info on the PostReflect utility

Mazzaroc

HI

I am doing the integration of Vista with SP1 to create a DVD of Vista
SP1 64-bit.

Now, I can not understand what exactly is the PostReflect utility.
Someone could explain me?

THANKS

BYE

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The new command line tool, PostReflect.exe, ensures that boot critical drivers are reflected
so that images can be deployed to various hardware configurations. PostReflect.exe must be
run offline on images that are updated to Windows Vista SP1 to ensure the operating system
boots. It can also be run on customized Windows Vista RTM images to ensure that all boot
critical device drivers are reflected, and that the image can be deployed to various hardware configurations.

Ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766123.aspx

HI

I am doing the integration of Vista with SP1 to create a DVD of Vista
SP1 64-bit.

Now, I can not understand what exactly is the PostReflect utility.
Someone could explain me?

THANKS

BYE

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Mazzaroc,
See this link:
The boot critical driver projection tool, PostReflect.exe, is used to
reflect all boot critical device drivers out of the driver store in an
offline image.

Driver reflection is the process of installing a driver on a computer that
might or might not have a device for that driver. Typically, this involves
copying the driver files to the destination location so that the driver can
be loaded by the operating system during the boot process. If all of the
boot critical drivers are reflected in the image, it can be deployed to
various hardware configurations.

After Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is applied online, this tool must
be run on the offline Windows image because SP1 contains boot critical
drivers for the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and matching changes to
the kernel. If the changed versions of boot-critical drivers for the HAL
and the kernel are not correctly installed on the computer that you are
deploying to, the operating system will not boot, nor will the image boot
on any computer that has a different CPU or hardware configuration.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]