldn't have to do a
cleaning everytime you want to use the printer.

The printhead I got was used from Chris but he said it was working ok
before, but there is always possibility it is the printhead, but I am not
thinking that way at the moment. I didn't do much cleaning with printhead I
got from Chris and maybe I should have. For now, I will see how it goes.

I let mine set a week at a
time or more without printing sometimes. I generally print a lot but this
summer have printed very little. I have been trying to remember to print
something that uses all colors on the ip5000 and Pro9000 every week or so. I
don't have to clean them whenever I use them to get them to print properly.

I wonder if how long a package takes to get to Canada depends on what part
of the US it is shipped from. Also the method of shipping would affect it
even using the postal service. There are different classes of mail
available. They don't call it snail mail here for no reason. I always hope
when I order something that the shipper doesn't use USPS.

I've had lots of packages sent to me from the US when buying and selling on
Ebay, though I don't do it much any more.
It doesn't matter a great deal what part of the US the package is sent from.
It usually takes 4-6 business days.Depends on plane connections I guess.
Occasionally can be delays of planes or can be delayed when package reaches
Customs at Tornoto.

Toronto is close to US/Canada border so once it gets to Canada, it doesn't
usually take long if everything is flowing along.
Abacus package was sent by Air mail by USPS, then transferred to Canada Post
at border. This is by far the best and cheapest for Canadians to get
packages. Its airmail, so comes by plane. The only other method (outside of
couriers) is economy which takes 2 - 3 weeks. No one has ever sent me a
package by economy from US as air mail is not much more money, so not worth
it. I don't know about other cities in Canada, but couriers such as UPS,
Fedex, etc. are not used much for delivering personal packages within
Toronto. UPS and Fedex are here but mainly used for businesses in the
downtown area, sending each other packages back and forth. But for getting
personal packages from the US nobody here would use a courier. Its too
expensive.When crossing a border the rules are different than if you are
sending and receiving packages within your own country. If I had a package
sent by UPS from the US it could cost me $25.00 just for UPS to do documents
to present to Canada Customs even if there is no duty or tax. But if sent
from US to Canada by USPS/Canada Post, they don't prepare Customs
documents. There is just Customs sticker on the package from sender.There is
only tax if value over $20.00 which Canada Post collects. UPS/Fedex is much
bigger in the US than it is here but for most people USPS/Canada Post, its
much cheaper. In the case of Abacus package, it was delayed somewhere. I am
not in a great hurry and don't need UPS and their expensive documents just
to fill in a few lines.:>)
I've never noticed an odd smell to any ink that I have received and I have a
real good nose for that. Mainly what I notice about some packages I receive
is the cigarette smoke that can be in the newspaper packing or boxes.
I'm not talking about ink because it is generally packaged in bubble wrap or
styro peanuts.

I've never smell cigarette smoke in packages and I don't smoke so I would
notice but it cold happen I guess.
The ink is individual cardboard yellow packages as you know. On top of the
boxes was a blown up plastic thing. The package was well done.
Sounds like the package came in contact with some room
deoderizer or something. Maybe that happened during shipping that another
package could have had a bottle of something that leaked. If you order from
Abacus again and it has the same smell that would probably be the only way
to tell where the smell originated from.

I got curious and emailed Abacus. The girl who replied was very nice. I
described the strong smell and asked her if she knew what it was. I wasn't
complaining. I said my curiosity got the best of me and even the postman
noticed it, and she said what I briefly had thought myself and could be
because of delay in getting from Phoenix to Toronto, that their ink can have
a strong smell as I described. Aso she said its very hot in summer and I
also said yes, and having lots of packages all together in the plane would
be hot too and she agreed. Also, its summer so maybe there was a delay in
plane leaving Phoenix, or maybe a delay in getting packages off the plane.
She said they are in Phoenix and was saying how hot it was, and I said I
noticed when the weather is on TV. So there are lots of variables. She
seemed to be familiar with what I said and had heard the same thing before
especially when its hot weather everywhere (its hot here too),combined with
the time it took for me to get the package. Maybe I should order in winter
:)
Thanks for your comments. BTW, what state are you from?

Mary

Lou

Mary said:
[...]

The bigger cartridge BCI 3e is supposed to be pigment ink and used for text
printing, but under certain circumstances even text will be printed by a
composite color mixture or photo black. I know I do a lot of desktop
publishing and if I set the print driver for photo paper matte or high
resolution paper which I use quite a bit, the text doesn't seem to be
printed with the pigment ink. But a plain text page printed in grayscale
with the driver set to plain paper will use just the pigment ink. I don't
understand why the printer driver can't see that I am doing a "mixed" page
and adjust accordingly, but it doesn't.

When I do a nozzle check on the IP5000 it doesn't tell me what cartridge is
being used. I look at the page and I can tell if blue, magenta, or yellow
is skipping but it doesn't give me the cartridge name beside the nozzles
checked. The black grid at the top is the pigment black. If I want to do a
nozzle cleaning I can choose whether to clean all colors, just the colors,
or the black pigment only. I assumed that the IP4000 was the same. I keep my
printer turned off except when in use and it whirs through a cleaning cycle
or something when I turn it on.

You said that Abacus ink is a little less vibrant than Staples. I assume
that you do know that you can set the intensity under the manual settings on
your print driver, or even the individual colors. If you have a color you
feel that is weak you can choose manual and set the intensity higher or you
can add or subtract from the colors individually. I do that sometimes if I
feel like the color cast is off. I may print out a photo or whatever I'm
working on with cheap paper just to see how it looks, then I print it at a
better quality setting on a more expensive paper. Even the same thing
printed on different papers has a different color hue sometimes. Sometimes
the plain paper setting even works better when using matte photo paper
depending on if I am trying to print graphics on my page or if I am printing
pictures. Of course I'm not concerned with the cost of the ink because the
ink cost is cheap to me so I play with the settings to get the results I
want. You just have to play around with paper and color settings. Then you
can add that profile, name it, and retrieve it again when you want to use
it.

After I set the paper choice I go into the settings and choose the best
setting available for that paper like with photo paper pro I think the
default is setting 3 and I move it up to setting 1. Photo paper plus the
high setting is only 2 so I can only move it up that high, but it's
automatically set lower than that. I don't really like "auto" setting. I
use manual most of the time. You need to play with your manual settings
some to get the hue and intensity you want.

I notice that there is a reddish cast on my Pro 9000 if I print pictures
from my camera, but if I print a scanned picture the reddish cast isn't
there so I am trying to learn the proper settings to adjust in the printer
driver. On the IP5000 I need to do just the opposite and warm the pictures
up a little. I looked at the camera and couldn't see anything in the menu
on it to make the adjustment so it has to be through the printer driver. I
have a Canon 9950 (I think from memory that is right) scanner and Canon
printers but my main camera is not a Canon so maybe that has something to do
with it. I don't have the monitor calibrated except through PSP which I use
as my photo editor. Generally my pictures on the IP5000 print pretty close
to what I want.

I definitely receive packages with cigarette smoke smell. I buy lots of
items from EBAY and some of the sellers use boxes or packaging that have
been stored around their house. We don't smoke either and if my husband
even walks out of a store and gets in the car I can smell if they have been
smoking in the store. I just assumed that your package came in contact with
another package that had leaked a smell into it.

You asked what part of the US I live in. Well right in the midwest as I
live in Iowa. In Iowa it seems to be either extremely hot or extremely cold
and where I'm at extremely dry or extremley wet. They always say about Iowa
if you don't like the weather to stick around a day and it will change. I'm
not familiar with Canada except we used to go there fishing several years
ago on the Red River. Now I would like to go to Ontario and hunt ancestors
which has nothing to do with this printing forum.

I receive more packages through UPS or Fedex than through the USPS. In fact
USPS seems slower than the other services and not as easy to track on line.
Your delivery system sounds complicated. My UPS delivery man just leaves my
package sitting by my door and if it is raining he puts it in a plastic bag
first. The Fedex man leaves it by the porch door and leaves a note on the
front door that I have a package. Sometimes I have even found our packages
sitting in the car if the doors aren't locked. Of course the same people
deliver all the time and know that this is OK with us. My son's girlfriend
lives 25 miles away and she can't believe that we don't have to be here to
accept delivery.

If you find you don't care for Abacus ink, then read some of the forums and
see what others recommend. Choose a highly recommened brand. From what I
have found the same suggestions turn up frequently. I still prefer
refilling because I know that I am getting black pigment ink instead of just
photo black for my text printing. I think a lot of the aftermarket ink
cartridge sellers use photo ink in the larger BCI 3e cartridges instead of
the more expensive pigment ink. You kind of have to read the fine print.

Hope some of this helps instead of confusing you further. There is an old
saying about the blind leading the blind and that is probably what I am
doing right now. I'm searching for the words that "techie" people use and
they just don't come to me.

measekite

Maybe it is like gas where they change the formula during the year. If
the ink does not smell in the winter than it makes sense to get a big
spooler and do all of the printing in the winter. Go on summer vacation.
[...]

Since I have read test reports that Staples generic ink is crap then
this must be worse than crap.
I assume
that you do know that you can set the intensity under the manual settings on
your print driver, or even the individual colors. If you have a color you
feel that is weak you can choose manual and set the intensity higher or you
can add or subtract from the colors individually. I do that sometimes if I
feel like the color cast is off.

What do you expect when you do not use recommended supplies that the
device was designed for.
I may print out a photo or whatever I'm
working on with cheap paper just to see how it looks,

Thats makes sense. It makes sense to match crapo paper with crapo ink.
then I print it at a
better quality setting on a more expensive paper.
Then you may get somewhat better results using better paper with crapo ink.

In both cases you can watch it fade.
Even the same thing
printed on different papers has a different color hue sometimes. Sometimes
the plain paper setting even works better when using matte photo paper

Not really. If you use quality ink and quality matte paper the results
look better using the setting the printer was designed for; especially
if there is a profile for it.
depending on if I am trying to print graphics on my page or if I am printing
pictures. Of course I'm not concerned with the cost of the ink because the
ink cost is cheap to me so I play with the settings to get the results I
want. You just have to play around with paper and color settings. Then you
can add that profile, name it, and retrieve it again when you want to use
it.

After I set the paper choice I go into the settings and choose the best
setting available for that paper like with photo paper pro I think the
default is setting 3 and I move it up to setting 1.

It is a waste of money to use photo paper pro by Canon and not use the
recommended Canon ink.
Photo paper plus the
high setting is only 2 so I can only move it up that high, but it's
automatically set lower than that. I don't really like "auto" setting. I
use manual most of the time. You need to play with your manual settings
some to get the hue and intensity you want.

I notice that there is a reddish cast on my Pro 9000

Why would one use a great printer and good paper and get lousy results
just to save pennies on ink.
[...]

Why not go to the Canon site and look up your printer and use what they
recommend.
Choose a highly recommened brand. From what I
have found the same suggestions turn up frequently. I still prefer
refilling because I know that I am getting black pigment ink instead of just
photo black for my text printing.

You never know what you are getting because the aftermarket vendor
refuse to tell you.

Mary

Lou said:
"Mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<snipped:

I snipped a lot of stuff quoted from my last long message. I hope you don't
need it. I will just reply to your last comments.
[...]

If I am doing a nozzle test for all colours, at the top is the black grid
pattern at the left of it is longer black lines with 3eBK in the middle. The
black lines at the left of each colour has shorter black verticall lines
because they are only one line, such as blue horizontal line and at left of
each solid colour line it says 6C for Cyan for example or 6M for magenta,
etc.
Today it said the big black cart was empty, so I put that in the printer,
and printed the nozzle test for all colours (I could have just done the big
black test I guess). Then I did a nozzle test, but when I did that, the
yellow cart. showed light gray. I did a cleaning twice, and the yellow was
yellow. I mainly have been printing some photos since I got Abacus ink, and
photo printing takes more ink than regular black test with some colours on a
page of paper.
You said that Abacus ink is a little less vibrant than Staples. I assume
that you do know that you can set the intensity under the manual settings on
your print driver, or even the individual colors. If you have a color you
feel that is weak you can choose manual and set the intensity higher or you
can add or subtract from the colors individually.

Yes, I know about that, but I find that it takes fiddling and the next time
has to be changed to something else. I use Irfanview photo editor/printing,
and adjust colours, gamma, sharpness in there. Its a good program for my
needs and I am used to the settings and can usually get the colour vibrancy
I want. I guess I meant about Abacus was not as vibrant in the default modes
I usually use with Irfanview.
I do that sometimes if I
feel like the color cast is off. I may print out a photo or whatever I'm
working on with cheap paper just to see how it looks, then I print it at a
better quality setting on a more expensive paper.

I sometimes do that, sometimes now. photo printing takes a lot of ink. I am
not using the best quality photo paper right now as the kind I used seems to
be discontinued, though I have to find out. I like the semi gloss photo
paper. I do not like glossy or matte. But they are easier to find than semi
gloss. The kind I was using was Kodak and was double sided so was handy if a
photo didn'g print good colours, I could then use the bottom of the photo
paper or turn it over to the other side. So for now, I bought some everyday
photo paper which is semi gloss but only one side can be used to print
photos.
Even the same thing
printed on different papers has a different color hue sometimes. Sometimes
the plain paper setting even works better when using matte photo paper
depending on if I am trying to print graphics on my page or if I am printing
pictures.

I sometimes just use plain paper setting for semi gloss and it works fine.
For plain paper, I never need to change the colours. Its not that important
to have great colours on plain paper just to print out some information. But
its important in photo printing. I do not always do a lot of photo printing,
just happens that I took some photos a little while back and just getting
around to printing them. I should try Walmart photo machines, but they are
busy a lot of the time and its just more convenient at home - more expensive
though to use your own ink all the time.
Of course I'm not concerned with the cost of the ink because the
ink cost is cheap to me so I play with the settings to get the results I
want. You just have to play around with paper and color settings. Then you
can add that profile, name it, and retrieve it again when you want to use
it.

I do not use colour profiles. Most times in Irfanview to print photos, I may
have to do a test for some photos as the picture may look ok on my LCD, but
when I print it, the colours are too pale, so I have to darken the picture
in Irfanview to get it right. Since I know that can happen, I usually darken
the picture before I print it. My computer monitor and what it shows in
Irfanview or any other photo editing, is not the same.
After I set the paper choice I go into the settings and choose the best
setting available for that paper like with photo paper pro I think the
default is setting 3 and I move it up to setting 1. Photo paper plus the
high setting is only 2 so I can only move it up that high, but it's
automatically set lower than that. I don't really like "auto" setting. I
use manual most of the time. You need to play with your manual settings
some to get the hue and intensity you want.

I sometimes choose plain paper for my photos and sometimes glossy. I use
semi gloss and there is no setting for it on the choices for photo printing.
I usually use auto setting. There could maybe be better settings if I tried
manual, but I usually get it right the way I've been doing even though I
might have to do a couple of tests on plain paper and waste ink, but even if
I used manual, I would still have to test a print or two, because picture on
my monitor is always lighter than it is when photo is printed.
I notice that there is a reddish cast on my Pro 9000 if I print pictures
from my camera, but if I print a scanned picture the reddish cast isn't
there so I am trying to learn the proper settings to adjust in the printer
driver. On the IP5000 I need to do just the opposite and warm the pictures
up a little.

I find that the "enhanced colours" in Irfanview is good for things like that
by using gamma, or take some of the red out using manual settings.
I looked at the camera and couldn't see anything in the menu
on it to make the adjustment so it has to be through the printer driver. I
have a Canon 9950 (I think from memory that is right) scanner and Canon
printers but my main camera is not a Canon so maybe that has something to do
with it. I don't have the monitor calibrated except through PSP which I use
as my photo editor. Generally my pictures on the IP5000 print pretty close
to what I want.

I don't know what kind of camera you have, but I have a Sony W55, and its
more or less automatic and there are no settings for colour. So colours have
to be adjusted in your photo editor. I have a Canon scanner too, but that
doesn't become involved in photo printing unless you scan a photo and make
it into a jpg.
I definitely receive packages with cigarette smoke smell. I buy lots of
items from EBAY and some of the sellers use boxes or packaging that have
been stored around their house. We don't smoke either and if my husband
even walks out of a store and gets in the car I can smell if they have been
smoking in the store. I just assumed that your package came in contact with
another package that had leaked a smell into it.

I think its just the smell of the ink in the package I got from the fairly
long transit and the hot weather. I have bought quite a few things from
Ebay, though maybe not as many as you. I used to sell more stuff on Ebay
than buy. Many things I got sent have been in bubble envelopes.Unless the
person had smoked a lot and the package they were sending to me was in the
room where they smoked, I wouldn't notice.
You asked what part of the US I live in. Well right in the midwest as I
live in Iowa. In Iowa it seems to be either extremely hot or extremely
cold and where I'm at extremely dry or extremley wet. They always say about
Iowa if you don't like the weather to stick around a day and it will
change.
:I'm not familiar with Canada except we used to go there fishing several
years
ago on the Red River. Now I would like to go to Ontario and hunt
ancestors which has nothing to do with this printing forum.

I have no idea where Red River is. I think you may mean this:

"The Red River flows through several major urban areas along its path
including Fargo-Moorhead and Greater Grand Forks in the United States and
Winnipeg in Canada. The Red is about 550 miles (885 km) long.[2] The US
portion is 395 miles (636 km) long and the Canadian portion is 155 miles
(249 km).[3] "

I am a long way from there.
Most of population of Canada is within 200 miles of the US border. Toronto
has similar climate to Detroit, Chicago and New York city. Extreme heat in
summer, and cold in winter.
I receive more packages through UPS or Fedex than through the USPS. In
fact USPS seems slower than the other services and not as easy to track on
line.
Your delivery system sounds complicated. My UPS delivery man just leaves
my package sitting by my door and if it is raining he puts it in a plastic
bag first. The Fedex man leaves it by the porch door and leaves a note on the
front door that I have a package. Sometimes I have even found our
packages sitting in the car if the doors aren't locked.

They would never do that here. Though they may leave packages at some houses
or on the porch. They would only leave a UPS or Fedex card if you were not
home and you can phone to ask them to deliver another day when you will be
home. In a high rise building with 100 apartments, they would not leave a
package. Not that all people are honest, but its not the same as a house. In
a large building anybody could be passing by your door and doors are quite
close together.Anyway, its more likely we would get packages delivered by
Canada Post and if you are not home, they would do the same thing as UPS,
leave you a card to pick up the package at the post office. Slightly
different than courier.
Of course the same people
deliver all the time and know that this is OK with us. My son's girlfriend
lives 25 miles away and she can't believe that we don't have to be here to
accept delivery.

So its the same in parts of the US as here. The delivery company do not want
to be responsible if someone else picks up the package.
If you find you don't care for Abacus ink, then read some of the forums and
see what others recommend. Choose a highly recommened brand. From what I
have found the same suggestions turn up frequently. I still prefer
refilling because I know that I am getting black pigment ink instead of
just photo black for my text printing. I think a lot of the aftermarket ink
cartridge sellers use photo ink in the larger BCI 3e cartridges instead of
the more expensive pigment ink. You kind of have to read the fine print.

I think the BCI 2e ink I got from Abacus is the same ink as STaples
compatibles though I don't know. You're lucky you refill your own. I don't
think I would have patience. I am not sure about Abacus ink yet. I have
already finished one magenta and only have one left. I've used other colours
too, and there was only 2 of each colour and 3 each for the two black carts,
so the colour ones will be gone first.
Hope some of this helps instead of confusing you further. There is an old
saying about the blind leading the blind and that is probably what I am
doing right now. I'm searching for the words that "techie" people use and
they just don't come to me.

I don't think you are confusing me further. I don't mind learning. You seem
to know a lot about inks, and good for you, doing your own refilling. A lot
of guys do that, but I personally don't know any women who do.

Mary

Stick

Mary said:
<snipped:

All Snipped (for speed)

Hi Mary,

When you use Kodak papers it is advisable to go to their web site and
download a profile of your printer. This allows it to print correctly on
their paper. This is some thing we have to do in the UK, don't know about US
though. I would also recommend your try your nearest Cartridge World and
give their inks ago, preferably getting your carts refilled. It is quite
likely that your problem is caused by the Abacus carts, they do not have a
good reputation in the UK.

Many cartridges bought online and also some bought in retail outlets contain
Generic ink ( not formulated for any specific cartridge), this can be the
main problem. Inks used by Cartridge World ARE formulated for a specific
cartridge or group of cartridges so tend to be better than most others.

Hope this may be of some help.

Stick

measekite

Stick said:
Hi Mary,

When you use Kodak papers it is advisable to go to their web site and
download a profile of your printer. This allows it to print correctly
on their paper. This is some thing we have to do in the UK, don't know
about US though. I would also recommend your try your nearest
Cartridge World and give their inks ago, preferably getting your carts
refilled. It is quite likely that your problem is caused by the Abacus
carts, they do not have a good reputation in the UK.

After many do not heed the warnings about ink that is not recommended by
the printer mfg I do enjoy reading about the problems and how some in
this ng defend the reason for the problem instead of presenting the
solution. And that is follow the mfg recommendations. This is usually
found in the manual but most do not like reading the manual. Instead
they would rather listen to other fools.
Many cartridges bought online and also some bought in retail outlets
contain Generic ink
Generic ink is ink that is not OEM. There are only two kinds of ink for
a printer. That can be summed up as THE RIGHT INK and the WRONG ink.

Your name

@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

Instead they would rather listen to other fools.

Not true; we don't listen to you. And take your cast of equally empty
characters you also post as, elsewhere.

Mary

Stick said:
Hi Mary,

When you use Kodak papers it is advisable to go to their web site and
download a profile of your printer. This allows it to print correctly on
their paper. This is some thing we have to do in the UK, don't know about US
though. I would also recommend your try your nearest Cartridge World and
give their inks ago, preferably getting your carts refilled. It is quite
likely that your problem is caused by the Abacus carts, they do not have a
good reputation in the UK.

I am in Toronto Canada. I did a search and found Cartridge World has 600
locations in the U.S. and 20 locations in Canada, half in Ontario and one is
near me. I live in the suburbs. There are 5 stores in total in Toronto area.
One is near me. Others are nowhere near. Toronto is a huge city. I guess
Cartridge World just do refilling. I have been using Staples compatible
cartridges for years and they've been OK, till I had a problem with one
colour clogging. They are a bit cheaper than OEM's but not as much different
in money as there used to be. I prefer compatible carts if possible. I used
an ink refiller when I had an Epson printer years ago. I found with the
Epson I was always at the refillers. I am using Abacus compatible carts for
the first time and haven't found them too bad. I am still trying them out.
Its too soon to give my opinion of them. I think I might check out printing
photos at Walmart photo machines. I've never tried them. Home photo printing
takes so much ink and is expensive.

Do you mean get Kodak Easy software to get the profiles? I think there are
profiles in Kodak paper insert. But I've never used it. I've used the same
Kodak paper for years but recently I can't find it in stores. Its always
printed fine with the settings I use in Irfanview, so I didn't have a need
to download a profile.
Many cartridges bought online and also some bought in retail outlets
contain Generic ink ( not formulated for any specific cartridge), this can be the
main problem. Inks used by Cartridge World ARE formulated for a specific
cartridge or group of cartridges so tend to be better than most others.

According to Abacus web site and according to the ink in the boxes they sent
me, the ink is suited to Canon IP4000 which is what I have. Printer models
are listed on their site for you to choose your model.
Hope this may be of some help.

Thanks for the info. I might check Cartridge World out sometime if Abacus
doesn't work out. .

Mary

Stick

Mary said:
[...]

On the UK Kodak site, there is a section which allows you to download a
profile which is integrated into your printer settings. This then allows the
printer to print correctly onto Kodak Paper. Kodak paper is not thought of
well in the UK because of the problems associated with using it.
Stick

Mary

Stick said:
On the UK Kodak site, there is a section which allows you to download a
profile which is integrated into your printer settings. This then allows the
printer to print correctly onto Kodak Paper. Kodak paper is not thought of
well in the UK because of the problems associated with using it.
Stick

The soft gloss Kodak photo paper I've used for 4 or 5 years seems to print
quite well. I'll check the UK Kodak site to see if it gives a profile for
Canon IP4000 printer. Thanks.

Mary

Lou

Mary I'm going to snip out most of what we have written and just reply to a
few things that I will identify. I've been on vacation for the last week
and just got home or I would have replied sooner.

You mentioned you used Kodak paper. When I got my first Canon printer I had
gobs of HP paper of different varieties and Kodak paper. I found the Canon
printers didn't like the paper I had on hand so I switched to Canon paper
and eventually Kirkland paper also, which I use for photo printing. I
really like the Canon semi-gloss paper but I use it sparingly because of
price.

The troll Measkite keeps making nasty comments about printing and generic
inks. I don't comment back to him beceause it just starts a thread that
goes on and on. But I haven't used anything in my Pro 9000 yet except for
OEM and I use the printer sparingly. I actually have better color with
generic ink and the IP5000 compared to the Pro 9000, but the grain is much
finer on the Pro9000. What's funny is that the Kirkland paper actually has
less color cast than the Canon Photo Pro paper when I print on the Pro 9000.
I printed several 8x10s of a scanned photo of my son and his girlfriend and
I was really surprised by that. I had done a number of pictures or I should
say one picture from the camera with different settings on the 4x6 Photo Pro
paper trying to correct the red cast. I believe the paper is almost as
important as the ink. I have a old Canon G1 camera and a Konica Minolta
camera. Sony bought out K M. so I hope I never need repairs. I take lots of
pictures.

I don't think refilling is that hard, man or woman. I am not mechanically
minded at all. Sometimes simple things like changing batteries are a
challenge. Certainly everytime we get a new electronic gadget such as a TV
or VCR I feel really challenged, but ink refilling isn't hard. It takes
very little time. I generally wait until I need to refill several
cartridges instead of just one. I have paper towels handy if I need them and
yes every once in awhile that happens for one reason or another. I do it on
a surface saver placed very near to the kitchen sink. I have the hot glue
gun ready before I start and the tape handy to put on top of the vent hole.
I recap the bottles after filling the syringe even if I think I might need
more than what is in the syringe. I don't want to be a klutz and knock the
bottle over. Just cautious habits. Really, it is not hard and it takes very
little time. If I get a drop of ink on something or on my hands I use
Clorox Clean Up to make the stain go away. It's just personal preference I
guess.

I think it was the Red River and it goes through S.D. because we had talked
about fishing in S.D. too. Winipeg sounds familiar. I remember a historic
port we visited a couple of times and there was some kind of a museum ship
too that was close to the campgrounds. It's been a lot of years ago. Once
we drove across Ontario to get there but after that I think we came up
through the Dakotas. I always wanted to go back to Ontario and search for
my Canadian ancestors that migrated to MO but never did. The name Selkirk
comes to mind, but I don't know why.

Anyway, good luck and happy printing with whatever kind of generic
ink/cartridges you choose.

measekite

Lou said:
[...]

That makes sense. And Kodak paper does not work well in a Canon printer
as per Canon.
and I use the printer sparingly. I actually have better color with
generic ink and the IP5000 compared to the Pro 9000,

I do not believe you
but the grain is much
finer on the Pro9000. What's funny is that the Kirkland paper actually has
less color cast than the Canon Photo Pro paper when I print on the Pro 9000.

Kirkland paper (can no longer get the same Ilford made Swiss paper) has
somewhat more ripples in the glossy media but can hold its own against
Photo Paper Pro when used with Canon ink.
I printed several 8x10s of a scanned photo of my son and his girlfriend and
I was really surprised by that. I had done a number of pictures or I should
say one picture from the camera with different settings on the 4x6 Photo Pro
paper trying to correct the red cast. I believe the paper is almost as
important as the ink. I have a old Canon G1 camera and a Konica Minolta
camera. Sony bought out K M. so I hope I never need repairs. I take lots of
pictures.

I don't think refilling is that hard, man or woman.

It is a messy nuisance that can ruin your printer, fade your prints more
rapidly and produce lower quality results. That is the conclusion of
every worthwhile review.
[...]

What a nuisance.
I think it was the Red River and it goes through S.D. because we had talked
about fishing in S.D. too. Winipeg sounds familiar. I remember a historic
port we visited a couple of times and there was some kind of a museum ship
too that was close to the campgrounds. It's been a lot of years ago. Once
we drove across Ontario to get there but after that I think we came up
through the Dakotas. I always wanted to go back to Ontario and search for
my Canadian ancestors that migrated to MO but never did. The name Selkirk
comes to mind, but I don't know why.

Anyway, good luck and happy printing with whatever kind of generic
ink/cartridges you choose.

If you use generic you will not sustain happy printing.

Frank

measekite said:
That makes sense. And Kodak paper does not work well in a Canon printer
as per Canon.

I do not believe you

Kirkland paper (can no longer get the same Ilford made Swiss paper) has
somewhat more ripples in the glossy media but can hold its own against
Photo Paper Pro when used with Canon ink.

It is a messy nuisance that can ruin your printer, fade your prints more
rapidly and produce lower quality results. That is the conclusion of
every worthwhile review.

Liar! You need to get a life or maybe a real brain. Drink more oem ink,
maybe that will help get rid of your quicker.

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

Nobody makes even a facsimile of CLI-8 ink since it is new and
Canon has patents on it.

It's not that new dude. They were available in japan in 2004. You
know this is true because you complained about one aftermarket company
that accidentally sold BCI-7 ink before the ip4200 came out. You
laughed your little heart out.

But the point is you can't laugh at a company that got a shipment of
aftermarket BCI7/CLI-8 ink and then claim it doesn't exist.
The best advice is to use Canon ink in a Canon printer.

You know they made another change in the inks?

http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=2323&t=news_canon_pixma_ip3600_und_ip4600

They are now smaller and cost more per page? Are you going to tell us
there is a technical reason for it?

measekite

It's not that new dude. They were available in japan in 2004. You
know this is true because you complained about one aftermarket company
that accidentally sold BCI-7 ink before the ip4200 came out. You
laughed your little heart out.

Nobody has duplicated the new CL8 ink and now Canon is releasing an even
newer formula. Do not listen to the aftermarket liars.

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

Nobody has duplicated the new CL8 ink and now Canon is releasing an even
newer formula. Do not listen to the aftermarket liars.

You said so your self two years ago or so. A company sold the
duplicated ink for bci-6 printers and the colors were off. I know you
did lie as enough users complained about the results.

It was an honest mistake, one that you flooded this group with so why
do you lie now?

Now, near as I'm aware, there isn't ChromaLife100+ after market ink on
the market yet, but we don't know for a fact it's a new ink formula.
It tests better in dark album tests on PR202 paper, but that sounds
like a paper improvement not ink.