Indian police arrest tech support scammers at 26 call centres

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
New Delhi police have arrested 63 suspects in the last two months working and operating 26 call centers that were engaging in tech support scams, posing as tech support staff at Microsoft, Google, Apple, and other major tech companies.

The raids on Delhi-based call centers have taken place over the last two months, Microsoft said. Police first raided 10 call centers and arrested 24 people in October, and then raided 16 other call centers and made 39 more arrests this week.

Microsoft said its staff received over 7,000 victim reports associated with the 16 call centers raided this week, from over 15 countries. Users reported paying between $100 and $500 for unnecessary tech support services and products.

The raids resulted in the seizure of substantial evidence including call scripts, live chats, voice call recordings and customer records from tech support fraud operations, Microsoft said.

Source: ZDnet

Good.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
There is also a call center in India pretending to be PayPal customer service. They instruct you to install some remote access software and then say, "I am going to make a secure connection to the server so your screen will go blank for a few minutes." While the screen is blank they make charges to your PayPal account.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious, I think a large proportion of the spam/scammers come from India to be honest, You only have to see the sort of stuff we have to remove from this site to work that out. ;)

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
Sometimes if I call customer service and I can't understand the Indian, I make them transfer me to an English speaking person ;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner! It seems like some of these companies have been getting away with scamming people for years. Glad they seem to be clamping down on it!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me mate Ajay who works as a chef down the Golden Lion Curry House reckons if those folk are stupid enough to let somebody with a New Delhi accent talk them into coughing up readies then they deserve to be fleeced.

Mr Flops doesn't necessarily agree with Ajay but he has a point ;)

Ask a Question