inexpensive large-format printer?

alabaster

I self-publish music scores and would like to find a laser printer which can
handle large and irregular paper.

-Most of the scores I print require 11x17 paper.
-I occasionally need to print on 13x19 and fold over, booklet-style.
-Sometimes I print on irregular sizes which I cut myself (9x12, etc.)

Any recommendations for a printer which will do the trick? I am a student,
and need to keep the budget below $300, so I'll probably buy one used off of
ebay. Right now I'm looking at the HP 4v / 4mv, but I'm not sure if these
will handle 13x19 paper or irregular sizes.

I would prefer a laser printer because I have had bad luck printing music on
inkjets--they're too slow and tend to streak, and I find myself running out
of ink constantly. But if anyone can recommend an inkjet printer that
woon't have these problems, I'd be willing to check it out.

Thanks,
chris.

Stanley Krute

Hi Alabaster
-I occasionally need to print on 13x19 and fold over, booklet-style.

That'll be the hard size to find a B/W printer for.

I use an HP 5000, which is a great printer, but it's limited
to 11 x 17.
I am a student,
and need to keep the budget below $300, so I'll probably buy one used off of
ebay.

That may be tough. If a B/W printer that does tabloid-size
paper is in good condition, it's hard to imagine it selling
at your price point. But, hey, it's worth a shot.

Best of luck,

Stan

Dewaine Chan

A good used HP LJ 5Si will do 11X17 and could be under $300. ANother real cheaper
one si HP LJ 4MV.

Dewaine

Brian Lehen

From: "Stanley Krute" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:10:24 GMT
Subject: Re: inexpensive large-format printer?

Hi Alabaster

That'll be the hard size to find a B/W printer for.

I use an HP 5000, which is a great printer, but it's limited
to 11 x 17.

That may be tough. If a B/W printer that does tabloid-size
paper is in good condition, it's hard to imagine it selling
at your price point. But, hey, it's worth a shot.

Best of luck,

Stan
Hmmm, we must have a special HP 5000, we routinely feed it 12 x 18 for full
bleed tabloid with crops&bleeds....

Brian

Quadrajet1

Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:10:24 GMT

Hi Alabaster

That'll be the hard size to find a B/W printer for.

I use an HP 5000, which is a great printer, but it's limited
to 11 x 17.

That may be tough. If a B/W printer that does tabloid-size
paper is in good condition, it's hard to imagine it selling
at your price point. But, hey, it's worth a shot.

Best of luck,

Stan
Hmmm, we must have a special HP 5000, we routinely feed it 12 x 18 for full
bleed tabloid with crops&bleeds....

Brian >>

The HP5000 LaserJet is capable of up to 12.2 in by 17.83 in paper. Close to
the DIN A3 size, which is around 12.2 by 17.2.

I have one of the 5000n's, but haven't decided if I want to keep it or not
yet. I also have the LJ 4000tn with a duplexer, and it does everything I need
from it.

Raymond

Marek Williams

Hmmm, we must have a special HP 5000, we routinely feed it 12 x 18 for full
bleed tabloid with crops&bleeds....
The HP5000 LaserJet is capable of up to 12.2 in by 17.83 in paper. Close to
the DIN A3 size, which is around 12.2 by 17.2.

The 5Si/8000 family will take paper up to 11.7 by 17.7 inches, but you
have to do it from tray 1 (manual feed tray), which will hold only
about 100 sheets of normal weight paper. If the printer has a duplexer
it will even print two-sided on that size paper.

The 4v and 4mv (PostScript version) will do the same size, but I don't
think a duplexer is an option for them.

Of course, obtaining paper that size means a trip to a real paper
store or distributor. You'd probably have to buy it in larger sizes
and cut it down. Call local printers to find out where they buy paper.
Such paper outlets typically offer one free courtesy cut; i.e., if the
paper comes in 26 x 40 inch parent size you will need several cuts to
get all of it down to 11.7 x 17.7, and they will give you only the
first cut free. Office supply stores max out at standard 11 x 17.

I see 5Si and 5SiMx (PostScript version) going on eBay for under $300
all the time. They're heavy beasts, though, so best to wait until one
shows up close enough where you can pick it up. These printers go for
millions of copies, so as long as it's in working condition, don't
worry about the page count. Another advantage of the 5Si/8000 family
is that you can get toner from all kinds of remanufacturers and the
cost is the lowest of all laser printers ever manufactured.